GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Lemon GTI or par for the course?

amsr

Ready to race!
I have a 2017 Golf GTI SE DSG that I bought new in December of 2017 (5/2017 build date) that has been in the shop at lot. It’s had the following issues:

- Sunroof rattle
- Cracked/leaking washer fluid reservoir
- Failure of the adaptive headlight turning mechanism (twice)
- Failure of the secondary air pump (twice)
- Coolant leak from thermostat
- metallic rattle between 1500-2000rpm (unresolved)
- Failure of window regulators (2 of them)
- AC smells like mold, and it keeps coming back despite my treating it with Klima Cleaner.
- Various infotainment bugs/errors with CarPlay that don’t seem to have a fix.

These issues all occurred within the first year of ownership.

Is this par for the course with a MK7 GTI? Or is my car abnormally unreliable? I’m trying to figure out what I should do with this car. I love it to death but I’m hesitant to push for a replacement if I’m just going to have the same issues again with a newer one. Is the mk7.5 improved? Is the R any better?

Last edited:
My 2018 S has had zero issues in 25,000 miles.

My 2019 Rabbit has had the stalling issue and ran terrible on the new 0w-20 oil. Killed the O2 sensor. Stalling resolved with ECU reset and car runs better on 5w-40.

With VW, it's hit or miss.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I have a 2017 Golf GTI SE DSG that I bought new in December of 2017 (5/2017 build date) that has been in the shop at lot. It’s had the following issues:

- Sunroof rattle
- Cracked/leaking washer fluid reservoir
- Failure of the adaptive headlight turning mechanism (twice)
- Failure of the secondary air pump (twice)
- Coolant leak from thermostat
- metallic rattle between 1500-2000rpm (unresolved)
- Failure of window regulators (2 of them)
- AC smells like mold, and it keeps coming back despite my treating it with Klima Cleaner.
- Various infotainment bugs/errors with CarPlay that don’t seem to have a fix.

These issues all occurred within the first year of ownership.

Is this par for the course with a MK7 GTI? Or is my car abnormally unreliable? I’m trying to figure out what I should do with this car. I love it to death but I’m hesitant to push for a replacement if I’m just going to have the same issues again with a newer one. Is the mk7.5 improved? Is the R any better?

Not par for the course at all. I would be pissed.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
Definitely not par for the course. I’ve owned two MK7 GTIs, both 2015’s, for over 100K miles total between them and have never had a check engine light, or needed any other kind of warranty work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wongatron

Passed Driver's Ed
Somewhat mixed for me, my 2015 mk7 S i kept until about 80k, no problems whatsoever except the hatch lock motor went out around 60k. My 2019 SE dumped its engine at 500 miles, running along now at just under 3k fingers crossed.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
2 yrs 20k a couple of steering button glitches..AA is occasionally wonky. Yours stinks sorry

L26_BRO

Passed Driver's Ed
2016 S model...bought at 20k.

Issues:

Entire time...error leave gearshift in P position issue. Only happens occasionally

25k...ignition cylinder sensor went bad covered by warranty.

40k-60k...thermostat issues turned out to be the infamous waterpump. Had to pay out of pocket but if I'd taken it to the dealer before 60k I'm sure it would have been covered.

65k...faulty PCV was passing oil residue that triggered EPC for MAP sensor. Replaced the PCV for $110 problem solved.

Running solid at 67k miles now.

CDM MK7

Ready to race!
I've had a sunshade rattle, a module inside the steering column dislodge from it's place and cause a clicking sound when you turn the wheel, all my doors creak like an old sailboat (felt trim), coolant light came on because of low fluid once, and a number of infuriating issues with CarPlay - (specifically when I've turned off data when not on WiFi for Apple Music - takes 5 minutes to load an album unless I force quit Apple music).

Other than that, she's been a sweetheart.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
I had one issue with my 2016 GTI (condensation inside headlight until due to bad seal) and it was covered under warranty. This platform is reliable and thats the reason i am planning to buying a 2019 Rabbit next week.

zinfamous

Go Kart Newbie
I had one issue with my 2016 GTI (condensation inside headlight until due to bad seal) and it was covered under warranty. This platform is reliable and thats the reason i am planning to buying a 2019 Rabbit next week.

well, I'd say put in a generous test drive and make sure it doesn't stall if you're going with 6MT.

Being me, I'd let the dealer know my intentions too, going into the test drive.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
well, I'd say put in a generous test drive and make sure it doesn't stall if you're going with 6MT.

Being me, I'd let the dealer know my intentions too, going into the test drive.

Buying a DSG, so i am not extremely worried about that issue. Still i will be doing an extended test drive before signing the dotted lines.

Sumfuncomet

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 Mercedes E63 S
2017 Alltrack 44,500 miles 6mt, absolutely zero issues. Tuned and driven with gusto......oh, the little hatch door forward in console flapping around. All good