GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Left foot braking in Golf R for autox

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
Thinking about learning LFB, but what to make sure the car will respond well to mid-corner lfb with the haldex. I do have a tune with throttle cut removed so no worry there. DSG so not even a third pedal to worry about.

My thought is that in slow corners I can both encourage more rotation with weight shifts and get some bonus brake boost on the turbo as well.

Does this work like I expect it would? Obviously there's a lot of learning to do here, so before I start doing all my DD with LFB to get the feel I'd like to know I'm not wasting my time!

ianisme1

I can't answer your very specific question but I can tell you that LFB works totally fine in a Golf. My GF has a DSG GTI and that's how I drive it. In fact, due to a misunderstanding in the 90s, that's how I drive all automatics. On my first trip to the USA I was also presented with my first ever automatic rental car. I just assumed that two pedals, two feet meant that I had to learn to LFB. It took a few days to get the sensitivity right, but I feel totally at home doing it now. I still prefer my own manual GTI!

turbojzrr

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R
Sorry to bring back an old thread but I’m looking for some clues on how to do this better. I find that the existing golf seats and restraints do not hold me back enough in the case of braking.

The brake pedal is a little too far to the right and I feel that I need to keep my left foot on the resting pad to keep me from sliding forward. Hence it is difficult to LFB.
Has anyone found a good wide left / brake pedal?

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
Sorry to bring back an old thread but I’m looking for some clues on how to do this better. I find that the existing golf seats and restraints do not hold me back enough in the case of braking.

The brake pedal is a little too far to the right and I feel that I need to keep my left foot on the resting pad to keep me from sliding forward. Hence it is difficult to LFB.
When looking to hold yourself in the seat i have seen people do many things but here are a few options that work easily:
1. Lower your seat, backrest, and lumbar support, then lock the seat belt. Exhale, pull the belt right, and give the belt a tug to lock the autolock mechanism. Now raise the seat, backrest, and lumbar into position. This works incredibly well with some practice.
2. Use another belt of any sort and wrap it around the seat and lock it under your arms. For autox this is fine, but don't do this in a high speed setting.
3. Get a child belt lock and lock the bottom of the belt for a snugger fit. Again, autox only, no track use.
4. Get the belt tight tug until it locks, then undo the belt and twist it a few times to shorten it, then clip yourself back in. Lots of people do this, but I feel it ruins the belt.
5. Get a schroth harness. You don't need the nice one unless you plan to do high-speed stuff and do want a hans.

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT

Use the heel toe method instead of your left foot for the brake pedal. Or is that just a method for us with manual transmissions?

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
Use the heel toe method instead of your left foot for the brake pedal. Or is that just a method for us with manual transmissions?
I'm regard to autox heel toe is a needless skill. Once you're in second gear, you'll stay there.

On a road course, Left foot braking is typically after you've done your downshifting while braking and heel toe. You transition feet and start priming the throttle as you get to the apex and that gives full boost coming out of corners. Without the extra throttle, you have to deal with the turbo lag coming out of corners. You'll find professional drivers that do and don't left foot brake... It's still debated and up to some preference, just like alignments.

In autox, since there's no heel toe effort, you just use your left foot on the brake all the time. Like go-karts.

turbojzrr

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R
On a manual it might be debatable due to the complexity that it brings but on a DSG it seems to be a no brainer.

You can use left foot on the brake to reduce reaction time between your right foot switching pedals, and also the added ability to be able to gas and brake at the same time which dynamically changes the brake bias.

i mean, on a DSG if I’m not braking with my left foot, all it’s good for is sitting on that foot rest while my every other limb is put to good use.

That being said is still not a intuitive thing to do especially if you have driven years on the streets and have no left foot control.

turbojzrr

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R
When looking to hold yourself in the seat i have seen people do many things but here are a few options that work easily:
1. Lower your seat, backrest, and lumbar support, then lock the seat belt. Exhale, pull the belt right, and give the belt a tug to lock the autolock mechanism. Now raise the seat, backrest, and lumbar into position. This works incredibly well with some practice.
2. Use another belt of any sort and wrap it around the seat and lock it under your arms. For autox this is fine, but don't do this in a high speed setting.
3. Get a child belt lock and lock the bottom of the belt for a snugger fit. Again, autox only, no track use.
4. Get the belt tight tug until it locks, then undo the belt and twist it a few times to shorten it, then clip yourself back in. Lots of people do this, but I feel it ruins the belt.
5. Get a schroth harness. You don't need the nice one unless you plan to do high-speed stuff and do want a hans.
These are great suggestions, thank you!

I will try the raising seat trick and if not try the others.

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
The pedal too far right is definitely something i find to be true. I might build an adapter plate to slide it over a bit. I'm definitely considering the schroth harness for better body control, my mid back definitely feels it at the end of an autox.

Using LFB daily (when I was actually driving my car daily...) definitely helped with the feel. Just practice in an empty lot first, you're going to look like a first time driver bucking the car every time you stop.

I'd still be interested in any pointers on technique for sure, the trail brake to throttle is tricky and I'm not comfortable enough with it to do it in autox yet, but the couple times I've gotten it right on the street (at way lower limits) it's been great.

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
Use the heel toe method instead of your left foot for the brake pedal. Or is that just a method for us with manual transmissions
On a track at least, any time you need to brake to transfer weight when you aren't downshifting in a manual should be a left foot brake otherwise you're leaving time on the track. Completely different technique than heel toe downshifting.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
I only had my car untuned for about 300 miles. Do the stock cars actually let you get onto throttle with the brake depressed? I thought a lot of manufacturers disabled that after the whole runaway prius thing a while back?

As far as techniques for getting into it, practice on the street, go out at night, and try to find the right turns at green lights where you can press the brake and get your rear to turn around you. You don't have to be speeding or anything, just brake late and try to "push" the brake towards the corner's apex. As the apex approaches you want to ease up on the brake and start rolling into the throttle. You have to have all the traction ninnies disabled, and definitely be careful.

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
There is at least 1 switch in the tune for it, and it's enabled (cut throttle if brakes applied) on the stock tune. I know Eurodyne disables it, not sure about the others, but most of them probably disable it as well.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
There is at least 1 switch in the tune for it, and it's enabled (cut throttle if brakes applied) on the stock tune. I know Eurodyne disables it, not sure about the others, but most of them probably disable it as well.
Unitronic disables it.

So stock cars can't be on both throttle and brake? No sense in left foot braking unless tuned then.