GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Leaking Front Shocks. Common?

dickt

Ready to race!
Both front shocks are leaking and require replacement. Car is 3 years old with 32,000 miles on it.

Cost of replacement, UKP675.!!!
VW have not yet agreed to pay..............

All I can say to everyone is to check your shocks on a Mark 7 while your car is in warranty!!!

jeffkro

Go Kart Champion
Yeah, I saw that once it a while I was working at a Nissan dealership. It happens, not that expensive replace them and move on. If its not covered under warranty you might price it at an independent shop. If you get aftermarket struts just make sure they are good ones.

\w/

Ready to race!
unreal...

my previous car had close to 100,000 miles, bought it new in '07, and NEVER did anything to the suspension. When i traded it in, i was told the shocks were in excellent condition.

Hobby55

Ready to race!
Do you have them? If so perhaps time to get an expert to look at them, for that age and mileage they shouldn't have gone unless you've been driving over speed bumps at speed for the past 3 years!

dickt

Ready to race!
Yes, I have them. They are still on the car.

The moral of this story is for all Golf owners to check their shocks at least once a year. They are clearly not reliable on the Mk 7 Golf.

VW have refused to contribute anything, even though the car has only 32,000 miles on the clock.

Hobby55

Ready to race!
No one else has reported the issue and many have done far more miles than you so it's unfair to say that they are not reliable... The ones on yours aren't, clearly, but that's because they could have been faulty... So as I said...

Get a report.

If you are in the AA or RAC get in contact with them, if not try Honest John (the Telegraph's Motoring Consumer Expert)...

If I had to pay out that sort of money I'd be trying every avenue...

dickt

Ready to race!
The AA "Members' technical helpline" were as much use as a chocolate tea pot. They have, however, suggested that Dekra expert are the best firm to examine a component part. I will contact them. I will take up your suggestion about Honest John. I like his website.
The AA and the dealer have both been astounded by VW's attitude. I guess the lies and corruption caused by dieselgate have put the penny-pinching beancounters in charge, so every penny has to be saved for the USA billion dollar penalties and lawsuits.

I have worked in the past in a huge corporate when they issue the penny saving edicts. It is no fun.

Internexus

Ready to race!
The key thing here is to submit a ticket with VWoA and whatever your federal agency is for highway/traffic safety (In the USA this would be NHTSA). These are the steps that will transcend into a recall if one is deemed necessary in the future.

baldybouncer

My golf has gone in today for the squeaking suspension issue AGAIN! and they have sent me a video listing the car requires new shock absorber as it's leaking badly...

This will be me last VW - sick of the poor quality they are passing off as good these days....

Attachments

• golf.jpg
    golf.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 811

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3
I would say the moral is, get your first MOT a week before your warranty expires.

LOL had to look up what MOT was. A UK inspection thing apparently.

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
I would say the moral is, get your first MOT a week before your warranty expires.

You can get your MOT carried out up to a month before it's due. This is what I do, so if your car is still under warranty and there are any issues such as leaking shock absorbers like the OP has experienced, you would hopefully stand more chance of getting them fixed under warranty.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
my previous car had close to 100,000 miles, bought it new in '07, and NEVER did anything to the suspension. When i traded it in, i was told the shocks were in excellent condition.

LOL.. you were lied to, unless "excellent" merely means they weren't leaking.

Stock shocks are cheap units, and are generally pretty well worn by 30-50k miles.

My advice to the OP is to buy a quality shock like the Bilstein B4 or B6, if he intends to keep the car for an extended period of time (like 50k+ more miles). These are warranted for as long as you own the car (at least here in the USA, unsure about your warranty over there), and should easily last 100k miles or longer before needing a rebuild or replacement - and if that does happen Bilstein will cover you.