GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Leaking Antenna

sdmcoupe

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2015 VW GTI SE
My sharkfin antenna is leaking.

Has anyone replaced theirs? Can you access the nut under the headliner by just pulling it down a bit in the rear?

Unfortunately, it appears you have to buy a replacement antenna assembly. The seal cant be purchased separately.

Thanks,
Rob

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
Are you certain it's the roof antenna that's leaking and not the grommets attached between the roof and gate? If you've done the Euro tails I'd check there first. That antenna can be a pain to disconnect.

Also if it's just a leaking gasket, why not just remove the antenna, apply some silicone sealant (like caulk) and remount?

sdmcoupe

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2015 VW GTI SE
Are you certain it's the roof antenna that's leaking and not the grommets attached between the roof and gate? If you've done the Euro tails I'd check there first. That antenna can be a pain to disconnect.

Also if it's just a leaking gasket, why not just remove the antenna, apply some silicone sealant (like caulk) and remount?

I have a small water stain right above the antenna so assumed that's where the leak was. After pulling off the rear trim panel for the headliner and running a hose it appears your hunch was correct. I'm getting a leak from one of the two gaskets (yes i had euro tails installed, previous owner).

Thanks so much for replying. Very helpful!

dinaywhat

Car(s)
GolfMKV
If you want to replace it yourself, you'll need to remove the small part that looks like part of the housing. Then remove the antenna nut. You just have to unscrew the nut a little bit, gently catch the cable because chances are it'll fall out in an awkward place that will be hard to get out of. It isn't necessary to tighten all the way because the nut shouldn't squeeze too hard. In some ways, this may remind you of replacing the fin on an outdoorlifecafe.com board.
In general, I don't really trust these antennas; I like more systems without them. In fact, they are of little use, and there is always something wrong with them.