GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

KW Suspension

DesertRat47

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm learning that lowering a car with DCC is a PITA. There aren't many options to keep the electronic dampers, and of those options I'm reading lots of bad things.

Bilstein Damptronic B16 - Overly stiff and apparently easy to end up riding on the front bump stops?

KW DDC - Finding many that have had issues with spring binding. Revised springs since launch. Can anyone verify this? Has anyone had any luck with this kit?

KW V1 - V3 - Worth it? Any good? I'm seeing mixed reviews.

I'm nervous to delete my DCC. For those that have done it, did you regret it?
I’ve been running the MSS Sport springs with my DCC with zero problems. They track well and are adjustable - albeit a pain in the butt. They handle stage 3 power with no problems. Are they the best? No, that’s reserved for KW and Ohlins.

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion
I’ve been running the MSS Sport springs with my DCC with zero problems. They track well and are adjustable - albeit a pain in the butt. They handle stage 3 power with no problems. Are they the best? No, that’s reserved for KW and Ohlins.

I was considering the MSS kit, but it's basically not adjustable. You have to take the whole assembly apart up front which takes forever. Fine tuning is essentially impossible.

I was on KW V1s and they felt great, but they were way too soft and I was rubbing up front like crazy. My wheel setup is not that aggressive either. 19x8.5 +45. Eibach pro kit with stock DCC was even stiffer than the V1s.

I've since moved over to Bilstein B16 Damptronics. Contrary to everything that's been said about them, they are superb. I've been meaning to write a full review on them. Will do so soon.

HuntR

Go Kart Newbie
So like too soft on compression? How low were you?
Glad you’re happy with the Bilsteins. It’s all a bit of a gamble of unknowns to find something that works for you. I’ll need to stick with B6 Damptronics/stock ride height.

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion
So like too soft on compression? How low were you?
Glad you’re happy with the Bilsteins. It’s all a bit of a gamble of unknowns to find something that works for you. I’ll need to stick with B6 Damptronics/stock ride height.

Yes, compression was too soft. It was like having stock compression but with a lowered car. My fenders were touching the tire on bigger bumps. Thankfully, I didn't do any damage up front other than wear spots on my fender liners. I would have been better off with something that was compression adjustable.

The Damptronics feel tighter. They are stiff, but that's not how I would describe them. The damper quality is evident, even over large bumps. Very smooth, tight, responsive. No bottoming out or riding on bump stops either, as some have reported. I'm assuming people just don't know how to set them up properly. There is a specific height range that the perch must fall within. 235 to 245mm from the center of the bottom pinch bolt. The front springs also have a specific orientation.

There are plenty of extra threads to go lower if I wanted to, but that's when you start running into those issues I mentioned. The kit lowers the car 1.5" overall, then you get the additional 10mm to play with. I'm sitting at a little less than a one finger gap with the fronts at the 235mm height. Like I said, I'll prob write up a complete review and start a new thread referencing both this one and the others related to this. I'll also post up a spreadsheet of all the replacement hardware with parts numbers and torque specs.

Last edited:

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
Yes, compression was too soft. It was like having stock compression but with a lowered car. My fenders were touching the tire on bigger bumps. Thankfully I didn't do any damage up front other than wear spots on my fender liners. I would have been better off with something that was compression adjustable.

The Damptronics feel tighter. They are stiff, but that's not how I would describe them. The damper quality is evident, even over large bumps. Very smooth, tight, responsive. No bottoming out or riding on bump stops either, as some have reported. I'm assuming people just don't know how to set them up properly. There is a specific height range that the perch must fall within. 235 to 245mm from the center of the bottom pinch bolt. The front springs also have a specific orientation.

There are plenty of extra threads to go lower if I wanted to, but that's when you start running into those issues I mentioned. The kit lowers the car 1.5" overall, then you get the additional 10mm to play with. I'm sitting at a little less than a one finger gap with the fronts at the 235mm height. Like I said, I'll prob write up a complete review and start a new thread referencing both this one and the others related to this. I'll also post up a spreadsheet of all the replacement hardware with parts numbers and torque specs.
Very well articulated.

I like my B16’s for daily duty, as well as autocross. I’m sitting at about 24 events so far this summer, and they fit what I wanted. A competitive daily driven car.

On comfort setting they are firm, not stiff and jarring. I too ensured the proper range of adjustment per Bilsteins recommended range of settings.

HuntR

Go Kart Newbie
Yes, compression was too soft. It was like having stock compression but with a lowered car. My fenders were touching the tire on bigger bumps. Thankfully, I didn't do any damage up front other than wear spots on my fender liners. I would have been better off with something that was compression adjustable.

So how are you doing with these? I am considering the B16DCC's over the B6DCC/stock springs now because of availability.

SneakyDeeky

Ready to race!
I have a set of ST v3 coilovers for sale (made by KW just not stainless steel). I had them installed on my car for 6 months. I have the DCC cancellation modules too.
Make me an offer. Local pickup in SoCal only. Huntington Beach.