GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

KW Street Comfort or KW V3 or B12

Yumichika

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm looking for new coilovers and need some advise. Currently I'm running on B12, so I'll put it as a benchmark. B12 is a balanced kit for me, except a little more harshness.

So what I care about is ride quality > reliability > other things. For KW what I most warry about is the reliability since having heard of the leaking issue. Does it often begin to leak less than 30000 miles?

jmason

Go Kart Newbie
I believe that HPA and KW are the same in external design. If that is indeed true, I'd be careful because HPA/KW does not adhere to the interface points of the strut assembly as defined by VW. Specifically, the location of the swaybar end link attachment point is closer to the inside of the car than stock. I had an issue (using Superpro LCA and CSS swivel) where the swaybar endlink ball joint was hitting the car body. No way to easily fix the problem, so the HPA kit was sold (could not return). As best as I can tell, Bilstein does not have this issue. I will know for sure soon as I have just purchased the PSS10 kit (although I just learned they are on backorder).

Last edited:

2015WhiteGTI

Go Kart Champion
I believe that HPA and KW are the same in external design. If that is indeed true, I'd be careful because HPA/KW does not adhere to the interface points of the strut assembly as defined by VW. Specifically, the location of the swaybar end link attachment point is closer to the inside of the car than stock. I had an issue (using Superpro LCA and CSS swivel) where the swaybar endlink ball joint was hitting the car body. No way to easily fix the problem, so the HPA kit was sold (could not return). As best as I can tell, Bilstein does not have this issue. I will know for sure soon as I have just purchased the PSS10 kit (although I just learned they are on backorder).

It must have been due to the CSS swivel as I have the SuperPro LCA with the HPA/SHS coilover kit with no issue of hitting the car body.
I wouldn't have thought that would make that much of a difference, but I guess it does.

Yumichika

Passed Driver's Ed
Thans for that. Seems not to be a problem since there is no HPA in my region...

KW is common here so The figment is just fine. All I worry about is the leaking issue. And if kw v3 could be adjusted to be less harsh than B12, I will just choose it.

Koni FSD may also be a good choice but what troubles me is also the leaking issue.

B12 being harsh? For my personal perception it's soft. Which one exactly to
you own, B12 Pro or B12 Sportline?
You could also try DG springs with either your existing Bilstein B8 or Koni Str.t.
Koni FSD are not designed to be used with lowering springs.

Hammersticks

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'16 GTI, '18 e-Golf
I agree with breaking badly. Check my build thread for input on various combos including B8's, FSDs, HPA (similar to KW V1) etc.

I don't know how soft the V3 or street comfort kits go, but it's hard to imagine anything being smoother and forgiving as the B8's.

Per my thread the B8's/DG was the best comfort-wise setup for me. Handling definitely suffered but if that's not important to you then it's a viable combo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yumichika

Passed Driver's Ed
OMG! Thanks for reminding me about the FSD fitment, almost forget about that :eek:

I'm running on B12 pro kit and yes its nearly perfact. The only problem is the rear bump, it feels like something heavy bumping in my trunk when rolling over big gaps... Guys have idea about this?

So I'm indeed satisfied with B12. The only motivation for changing coilover is my new TT swivels, which need swap 50mm struts to 55mm ones. So far the B12 is still in the first position of my choices.

Yumichika

Passed Driver's Ed
It must have been due to the CSS swivel as I have the SuperPro LCA with the HPA/SHS coilover kit with no issue of hitting the car body.
I wouldn't have thought that would make that much of a difference, but I guess it does.

I also have interest in SACHS coilovers. But I have some confusion about that.

I browsed the webpage of SACHS Performance have find that only one coilover set fits MK7 called SACHS COILOVER SUSPENSION SYSTEM (CSS). Is this the same thing with SACHS SRE?

Besides, how's the ride comfort of SACHS coilovers? Thanks in advance:p

CLDuckworth1

Ready to race!
Ive just ordered the KW Street Comfort for my Golf Estate/variant and look to doing the Powerflex handling pack poly bushes.
Specs - 50mm strut, IRS and heaviest spec GVW

I look to do this upgrade in the next 4weeks and will update you accordingly
Connor

2015WhiteGTI

Go Kart Champion

I browsed the webpage of SACHS Performance have find that only one coilover set fits MK7 called SACHS COILOVER SUSPENSION SYSTEM (CSS). Is this the same thing with SACHS SRE?

Sorry, the Sachs SRE is the clutch I have, not the suspension. I have the HPA SHS suspension.

It's the same as there's only one line of coilovers made by Sachs currently.
'SRE' = 'Sachs Race Engineering', that's Sachs' racing devision who do both
professional racing suspension (for Volkswagen Motorsport, BMW, Ferrari etc.)
as well as uprated aftermarket clutches and coilovers.
Sachs 'SRE' CSS do ride nice and are well made, though based on experiences
with earlier GTIs they're still a tad stiffer compared to B12 Pros. Remember the
same applies to almost any coilover kit. If you can live with that you can't go
wrong with Sachs.

;)

CLDuckworth1

Ready to race!
My KW SC have arrived and will be going on sometime during the next few weeks.
The fronts are rated at 966-1090kg
The rear are rated at up to 1050kg and are progressive wound.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk