GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

JB4 Map 2 to Unitronic 1+

Cptnjosh

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Sport
I know there a plenty of threads on the differences between the two, but I need some advice. Currently running a JB4 Map 2.

Once again, there is a Unitronic sale. Considering getting the Stage 1+ software, with possibly adding the TCU tune along with it. Can anyone, provide their experiences from making the same jump? Is it worth it? I don’t expect a huge jump in power but wondering if the overall experience is that much better to justify the cost.

I am at about 30k now. Thanks for your insight!

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI
I don't think you've fully utilized what the JB has to offer. I would've gotten a downpipe and played around with map 6 before making that kind of decision. But if you want to go to a flash tune I'd pick up a downpipe and go stage 2 ECU/TCU.

Tjbell

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2021 GTI SE DSG
Can't compare, But I am UNI stage 1 + and stage 1 DSG and love it. much better than my mk6 GTI that was Revo stage 2

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
At stage 1 power levels I wouldn't bother if you have a JB4. You have boost by gear which is good for a FWD car. If you plan to stack the two, then I say go for it. Def consider map 6 tuning.

I know there a plenty of threads on the differences between the two, but I need some advice. Currently running a JB4 Map 2.

Once again, there is a Unitronic sale. Considering getting the Stage 1+ software, with possibly adding the TCU tune along with it. Can anyone, provide their experiences from making the same jump? Is it worth it? I don’t expect a huge jump in power but wondering if the overall experience is that much better to justify the cost.

I am at about 30k now. Thanks for your insight!

Cptnjosh

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Sport
I don't think you've fully utilized what the JB has to offer. I would've gotten a downpipe and played around with map 6 before making that kind of decision. But if you want to go to a flash tune I'd pick up a downpipe and go stage 2 ECU/TCU.

Your right. I have contemplated going the DP route. Was thinking UR catted and resonated to keep the noise down. I guess i could play with map 6 a bit.

That being said, I am not so concerned with outright power (map2 is plenty), but the quality of the driving experience and the delivery of said power. Can I refine the experience to be less on and off on map 6?

Thanks for the response.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Your right. I have contemplated going the DP route. Was thinking UR catted and resonated to keep the noise down. I guess i could play with map 6 a bit.

That being said, I am not so concerned with outright power (map2 is plenty), but the quality of the driving experience and the delivery of said power. Can I refine the experience to be less on and off on map 6?

Thanks for the response.
You can shape the boost curve with map 6. Do you not like how map 2 drives? What don't you like? I've only used map 6 ever.

Cptnjosh

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Sport
At stage 1 power levels I wouldn't bother if you have a JB4. You have boost by gear which is good for a FWD car. If you plan to stack the two, then I say go for it. Def consider map 6 tuning.

You might be right Zumble but I was thinking the power delivery would be more refined than the JB4. Maybe I am missing something not trying map 6 though....

Dp might be a better investment at this point. Thanks for the input.

Cptnjosh

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Sport
Can't compare, But I am UNI stage 1 + and stage 1 DSG and love it. much better than my mk6 GTI that was Revo stage 2

Yeah, people seem quite pleased with their product.

billbadass

Drag Racing Champion
with jb4 and map 6 I am getting slight DSG slip so I'd recommend if going with a tune just do the DSG at the same time. that said I'll be doing COBB because you can sell it again later to get money back and the COBB+DSG is cheaper and you can have someone like EQT do remote pro tune and get better results, plus if you ever upgrade it scales with whatever you want to do.

Cptnjosh

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Sport
You can shape the boost curve with map 6. Do you not like how map 2 drives? What don't you like? I've only used map 6 ever.

It’s really fine, and I am quite satisfied with it. Sometimes I think the boost can be a bit abrupt though. Also, i like the idea of using more timing advance with the uni tune to lower boost levels for turbo longevity

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
It’s really fine, and I am quite satisfied with it. Sometimes I think the boost can be a bit abrupt though. Also, i like the idea of using more timing advance with the uni tune to lower boost levels for turbo longevity
Do you have a log of a 3rd gear pull from your car? Get a datazap.me account and put the log up there. You can use that to start shaping your map 6 boost curve. Also make sure you're using the most current JB4 firmware. There was a version that had some issues with part throttle boost being too aggressive.

Cptnjosh

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Sport
with jb4 and map 6 I am getting slight DSG slip so I'd recommend if going with a tune just do the DSG at the same time. that said I'll be doing COBB because you can sell it again later to get money back and the COBB+DSG is cheaper and you can have someone like EQT do remote pro tune and get better results, plus if you ever upgrade it scales with whatever you want to do.

Yep, i think i have felt the same occassionally. I have also considered the eqt cobb ap route with dsg tune

mustache rash

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI
I had JB4 and ran map 2 for a year on my ‘17 gti dsg. I flashed to Unitronic stage 1+ and was underwhelmed. Didn’t feel any faster but it was a tad smoother.

I since have totaled my ‘17 and got a MK7.5 to replace it. I am once again running JB4 and I have no desire to flash to unitronic.