GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

JB4 install

ebg18t

Ready to race!
But again, its only a small number of MT owners who's clutches actually fail.. Its just got a bad reputation from mostly all the DSG (i can't drive a MT so i'll bash it crowd).

It’s a curiosity based on the amount of clutch upgrade threads. I wonder if people are just upgrading the clutch like adding an intake. Not necessarily needed, but sounds cool to do.

Recchione04

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 Volkswagen GTI
Its just got a bad reputation from mostly all the DSG (i can't drive a MT so i'll bash it crowd).

Lmfao that made my day

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

GTI-Jay

Ready to race!
I studied the 2018 vw warranty book carefully. The clutch is not covered in any way. I could be proven wrong though.

Can't of studied too hard cos it took me all of 8 seconds, straight from here

Maintenance services and mechanical
adjustments
This limited warranty does not cover the cost of
parts and labor involved in any scheduled maintenance service. Scheduled maintenance services
are described in the Maintenance section of this
booklet.
This limited warranty does not cover the replacement of spark plugs, clutch discs, filters, oil, lubricants, fluids, or air conditioner refrigerant
charge, unless their replacement is a necessary
part of warranty service on a covered component.
Mechanical adjustments not associated with a
defect in manufacturer's material or workmanship are not covered after 1 year or 12,000 miles,
whichever occurs first (e.g. headlight adjustment). This limited warranty does not cover
wheel alignment * or tire balancing *.

stan23

Passed Driver's Ed
Im wondering the same thing haha it would raise some eyebrows in my opinion but if its not warranty related and its a personal choice, they shouldnt question it.. you'd think.

IMO, its similar to replacing tires, brake pads with something better than what the factory came with. I ordered new tires for my car at 200 miles.

GTI-Jay

Ready to race!
Its just got a bad reputation from mostly all the DSG (i can't drive a MT so i'll bash it crowd).

Lmfao that made my day

Yes its funny, go on the UK forums, where most people drive a MT and funny enough, the clutch is a lot stronger over there. :rolleyes: :D:D

stan23

Passed Driver's Ed
Can't of studied too hard cos it took me all of 8 seconds, straight from here

Maintenance services and mechanical
adjustments
This limited warranty does not cover the cost of
parts and labor involved in any scheduled maintenance service. Scheduled maintenance services
are described in the Maintenance section of this
booklet.
This limited warranty does not cover the replacement of spark plugs, clutch discs, filters, oil, lubricants, fluids, or air conditioner refrigerant
charge, unless their replacement is a necessary
part of warranty service on a covered component.
Mechanical adjustments not associated with a
defect in manufacturer's material or workmanship are not covered after 1 year or 12,000 miles,
whichever occurs first (e.g. headlight adjustment). This limited warranty does not cover
wheel alignment * or tire balancing *.

Dude, no offense but you are reading it wrong.

This limited warranty does not cover the replacement of spark plugs, clutch discs, filters, oil, lubricants, fluids, or air conditioner

GTI-Jay

Ready to race!
Dude, no offense but you are reading it wrong.

This limited warranty does not cover the replacement of spark plugs, clutch discs, filters, oil, lubricants, fluids, or air conditioner

You need to continue reading the next paragraph.. Where it says are not covered after 1yr or 12,000miles..

in other words, your clutch, plugs and whatever else they listed are covered up until 12k or 1yr.

;)

stan23

Passed Driver's Ed
You need to continue reading the next paragraph.. Where it says are not covered after 1yr or 12,000miles..

in other words, your clutch, plugs and whatever else they listed are covered up until 12k or 1yr.

;)

The 12k is adjustments. Not warranty.

I would love to be wrong, but research online says otherwise. Even here on this forum, collecting agreement is that clutches are not covered under any warranty. Some dealers may goodwill a repair, but black and white warranty? There is none.

GTI-Jay

Ready to race!
The 12k is adjustments. Not warranty.

I would love to be wrong, but research online says otherwise. Even here on this forum, collecting agreement is that clutches are not covered under any warranty. Some dealers may goodwill a repair, but black and white warranty? There is none.

that's because unless you're a drag racer all day every day, a clutch is going to last more than a yr and 12k.

Here why don't you do this seeing it really bothers you that much.. Call VW and say i'd like to buy a new VW gti, and i'm worried how long my clutch not being covered right out the door, and they will tell you 12months or 12k.

stan23

Passed Driver's Ed
that's because unless you're a drag racer all day every day, a clutch is going to last more than a yr and 12k.

Here why don't you do this seeing it really bothers you that much.. Call VW and say i'd like to buy a new VW gti, and i'm worried how long my clutch not being covered right out the door, and they will tell you 12months or 12k.

I just called 2 dealers. Vw Sunnyvale where I bought my car, and vw Reno (random dealership) just for a second opinion.

Spoke to service advisors, not sales. No warranty on clutches. Considered a wear item. No mention of 12k miles or one year limited warranty.

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Clutch is Warrantied 1 year or 12K but they can refuse if it's found that operator error was the cause for the failure.

It tells you they're not responsible for replacing the clutch disk because that's the part that the operator is going to fuck up. There's someone on here who had their clutch replaced under Warranty.

If you have a bad pressure plate in the first 12K, that shit is getting replaced unless you did something to it...and they can prove it. If you glaze the disc slipping the shit out of the clutch with high RPM launches, they're not buying you a new one, obviously.

GTI-Jay

Ready to race!
I just called 2 dealers. Vw Sunnyvale where I bought my car, and vw Reno (random dealership) just for a second opinion.

Spoke to service advisors, not sales. No warranty on clutches. Considered a wear item. No mention of 12k miles or one year limited warranty.

Coming from someone who says get a clutch first even before it fails, i'll just let it be known that i'm taking everything you say with a pinch of salt, if you get what i mean.

stan23

Passed Driver's Ed
Coming from someone who says get a clutch first even before it fails, i'll just let it be known that i'm taking everything you say with a pinch of salt, if you get what i mean.

Please do. We're all strangers on the internet.

You should really read what I wrote. OP, asked about tuning, and I told him to go easy on map 6 for his clutches sake. I didn't tell him to go out and buy a stage 2 clutch right away. There are reasons why APR does low torque tunes for MT cars.

Anyways, I'm absolutely not offended if you choose to think I'm full of it. Beauty of car forums, you get every opinion and you can form your own based on your own experiences.

Cheers!

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
Clutch is Warrantied 1 year or 12K but they can refuse if it's found that operator error was the cause for the failure.

It tells you they're not responsible for replacing the clutch disk because that's the part that the operator is going to fuck up. There's someone on here who had their clutch replaced under Warranty.

If you have a bad pressure plate in the first 12K, that shit is getting replaced unless you did something to it...and they can prove it. If you glaze the disc slipping the shit out of the clutch with high RPM launches, they're not buying you a new one, obviously.

Please do. We're all strangers on the internet.

You should really read what I wrote. OP, asked about tuning, and I told him to go easy on map 6 for his clutches sake. I didn't tell him to go out and buy a stage 2 clutch right away. There are reasons why APR does low torque tunes for MT cars.

Anyways, I'm absolutely not offended if you choose to think I'm full of it. Beauty of car forums, you get every opinion and you can form your own based on your own experiences.

Cheers!

Sorry stan, but you are wrong. JC explains in his post. That wording is even in the warranty book.