I did a search for jb4
There are TONS of results.

search:
site:golfmk7.com jb4
on google to display only results from this forum

Last edited:

dtran11

Go Kart Newbie
That's weird. I used the search option in this forum and it showed no results. Your method is the Google search engine method.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
That's weird. I used the search option in this forum and it showed no results. Your method is the Google search engine method.
Yeah the forum search function sucks on here. Last time I used it there was a minimum character requirement for searches and 3 characters doesn't actually run a search. Use the method I used above and it'll save you a ton of effort haha. Now you know for the future!

hotbascosauce

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
19 GTI SE DSG W/DCC
I installed JB4 on my 2019 at 2500 miles. I purchased it used. The guy I bought it from went APR tune because his warranty was up. No issues with it at all. In the PNW, the highest octane we can get is 92 so I am only using Map 1. Took about 45 minutes to install. Most of that time was fishing the OBD2 plug through the firewall behind the battery. It also depends on how "mod friendly" your dealer is. A local over here replaced his turbo with an IS38, and had his Cobb AP still installed. The dealer still replaced his head without mentioning the mods.

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
What if the unit fails to work. Worse case the unit fails to power on for what ever reason. It would be like the connectors to the engine are unplugged. I suppose the engine would not start which is safe enough but what about during driving? ?

I did read about some that did malfunction. The car would throw an engine light and would not run right. Its pretty rare for one to be bad. Not sure if any manufacturer has a 100% track record.

scasey

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2019 GTI
Since this thread is currently active, can I ask some JB4 questions. What do you get if you just buy the JB4 and no cables or bluetooth connections? Just Map 1? I hear people say they send logs for custom maps, is that still a thing?

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
ugh, at least buy the data cable, you wont be able to do logs at all if you dont have data cable or bluetooth, so you can only really be on a set map and leave it, which isn't that bad

scasey

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2019 GTI
I would get a data cable, I was just curious what happens if you don't get one since it is sold as an option. Thanks.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
No need to confirm with them, I experienced it. Had a bad unit that would randomly die (disconnect) on me. While driving, it would just start to hiccup/stutter, and then EPC light would come on. Sometimes car would go limp. I'll say it was annoying constantly worrying that the unit would die mid drive, but George replaced my unit with a new revision and I haven't had any issues since.

This is true. If the JB4 has a problem, the car may not start. It's rare that the JB4 has a problem though. Mine has been trouble free for 2 years now.

I would get a data cable, I was just curious what happens if you don't get one since it is sold as an option. Thanks.

You will be able to run the preset maps which are defined in the firmware you're running.