GOLFMKV

It’s time…2017 GTI pro detail

GoatAutomotive

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 VW GTI SE, DSG
Did the cone residue come off?
Sho' did!

But there's a slight dent from the incident. Almost invisible to those who don't know about it. Stormy's front end is properly f**ked from all the wretched commercial vehicles hauling rocks and dirt around CenTex, as well as this year's racing adventures.

She gots the #battlescarz. 👀 😈

GoatAutomotive

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 VW GTI SE, DSG
this could not have been more timely......was going to go professional, but family issues sucking those funds away, so now I need to do a full polish/seal myself.

What's the difference between 1-step sealant and finishing sealant?

What's the "beyone clay polish"?

I'm such a newb......I need to clay and polish with my PC, but am at a loss for WHAT to use (polish, pad type/color, etc)
1-step sealants try to involve some type of micro-abrasive to repair swirls and minor scratches in the clear coat, along with the sealant. It's a short cut approach, which I have never messed with or attempted.

The original Zymol, which was a wonderful product for its time in the 1990s and 2000s, did precisely this, but with a traditional carnauba wax component instead of a modern synthetic sealant.

This meant it didn't last as long, ~3-6 months depending on how the car was stored, washed and maintained. But it was still a 1-step approach. Just had to be done a few times a year.

The Beyond Clay Polish is an excellent product to be used as a polish for very minor/fine scratches in the clear coat. It smells like bubble gum and happiness. Use it after the clay bar, and before the wax or sealant phase.

I didn't use it this time, I only showed it in the display of products I love and endorse.

This time was all Meguiar's and Griot's Garage to get the results shown in these photos.

GoatAutomotive

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 VW GTI SE, DSG
What spoiler extension is on your car, looks like ECS maybe? I really like it, looks better to me than the Aerofab style flat ones.
ECS, sorry for just now catching this!

My ECS piece was on sale when I bought it, some crazy low price.

What you see in the pics for Posts 9-13 shows the spoiler precisely as it came, and how it ended up from years of hand washing (swirls and scratches) without a proper protective coat/sealant on it.

Then the post-detail results with the swirls 80% corrected (dramatic improvement).

khail19

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE
ECS, sorry for just now catching this!

My ECS piece was on sale when I bought it, some crazy low price.

What you see in the pics for Posts 9-13 shows the spoiler precisely as it came, and how it ended up from years of hand washing (swirls and scratches) without a proper protective coat/sealant on it.

Then the post-detail results with the swirls 80% corrected (dramatic improvement).

Thanks for the reply! I think I already asked you about it in your build thread a while back, you replied there as well. I have it on my car now as well!

GoatAutomotive

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 VW GTI SE, DSG
Bumping this little gem. Stormy was detailed in June. It's late November and I have noticed the following for the Griot's Boss Sealant:

1) It's f**king awesome. Thick, easy to use, forgiving to remove, and it smells like a clean woman's body wash.

2) It has made the car substantially easier to clean and maintain, as dirt can no longer bond directly to the paint. It's like a little invisible shell to protect Storm's skin. Love it!

3) Griot's lists this sealant as having a 6-month service life for one coat. Adding a second coat at 4-6 months is recommended. Keeping it shaded and/or garaged will potentially double this, along with using correct car shampoos on it.

4) Proper post-detail wash techniques are paramount:

I have a helpful document I put together for my customers that is several pages long, but shows you step by step everything to do and avoid to prolong your sealant, wax or detail work.

Has anyone ver successfully posted a PDF to these v-bulletin boards? I'd love to share it here for the masses.

Otherwise I'll restore the company website and post it there (like a normal 21st century adult, I know!) 😆 🙈 👀

I also just completed a paint correction project on a gigantic 2022 Dodge Ram 1500 Longhorn Edition for a customer. I can post those pics here if anyone is interested (for detail photos/examples of what's possible by hand).

Same procedure as Stormy, but this truck only had 16k miles, and the owner is a demigod at car care, so almost no polishing and swirl correction was needed. Just washing, claying (twice) and sealing.

His truck is a much sharper color than Storm: it's a platinum silver metallic that POPS in good lighting! 💪 ❤️