GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Issues with coolant expansion tank?

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
If it’s going down it’s going someone it shouldn’t.

joesid

Go Kart Newbie
I've always thought I've smelled coolant, around 20-30k noticed that the coolant resevoir was getting low. Topped it off, another few thousand miles it was low again. Thought it might be the waterpump or thermostat, took it to the dealer and they couldnt find a leak. They topped it off and coolant level has been pretty consistent since. I still smell coolant every once in a while, but still see no signs off leaks, no over heating.

Not sure if I should laugh or be concerned, but my car has the identical problem and mileage as yours. I've added about 16oz between the initial refill (28k) and a top up a couple thousand miles later (30k). My car goes in on Monday 2/17. Tempted to bet that my dealer will come to the same conclusion as yours.

I also smell coolant at times while driving.

mopar22

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
16 GTI
Your overflow cap is releasing vapor. That's what you are smelling. Have the dealership PRESSURE TEST THE OVERFLOW CAP. Look for a trail of dirt that starts below the coolant bottle and travels down to the front of the vehicle, along the frame rail, like in this pic:

View attachment 165069

I've had two Mk7's and they both demonstrated this.
So the fix would be a new cap then?

amsr

Ready to race!
Just checked my coolant today. It’s a bit lower than it was a couple months ago. The car has mainly been sitting since November because I’ve had an injured shoulder. I guess it must be leaking again?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Just checked my coolant today. It’s a bit lower than it was a couple months ago. The car has mainly been sitting since November because I’ve had an injured shoulder. I guess it must be leaking again?

Was it up to operating temperature when you checked it?

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
Get it topped up when cold and go from there, a clean sheet so to speak!

amsr

Ready to race!
Bumping this thread. I was told venting is “normal” for VW 2.0T engines, but this doesn’t seem normal to me. None of my other cars “vented” at normal operating temps. Has anyone rectified this problem by replacing the cap or reservoir? And yes, mine has that trail of dirt. The smell is strongest after the car is driven right near the little flap on the side of the overflow.

starfield

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
VW Golf 1.6L tdi
Hello everybody
I am just glad I found this thread. I just came back from a 500 miles road trip. In the last 1.5 miles of the journey, the 'check coolant' came up. Immediately afterwards there was a strong smell of coolant. When I reached home the expansion tank was completely empty and the cap was loose. I am so sure the cap was tightly closed last time I checked. Did the cap operated like a pressure release valve and emptied the tank?
I have to say that I accelerated hard uphill just before the light came on. The car is a 15 plate 1.6L tdci bluemotion with 44500 miles on the clock.

yakev724

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 S3
Interesting - been experiencing bit of smell, no coolant loss, both before + after replacing thermostat + water pump. Will try replacing the cap.

5Q0121321 seems like the right one

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
Hello everybody
I am just glad I found this thread. I just came back from a 500 miles road trip. In the last 1.5 miles of the journey, the 'check coolant' came up. Immediately afterwards there was a strong smell of coolant. When I reached home the expansion tank was completely empty and the cap was loose. I am so sure the cap was tightly closed last time I checked. Did the cap operated like a pressure release valve and emptied the tank?
I have to say that I accelerated hard uphill just before the light came on. The car is a 15 plate 1.6L tdci bluemotion with 44500 miles on the clock.
when was the hood last opened and by who? My guess is the cap was loosened accidentally and/or never tightened after someone added/checked fluid