GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

is38 Turbo & AutoX

ModdedMK7.5

Car(s)
2018 MK7.5 GTI
Hello, new member here. 😄👋 I have a burning question to ask. Has anyone ever autox a MK7/MK7.5 Facelift GTI with the is38 turbo upgrade? How much different is it compared to the is20 turbo and is it worth it? I drive a MK7.5 GTI that has almost every bolt-on part you can think of besides the is38 turbo upgrade and I autox my car while at the same time daily it. Any information is useful and appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_7198.jpg
    IMG_7198.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 53

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
How do golf Rs do in auto cross. Ever have problems with too much torque down low with the IS20? The IS38 isn't a very big turbo. The response from it when bolted to a 2.0 is actually quite good.

8055WAGEN

Go Kart Champion
I daily and Auto-x my GSW 1.8 with an IS38. Keep the RPMs up and it's always in power for the 60ish second courses I do.

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
How do golf Rs do in auto cross. Ever have problems with too much torque down low with the IS20? The IS38 isn't a very big turbo. The response from it when bolted to a 2.0 is actually quite good.

Very well...

Granted I am tuned, but I get into second gear as soon as possible and then stay there unless there's the occasional third gear course.

yakboyslim

Go Kart Champion
I haven't autocrossed my car, but have a few track days both with IS20 and with IS38. In my opinion, the IS38 is not big enough to cause lag issues. The spool may be a touch later, but lag is practically non-existent above the RPM where it spools.

In fact, my IS38 strat tune, and now DIY tune, actually feel like they have more response than my IS20 stage 2 ever did.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Nice, does the is38 feel any different as far as power or turbo lag goes? The courses that I run range from mid-50s to upper-40s.
Even on my 1.8, the IS20 and IS38 felt very similar from 3000 to about 5500. The IS20 hit harder below 3000, by a touch.

ModdedMK7.5

Car(s)
2018 MK7.5 GTI
I haven't autocrossed my car, but have a few track days both with IS20 and with IS38. In my opinion, the IS38 is not big enough to cause lag issues. The spool may be a touch later, but lag is practically non-existent above the RPM where it spools.

In fact, my IS38 strat tune, and now DIY tune, actually feel like they have more response than my IS20 stage 2 ever did
Thanks for the info. As far as the is38 turbo goes, besides making more power, how big of a difference it makes between the is20 turbo? Like better throttle response or anything in particular?

yakboyslim

Go Kart Champion
More power is the biggest thing. Throttle response wise its tough for me to say because my tunes were better on IS38 than they were on IS20. Throttle response comes a ton from the tune, like Zumble said above 3000 both IS38 and IS20 hit hard, so it really comes down to modulating that on track and that has everything to do with the tune.

starsmith

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 Urano Grey GTI
What kinds of speeds do you find yourself getting up to at autox? That would help us work out whether the extra power is useful or not. I'm a skeptic because autox is notorious for leveling the playing field with low-powered cars like brzs and miatas.

ModdedMK7.5

Car(s)
2018 MK7.5 GTI
What kinds of speeds do you find yourself getting up to at autox? That would help us work out whether the extra power is useful or not. I'm a skeptic because autox is notorious for leveling the playing field with low-powered cars like brzs and miatas.
Roughly around 50-60mph average for the course layouts I've ran so far. I don't really pay attention that much to my speedometer while I'm driving the course, as I'm more focused on looking ahead for the next cones.

starsmith

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 Urano Grey GTI
yeah I bet a IS38 would be a lateral move for your autox times. But lots of guys speak highly of the upgrade for its more enjoyable power delivery and top-end power. I can personally speak highly of running an E blend on the IS20 if you haven't tried it before and can get it. The spool and torque are ridiculous

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
yeah I bet a IS38 would be a lateral move for your autox times. But lots of guys speak highly of the upgrade for its more enjoyable power delivery and top-end power. I can personally speak highly of running an E blend on the IS20 if you haven't tried it before and can get it. The spool and torque are ridiculous

THIS. If ethanol and a custom ethanol tune is an option, you'll get much better throttle response, better torque, better spool.