GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

IS38 1.8T Info/Discussion

Armchair Racer

Go Kart Champion
In the video you can see after your 2-3 shift, you're at 4200-4300 RPMs. Again, this is going to hurt your acceleration relative to the DSG with the much shorter and closely spaced gears. You also shifted the 2-3 a little past 7K which will hurt your acceleration since you're well past where you want to shift.

Out of all the factory manual and DSG gearboxes out there for the MQB platform, yours is by far the worst. No other trans for this platform comes even close in terms of long ass gears. My best advice to you would be to go with the shortest diameter drag radial you can find. It'll make a big difference.

Heres the 3-4 shift look at mph and rev. (Blades car)
https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=Y3EJbwOa9Pg
Heres the 2-3 shift of my car
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1K1jMVaStlm-PqslTHB0dHddeTHQ3WfHp

But to cut down the drama, what ever my car traps is cool. I only roll race cuz of 150miles daily commute to school and its taken down some heavy hitters form 60rolls. . So whatever the case may be the 5mt has been doing awesome for me. And i still think its a decent trans for is38

H2OVWRacr

Passed Driver's Ed
Just a FYI, all of VW's published weights are with a full tank of fuel, not empty. So it makes sense that if the weight with a full tank of fuel is 3358 that yours would weigh 3280 with 1/3 a tank. Of course there will be other variables, such as vehicle options, scale differences etc. Was your spare in the car at the time you weighed it?

While weighing your car is cool, it still doesn't change the fact that you're dead wrong about the R DSG being heavier than the GSW 4Motion DSG. If you would've weighed an R with 1/3 tank of fuel and everything else the same as your wagon (kids toys etc), it would've weighed right around 18lbs less than your car since that is the weight difference between the two with everything else being equal.

And trap speed is not only power and weight nor is it that simple. There are many other variables at play, such as aerodynamics, traction, density altitude, gearing (including tire size), shift points and speed of shifts, just to name a few. For example, when C&D has tested certain European cars, one with a DSG trans and one with a manual, the DSG quite frequently will have not just a better ET but a higher trap. Both cars will have the same power and similar weights (if anything the DSG will weigh more) but the DSG will trap a couple MPH higher. So your statement was incorrect.

lololololol....I'm starting to understand what Ironshade was talking about. Congratulations, you might be the first person in history to argue that an internet listing is more accurate than a scale.

The car is brand new with 700 miles on it and absolutely nothing removed. Even the 5lb brick of an owner's manual is in the glovebox. So can you please show me the math that explains how 2/3 of a 13.2 gallon tank equals 88lbs? Hell, I'll even spot you the 10lbs of junk in the car and call is 78lbs. lol A gallon of gas weighs 6.2lbs. Show me the math. I can work backwards from my scale weight and get pretty close to the 3246 listed on the vw.com site with an empty tank. You're going to have a tougher time getting to 3358.

And you're right, my car wasn't that impressive for what it had done. Weight was the reason for that as well. You see, I'm a fatass and was giving up a hundred pounds to most of the other drivers. It's like I was running full interior when everyone else had the seats pulled...lol. With good air and a normal weight driver, I'm confident the car had a 11.2-11.3 in it. That being said, I ran that time almost a year and a half ago and it's still the record for an is38 R, so I'm pretty happy with it's performance. That A3 you like to keep referencing is still .3 off that mark. And shitty 60' will up the trap a bit. I had more than a few slips with a 120mph trap and crappy 60'. I just never bothered posting them because the et was garbage. And I don't see anything in that post you link that says the Audi didn't have seats or exhaust pulled. People quite often like to leave out that they pulled weight out to obtain a number. It happens quite often. Everyone misleads. Even I did it. That's why my record says full weight. I would post my times with full weight + 180lb. Which wasn't lying. It was just hiding the fact that I'm a fatass and had my seats pulled out.... :D

And I understand there are more variables in trap. But power and weight are by the far the 2 biggest in these comparisons as the other variables are quite similar.

Look at at this way. I've already told you that my setup was almost identical to Chuck's. And while the 1.8 makes impressive power and is close to the 2.0l, you agree that it's not possible that it's making more power. And all the other variables are almost identical(minus the DA, and 1000ft isn't offsetting even a 5% power difference), what other explanation is there for him trapping the same? I'm honestly curious what you think it is.

Armchair Racer

Go Kart Champion
I don't think you understand. It's not a question of which is more accurate. The weight of the Sportwagen with DSG and 4Motion you got is useless for this discussion without putting the other car, the Golf R, on the same scale on the same day. We're looking for consistency here between the two, not an accurate real world weight for only one of the two cars in question. It's kind of like dynoing your car on one dyno and somebody else dynoing theirs on a completely different type of dyno somewhere else. It's not an apples to apples comparison and numbers will vary depending on the dyno and other variables. Like I said, if you put the R on that same scale, it will weight less. Volkswagen has published accurate and more importantly, COMPARATIVE curb weights for both cars using the same set of variables (scale, fuel load, etc) and the R is always lighter as per the official VW specs.

Like I said, you're not accounting for vehicle options and scale inaccuracies. The scale you went on even says it's "NON-CERTIFIED." That's for farm and garden purposes which may or may not provide accurate vehicle weights. 3,280lbs plus the 2/3 of fuel difference @ 6.2lbs per gallon is roughly 60lbs. So that brings you to 3,340 with a full tank. You're now only 18lbs away from the VW published weight. That's pretty damn close especially when you factor in differences in scales and any equipment/options between the two Sportwagens in question (VW's and yours).

I believe the reason why he was trapping about the same was mostly from the higher compression ratio. That's probably worth 15-20 HP. His race weight may also have been 100lbs less than yours depending on how just how fat you are. It's tough to answer your question without knowing exact race weights, but as you know DA will also play a role, as will where starting IATs were for both cars at the start of the run. These cars pull timing depending on IAT among other factors. So as you can see, there are a lot of variables. But I do believe the 1.8T may be able to make almost as much if not the same power as the 2.0T but only the 2.0T in the R/TTS/S3 since those cars are at a disadvantage due to the lower compression ratio.

lololololol....I'm starting to understand what Ironshade was talking about. Congratulations, you might be the first person in history to argue that an internet listing is more accurate than a scale.

The car is brand new with 700 miles on it and absolutely nothing removed. Even the 5lb brick of an owner's manual is in the glovebox. So can you please show me the math that explains how 2/3 of a 13.2 gallon tank equals 88lbs? Hell, I'll even spot you the 10lbs of junk in the car and call is 78lbs. lol A gallon of gas weighs 6.2lbs. Show me the math. I can work backwards from my scale weight and get pretty close to the 3246 listed on the vw.com site with an empty tank. You're going to have a tougher time getting to 3358.

And you're right, my car wasn't that impressive for what it had done. Weight was the reason for that as well. You see, I'm a fatass and was giving up a hundred pounds to most of the other drivers. It's like I was running full interior when everyone else had the seats pulled...lol. With good air and a normal weight driver, I'm confident the car had a 11.2-11.3 in it. That being said, I ran that time almost a year and a half ago and it's still the record for an is38 R, so I'm pretty happy with it's performance. That A3 you like to keep referencing is still .3 off that mark. And shitty 60' will up the trap a bit. I had more than a few slips with a 120mph trap and crappy 60'. I just never bothered posting them because the et was garbage. And I don't see anything in that post you link that says the Audi didn't have seats or exhaust pulled. People quite often like to leave out that they pulled weight out to obtain a number. It happens quite often. Everyone misleads. Even I did it. That's why my record says full weight. I would post my times with full weight + 180lb. Which wasn't lying. It was just hiding the fact that I'm a fatass and had my seats pulled out.... :D

And I understand there are more variables in trap. But power and weight are by the far the 2 biggest in these comparisons as the other variables are quite similar.

Look at at this way. I've already told you that my setup was almost identical to Chuck's. And while the 1.8 makes impressive power and is close to the 2.0l, you agree that it's not possible that it's making more power. And all the other variables are almost identical(minus the DA, and 1000ft isn't offsetting even a 5% power difference), what other explanation is there for him trapping the same? I'm honestly curious what you think it is.

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
You can actually go on Car and Driver and download their hand written test sheets. I di this when I was trying to come up with an OEM+ spring set up for my car. According to their scales:
Golf R manual = 3,329lbs
Golf R DSG = 3,409
GSW4 DSG = 3,331
Alltrack DSG. = 3,497

Sparky589

Drag Racing Champion
Looks about right to me, I could see the weight difference between the R and sport wagon being due to the larger brakes and wheels.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Armchair Racer

Go Kart Champion
The problem is C&D doesn't specify how much fuel was in the Golf R DSG and GSW4 DSG when they tested them. That can be a huge difference. Going from a near empty tank in one car to a near full tank in the other can result in a whopping 180lb difference. That is, one car being -90lbs (near empty tank) and the other being +90lbs (near full tank).

You can actually go on Car and Driver and download their hand written test sheets. I di this when I was trying to come up with an OEM+ spring set up for my car. According to their scales:
Golf R manual = 3,329lbs
Golf R DSG = 3,409
GSW4 DSG = 3,331
Alltrack DSG. = 3,497

Ironshade

Go Kart Newbie
In the video you can see after your 2-3 shift, you're at 4200-4300 RPMs. Again, this is going to hurt your acceleration relative to the DSG with the much shorter and closely spaced gears. You also shifted the 2-3 a little past 7K which will hurt your acceleration since you're well past where you want to shift.

Out of all the factory manual and DSG gearboxes out there for the MQB platform, yours is by far the worst. No other trans for this platform comes even close in terms of long ass gears. My best advice to you would be to go with the shortest diameter drag radial you can find. It'll make a big difference.

You realize i’m stacked 6psi up top over apr’s tune from 5500-7000rpm 7k shift rev is good. All of chucks shifts were at 7k i have the logs to prove it. I know you don’t like the 5mt as i said before i’ll gapping all these fast cars on highway and everytime i sit in one gear and everyone opponent shifts they get farther and farther behind

Armchair Racer

Go Kart Champion
But it's much more complicated than that:

Golf R DSG:

Much bigger and heavier wheels and tires
Heavier 2.0T engine
Much more standard features and amenities than the GSW 4Motion DSG.

GSW 4Motion DSG:

Spare tire (Golf R doesn't have one)
A considerably larger vehicle. Yes both are built on the MQB platform but the wagon is still longer by about 11".

I'm sure I'm leaving out other differences too.

Too bad you can't get 4Motion and DSG on a base model stripper Golf TSI 1.8T. I'd definitely buy one lol.

Looks about right to me, I could see the weight difference between the R and sport wagon being due to the larger brakes and wheels.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Armchair Racer

Go Kart Champion
Let's see some videos of the races you're talking about. Because my S6 traps mid 120's and I guarantee you I'd hand you your ass from a roll lol.

You realize i’m stacked 6psi up top over apr’s tune from 5500-7000rpm 7k shift rev is good. All of chucks shifts were at 7k i have the logs to prove it. I know you don’t like the 5mt as i said before i’ll gapping all these fast cars on highway and everytime i sit in one gear and everyone opponent shifts they get farther and farther behind

Ironshade

Go Kart Newbie
Let's see some videos of the races you're talking about. Because my S6 traps mid 120's and I guarantee you I'd hand you your ass from a roll lol.

Working on setting up the rolls with the neighbors 16 hellcat auto, but tonight i’ll gunna play with my budies 2001 r1. They do 130mph stock with a rider. He’s probably going to molest me but at least we’ll have a gopro for vids and for shits and giggles

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
The problem is C&D doesn't specify how much fuel was in the Golf R DSG and GSW4 DSG when they tested them. That can be a huge difference. Going from a near empty tank in one car to a near full tank in the other can result in a whopping 180lb difference. That is, one car being -90lbs (near empty tank) and the other being +90lbs (near full tank).

A gallon of gas weighs 6.3 lbs. an entire full tank is barely 90 lbs. I would say that a give or take of 50 lbs is reasonable

Armchair Racer

Go Kart Champion
But the give or take of 50lbs could be in opposite directions on both cars making the net difference 100lbs (-50 vs +50).

A gallon of gas weighs 6.3 lbs. an entire full tank is barely 90 lbs. I would say that a give or take of 50 lbs is reasonable