GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Is this normal?

proton

Ready to race!
One of those things I've only really noticed after 2k or so miles, and I don't know if I'm being finicky or pedantic, but... when the engine (1.4 tsi 122) is started from cold or even luke warm, no matter the outside temperature, for the first 20 seconds or so of driving it's a bit sluggish, like poor firing, at very low revs, e.g rolling along in 2nd with almost no throttle. Of course now I've noticed it I try it every time just to see. This is normal engine behaviour isn't it? :)

Ronin3

Ready to race!
It doesn't sound like what I experience with my car.

Best to have any suspicions with the engine looked at by the dealer and see whether the diagnostic equipment shows anything.

If you do a lot of short journeys, the car may feel better after a good run.

fbouchard

Passed Driver's Ed
I experience this with my 1.8T (only available in North America). On cold start, the motor runs at Hi-revs (1200 rpm) for 20 secs. After that everything come back to normal rev and the motor become more silent. I think it's just some kind of pre-heat to make sure that enough oil is circulating in the Turbo and build some pressure into it on cold start.

On cold starts, I suggest you to wait these 20 sec before engaging the transmission and you will not experience any sluggish driving.

proton

Ready to race!
If you do a lot of short journeys, the car may feel better after a good run.

I have been doing a lot of short runs in recent weeks and haven't done a good long run. Will give its lkegs a stretch this weekend I think.

On cold starts, I suggest you to wait these 20 sec before engaging the transmission and you will not experience any sluggish driving.

I tend to drive away pretty much straight after engine start. I have wondered if this is a good idea.

fbouchard

Passed Driver's Ed
It's always a good idea to let the car run a bit before engaging the transmission on cold start. Like I said, give the motor enough time to pump oil in all the systems.

The best thing to do is to turn the engine on, wait about 10-30 seconds (put your seat belt and music on) and start driving it lightly. That way you are warming up the engine to it’s optimal temperature as fast as possible.

It's like stretching for human.

Last edited: