GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Is there a DIY fix for the rattling sunroof?

gokujou1

So I have been following this thread for a long time and wanted to add my experience to hopefully help others that find it.

Backstory:
I had a 2017 Autobahn and it creaked like none other with body twist after half a year or so.

I took it to the dealer a number of times to have all the TSB work done for it. They were never really able to fix it. Fast forward another 6 months, I was out of my car for roughly 4-5 of them in loaners while they tried things. The local dealer's shop also broke like 15 other things doing so. VW corporate stepped up and made things right though and replaced my car with a 2018.

Current Issue:
The 2018 started making this noise about 9 months in. To avoid the shop I just started trying to fix it myself as I love the car. I backed the sunroof off a little to avoid rubbing and this worked for a few months, but then it got real cold (about -20 F) and the sound came back worse. Then I found this thread from a video.

My Fix Attempts:
I first tried using the female side of velcro as I saw in a couple videos, but this didn't stop the noise. I placed a couple pieces on each edge and in the middle of the channel Techno Duck points out. Cleaning the rubber piece on the glass that sits in this did seem to temporarily help a little so my best guess was I wasn't preventing enough contact.

Second try I used the felt Techno Duck mentioned. Placing 7-8 inch swatches on each side the covered the full channel the rubber rests in (from the front edge of the plastic piece to the back lip of the channel, making sure to get a flush fit to the plastic). This also didn't fully stop the noise, but it did reduce it a lot. Thus I just applied felt to the full channel the same way to see, and so far I have been squeak/creak free for a couple weeks. I just get a tiny noise if there is a lot of body twist, but I have a couple small gaps in the the felt I assume the big twists sometimes let make contact.

I also use Gummi Pfledge to keep the visible rubber conditioned.

TeddyVW

I had same issue 3 months into a new 17’ SE. First trip to dealer they lubed everything and sent me on my way. Squeaks came back within a day. Next time back dealer contacted VWna and the recommended fix was loosening the entire sunroof and driving around parking lot to let everything settle, then tighten everything back up. Knock wood, quiet ride going on 13 months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gokujou1

I had same issue 3 months into a new 17’ SE. First trip to dealer they lubed everything and sent me on my way. Squeaks came back within a day. Next time back dealer contacted VWna and the recommended fix was loosening the entire sunroof and driving around parking lot to let everything settle, then tighten everything back up. Knock wood, quiet ride going on 13 months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Huh, didn't think to try that. Maybe I will try that as well and see if it stops even the occasional sounds.

KyACRASH

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI 6MT, 04 R32
It was kinda confusing when I first started looking at it, but what I did was slide the sunroof open like halfway first. Then, standing next to the driver's door looking toward the passenger side, I shined my flashlight between the sunroof and the car roof (shine between from inside the car) while looking down into the glass where the channels are. That really helped me understand what was down there, and how it relates to Techno's images he posted earlier.

Once I knew what I should be feeling around for, I got in the driver's seat and slid my hand (with a piece of felt) between the sunshade and the roof glass. You don't have a ton of room, but the ridge you want the felt on is only 2 inches or so behind where the sunshade stops. I was easily able to get my hand in the gap.

I did a quick sketch if that helps?
The sunroof in my 2015 started rattling a few weeks ago. Been driving me insane!

Finally found this thread, and this post has been so helpful! I'm a visual learner so thank you so much for the sketch. Going to try the fix tomorrow in the daylight. Fingers crossed...

spizzak

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7 GTI Autobahn
The sunroof in my 2015 started rattling a few weeks ago. Been driving me insane!

Finally found this thread, and this post has been so helpful! I'm a visual learner so thank you so much for the sketch. Going to try the fix tomorrow in the daylight. Fingers crossed...

How did it go? I have this issue pretty bad in a '16 I just bought.

dunkelweizen

Go Kart Newbie
I have a different variation of noise issue. My sunroof rattles only in the fully open position. I've tightened every bolt and screw that I can find and access to no avail. It only rattles over rough patches of the road (bunch of small bumps in close proximity), usuallly at lower speeds and not over big bumps.

With the sunroof in the full open position, when I use my hands to try and wiggle the glass panel near the attachment point up and down, the driver side is solid, but the passenger side will move a little bit (couple of mm maybe). Can't figure out what to tighten to get rid of this play as I suspect it could be the cause of this rattle.

If anyone with an understanding of the mechanics of this sunroof have any suggestions, I will be eternally grateful.

Cheers.

SnailpowerMk7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI SE 6SPD MT
lol, got me worried here boys! Thus far no noises but I haven't even tried opening it yet since NJ and it's cold as f.

I will say though, the sunroof sliding door doesn't sit exactly in a closed position. It slides back maybe 2 inches once I start driving. Like the force from the acceleration immediately slides it back 2 inches and then it holds. Isn't terrible but just wondering if that happens to anyone else?

absoluteczech

GolfMKV ADMlN
Car(s)
981 Cayman & GTI SE
I will say though, the sunroof sliding door doesn't sit exactly in a closed position. It slides back maybe 2 inches once I start driving. Like the force from the acceleration immediately slides it back 2 inches and then it holds. Isn't terrible but just wondering if that happens to anyone else?
its a common issue with the screen sliding back. i think someone said felt tape added somewhere gives it enough resistance to stop it