GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Is stage 2 worth it with 91 octane

LS954

Car(s)
2020 Ram
Debating on installing a stage 2 kit on my stock golf r but with only having access to 91 octane is it really worth it? I'm in San Diego and I know of one VP gas station but I dont see myself filling up there all the time.
Any of you guys with stage 2 with only access to 91 octane? What are your inputs?

Hollywood0220

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
German/Japanese
If you are just running Pump 91, stick with a Stage 1 custom w/an IC upgrade - best use of your funds M8.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I'm FBO and TPC20 turbo with 416 HP and 428 torque on 91 and use Torco to boost to 93 octane.

Hollywood0220

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
German/Japanese
If you are talking about the addition of a HFDP, then you will notice THAT difference - but, appreciable power not so much.
If doing the St1 with an E30 level - the "tangible" feeling would BIG TIME be there.
Just comes down to going with one tune with one octane or Two tunes with different octane (Daily & Play)....does that help?
A solid St1 with an IC would NET you in the neighborhood of >350ish BHP / an E30 St1Tune would NET you in the neighborhood of >390ish BHP. Caveat to the E30 is that it would be much much smoother.
St2 would get you another 20bhp, so that is why I suggest sticking with St1 - even when you are mixing.

Last edited:

ztorc

Go Kart Newbie
I'm in CA. I got Unitronic stage 2 ECU/TCU. It's a good tune for daily drive with the power to keep up with the 4 sec cars. You feel more power going from stock to stage 1 comparing to stage 1 to stage 2. Unitronic is having Larbor Day Sale right now.