GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Is my dcc broken?

FrostysR

Car(s)
2016 golf R
Hello, I made an account just to ask this question. So a couple of weeks ago my stock suspension golf R got a bent strut and it started rubbing on the driver front when id hit decent dips or bumps. I thought the alignment was jacked so that's how I found out the strut was bent. It was dipping so low and rubbing enough that it was actually pushing a spot in the fender out far enough to crack the paint. Cut to last weekend I replace the strut and while I'm at it I throw some stiffer sport springs. They only lowered the car 20mm. Cut to today im driving it in race mode. The ride is now super gnarly but real responsive and fun BUT it dips and rubs again and it pushes the fender out even further. Anyone got any ideas? Is my dcc in that one strut messed up? Its a brand new OEM strut ordered from the Volkswagen dealership directly. Did I do something wrong? I.e. damper adjustments or anything like that? I'm at a loss and I'm gonna have to get some dent work done now.

Al_in_Philly

Autocross Newbie
Your DCC has sensors which detect where each shock is in its movement, if they are off, it will affect how your DCC functions. That said, this ought not affect your track, pushing either wheel out, though your suspension mods might be changing your camber. If you are also running wider wheels, or wheels with a different offset, the combination may be causing the issues you describe.

FrostysR

Car(s)
2016 golf R
Your DCC has sensors which detect where each shock is in its movement, if they are off, it will affect how your DCC functions. That said, this ought not affect your track, pushing either wheel out, though your suspension mods might be changing your camber. If you are also running wider wheels, or wheels with a different offset, the combination may be causing the issues you describe.
It did this before installing the springs as well. My wheels are oem 19s on a 245/35

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
So I guess it’s important to figure out why the initial strut bent. Did it possibly damage the mount allowing for more travel letting the wheel go into fender. Struts don’t typically just bend. So something had to happen to get there.

FrostysR

Car(s)
2016 golf R
So I guess it’s important to figure out why the initial strut bent. Did it possibly damage the mount allowing for more travel letting the wheel go into fender. Struts don’t typically just bend. So something had to happen to get there.
Good point. I'll check the mount again but it looked fine when I replaced the strut

kevinkar

Drag Racing Champion
Are all the sensors (wherever they may be) all fully plugged in? Maybe something got knocked off and is not seated properly or has some dirt in it.

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion
No offense, but you need to take your car to a qualified tech.

Just the fenders alone are going to cost you more than it's worth to fix at this point. You've compounded the issue by installing the springs at the same time as the strut. It's very rare to have a bent strut unless the car has been in an accident. Even very large, deep potholes won't bend a strut unless the wheel is pushed in at a weird angle. The best way to track down an issue is by making incremental changes, one at a time, until you are able to figure out what's going on. Making multiple changes at once introduces too many variables.

Painting / replacing fenders is expensive, that combined with the money you've paid for parts and time you've spent trying to figure it out. Taking it to someone that can quickly find the issue and fix it would have prob been a wash by now. Or you can take it to VW, have them diagnose the car, pay the $100 diag fee, and fix the car yourself.

The stock tire size is 235/35/19. As others have mentioned several times in this forum, tire manufactures / models vary from tire to tire. There are some 235s that fit "bigger" than a 245. We really need more information to help you. If you are running a 245 tire and you are lowered, you are most likely going to rub from lock to lock, either on the inside fender liner, or on the fender itself. If the fender is being "pushed out," I'd say you probably have a bigger issue.