GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Is it a possibility to run staggered wheels on my R??

xChrisx718

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey everyone, so ive been told its not a good idea to run staggered wheels on an R. But some people have been telling me its possible. Ive seen plenty of R32's with staggered wheels. Which makes me think its possible. What are your thoughts??. Will it mess with the haldex system or no? Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. ????

iTsLiKeAnEgG

Ready to race!
I think if the diameter is the same you'll have no issues but what would be the point? When I was looking to purchase a set of wheels the widest you can fit comfortably on these cars is 8.5 with a 235 tire (with my current setup I actually had a slight bit of rub when moving rather quickly down a particularly uneven/wavy road yesterday). You might be able to get away with a 9 inch width but I don't see the sense in sacrificing front end traction and going with 8.5 front and 9 rear is rather pointless. I also wouldn't run less than a 235 tire because this is a performance car where traction is key.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Yes you can, the rolling diameter of the tires has to match tho or at least be very close.

There's tons of bagged and static R running staggered set ups, they probably aren't on this forum tho

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo
I'm doing it on a 4Motion GSW without any issues, you should be fine as long as the ODs are the same.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

veedubfreak

Go Kart Champion
Anything is possible. Just make sure you do the math. Theres no reason to run staggered wheels tho. You cant rotate tires properly so you're going to spend more wearing out the front tires.
I'm running staggered tires on my bug, because it is rwd and I'm lowered. Running staggered on a R is just basically a waste of money. But you do what you wanna do.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Seeing as he's bagged maybe he wants a more aggressive fitment then the 99% of our members here who're "slammed on DG springs" ha

I've had a variety of Volkswagens low and unpractical to quick and very practical (currently, my mk7). Just because it's not the norm around here doesn't mean it's wrong. I wish this forum had more low cars, and honestly can't wait for the mk4,5,6 kids to graduate to mk7.

Here's some staggered, static, mk6 pics of mine to make the cup kit guys cringe

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
Oh, it's wrong.

Reggie Enchilada

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
yes
Audi offers a reverse stagger on certain models. RS3 has it and since it's an MQB chassis, it should also work on our cars. 8.5x19 front and 8x19 rear. Supposed to make it oversteer a bit more on AWD/Quattro drivetrains. Not sure how the Haldex in an R or GTI would respond.

iTsLiKeAnEgG

Ready to race!
Seeing as he's bagged maybe he wants a more aggressive fitment then the 99% of our members here who're "slammed on DG springs" ha

I've had a variety of Volkswagens low and unpractical to quick and very practical (currently, my mk7). Just because it's not the norm around here doesn't mean it's wrong. I wish this forum had more low cars, and honestly can't wait for the mk4,5,6 kids to graduate to mk7.

Here's some staggered, static, mk6 pics of mine to make the cup kit guys cringe

I know that kind of wheel setup can look good on a bagged car when its static but when raised for driving that amount of poke would drive me crazy on my own car. It just screams poor wheel fitment.

LostDutchman

Why go wider on the front? On front weight biased cars wider fronts will reduce understeer (indirectly promoting oversteer). Better traction, more balanced handling, what's not to like?

I ran wider front tires on several fwd cars (no VWs) and know the potential for better performance. Is it worth it? That's up to the owner...most seem to go wider on both ends.

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
My take on these topics is to NOT go for the "stance" look. I don't want to offend anyone, but when a car it dropped to the ground it looks broken. Okay, if you're going for a show car cool. But if you want a road car that can handle bumps without worrying about scraping frame and actually handling well then go for no more than 1" drop and a square set of 18" wheels.

xChrisx718

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey sorry for the delayed response guys. Thank you for all the tips. And comments. Yes my mk7r is bagged, and right now im running 235/35/19 all around with around 1 degree of camber in the rear so it tucks nicely. I always have an issue posting pics on here so if you want to check out my IG. My ig name is xchrisxbk. Anyway, im going for a bit more agressive fitment for the rear, i really like the way staggered wheels look. And i was considering going 9.5 rear. Which would give me the fitment im looking for, plus the rims i have go concave after 9 inch. So it would give me alittle bit of an added visual look too as a bonus. Just wanted to know if 8.5 front and 9.5 rear would be a good idea. I think it would look dope and it would make for alittle bit more of an aggresive stance.