GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

iPhone 3GS...worth the arm and leg?

Tempted2Speed

is cooler than you
Car(s)
2007 GTI CW 6MT
Well my contract is expiring and I need a new phone. I dont have much money but do want a smartphone/ Iphone.

My decisions are either buying an unlocked Blackberry Bold 9700 or just buying the Iphone 3GS but wondering if its worth the 200$+tax and 30$ a month for internet(I wont have an internet plan with the BB, just like it for texting)

Lot of us mk5 owners are in the same situation(not alot of money and looking for best bang for the buck lol)

Notoriouswithag

Slow+semi-low
Car(s)
2007 GTI
Well my contract is expiring and I need a new phone. I dont have much money but do want a smartphone/ Iphone.

My decisions are either buying an unlocked Blackberry Bold 9700 or just buying the Iphone 3GS but wondering if its worth the 200$+tax and 30$ a month for internet(I wont have an internet plan with the BB, just like it for texting)

Lot of us mk5 owners are in the same situation(not alot of money and looking for best bang for the buck lol)

If your fine with the regular 3g you can always jailbraeak it and get free video recording apps that you can save to your phone, I ahd it on my 3GS but it got reformatted to the current 3.1 firmware and I cant jailbreak it again because there isnt software to break it yet.

Its pretty much your preference though, if your just going to use the phone to text get the Blackberry..

but Im temporarily using my g/f's Blackberry curve 8900 and I really want my iphone back because t I miss the ergonomics of the phone, plus the internet package is worth it..

Shan15

Ready to race!
3gS or bust.

its worth is over the regular 3g and also you can pick up a reburbd one off att's site for $150. And they are 16gb too.

07Jetta2.5

Double Stuffed
Car(s)
09 GTi BMP
Dude, having an iPhone is no different that having a Blackberry of any WinMo phone. Your still paying $30 a month for the data. What i would do is switch and unlock your blackberry, and just buy a sim card with at&t and then when the new iPhone comes out just upgrade then.

TN GTI

Volkswagger
If your fine with the regular 3g you can always jailbraeak it and get free video recording apps that you can save to your phone, I ahd it on my 3GS but it got reformatted to the current 3.1 firmware and I cant jailbreak it again because there isnt software to break it yet.

Its pretty much your preference though, if your just going to use the phone to text get the Blackberry..

but Im temporarily using my g/f's Blackberry curve 8900 and I really want my iphone back because t I miss the ergonomics of the phone, plus the internet package is worth it..

All 3Gs can be jailbroken?
I've jailbroken 5 or 6 of them two of my own.
The only thing is since the update yesterday you can't jailbreak yet. But I'm sure it will be out soon. and I didn't look at the features of it but I doubt it's anything at all besides bug fixes or something.

I had the 3g upgrades to 3Gs and I think it's faster and worth it, but i also made 200$ by upgrading. If you get a 3Gs now then it will be outdated this summer. So your best bet might be to buy something like the blackberry and try to make due for a few months until the new iPhone is out and then upgrade to that.

BlueWabbit

back being low.
Car(s)
2008 VW Rabbit
Funny I'm in the same dilemma, I have a 3G and I am eligible for an upgrade. The 3GS is worth it for the 3 main features that the 3G does not have. 1) Video camera using a 3 mega pixel camera it's nice and decent quality for what the iPhone can do. Plus you can crop the clips as well, which is pretty cool. You can store mins / hours of footage based on how much gigs you have left in your phone. Some phones can only do 15-30 seconds. 2) Voice Control ability is pretty cool by allowing the phone to communicate and change play lists all from the remote, pretty handy if you constantly change songs and don't want to bother going through the phone to do so. Also you can call people using the VC ability, hold down the home button and it'll pop up. 3) Faster processor really makes it nice opening up apps and much smoother on some graphic intense games.

The only thing I don't like about my current 3G is just the vid cam ability, I am looking at some apps but need to shop around for a good one. Besides the ability to not record, I'm content with my 3G, would've been perfect for those night out with friends. Anyways good luck with your decesion, you'll probably have to pay for the data plan anyways for a black berry, iphone, palm or any smart phone, it's like an option that can't be negotiable, I'm going on a limp that so don't quote me on that but everything else is negotiable. If you text a lot just get the 20 unlimited texting and lowest minutes, plus roll over minutes is great from cingular, one of the few things I like about cingular.

mikegabriel

Banned
Car(s)
2008 GTI MKV
BlueWabbit said:
Funny I'm in the same dilemma, I have a 3G and I am eligible for an upgrade. The 3GS is worth it for the 3 main features that the 3G does not have. 1) Video camera using a 3 mega pixel camera it's nice and decent quality for what the iPhone can do. Plus you can crop the clips as well, which is pretty cool. You can store mins / hours of footage based on how much gigs you have left in your phone. Some phones can only do 15-30 seconds. 2) Voice Control ability is pretty cool by allowing the phone to communicate and change play lists all from the remote, pretty handy if you constantly change songs and don't want to bother going through the phone to do so. Also you can call people using the VC ability, hold down the home button and it'll pop up. 3) Faster processor really makes it nice opening up apps and much smoother on some graphic intense games.

The only thing I don't like about my current 3G is just the vid cam ability, I am looking at some apps but need to shop around for a good one. Besides the ability to not record, I'm content with my 3G, would've been perfect for those night out with friends. Anyways good luck with your decesion, you'll probably have to pay for the data plan anyways for a black berry, iphone, palm or any smart phone, it's like an option that can't be negotiable, I'm going on a limp that so don't quote me on that but everything else is negotiable. If you text a lot just get the 20 unlimited texting and lowest minutes, plus roll over minutes is great from cingular, one of the few things I like about cingular.

I suggest you don't upgrade yet. Wait for the 4g. The features you gain aren't worth renewing a contract with the device that could be replaced in a few months to a year.

Tempted2Speed

is cooler than you
Car(s)
2007 GTI CW 6MT
I think alot of your guys are thinking I have a 3G or something...I dont I have a Samsung Blackjack 2 but Im really considering what some of you are saying and just wait til the 4g comes out

Who knows when that is...

Tempted2Speed

is cooler than you
Car(s)
2007 GTI CW 6MT
Six months huh....lol

If the cost for the internet will stay the same its worth the wait I guess but if Im going to be paying 40 bucks for 4g hell no