GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Integrated Engineering DSG Tune Shifting Based on Speed And Not Load

geokilla

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI DSG
Title says it all. I've had the DSG tune for half a year now and I decided to contact IE regarding this. Compared to the stock tune, I find the DSG tune holds gears for too long in Normal, making it not suitable for stop and go city driving. For example, if I'm driving at 70Km/H, the DSG will be in 4th and spinning at 2200RPM and it won't upshift unless I speed up to about 75Km/H or manually upshift. Even with no load and I'm coasting on a flat road, it still won't upshift. Whereas in the stock VW tune, it'll upshift to 5th at about 60Km/H. Now that I rewatch all the videos I recorded for IE, it looks like it may be upshifting only when the engine is above 2200RPM. The DSG tune performs the same in low speed scenarios as well, such as in a neighbourhood or school zone, driving at 40Km/H or 50Km/H.

I noticed @GTI_Joe1 had the same thoughts on his Golf R as well. Does anyone else notice this with their DSG tune? I find it fairly annoying like this because I constantly have to use the paddles to shift so I can drive smoother to reduce jerkiness.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
The EQT DSG tune doesn't do that. It's more like the stock DSG tune when in Drive mode but doesn't gear hunt like stock does.

GTI_Owner

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI
That result is due to the RPM that has been set for the 0% pedal position column in the D mode upshift table.

geokilla

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI DSG
Yeah I've been going back and forth with IE and they refuse to improve the tune. Pretty disappointing. I took some more videos to compare the stock tune vs IE tune at 50Km/H, city driving speeds, and oof.

the

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI
Yeah I've been going back and forth with IE and they refuse to improve the tune.
I doubt they refuse to improve it. It's their product, so most likely they would love to improve it, if they knew how.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
This is when you wish you could have had a V8.

Or in this case an Access Port and an EQT DSG tune. 😂

GTI_Owner

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI
Yeah I've been going back and forth with IE and they refuse to improve the tune. Pretty disappointing. I took some more videos to compare the stock tune vs IE tune at 50Km/H, city driving speeds, and oof.
Much of shifting is a matter of personal preference. There are most likely people who like that it doesn't upshift when you would like it to.
Looking for a different tune is probably the quickest way to address the concern.

shovelhd

Autocross Champion
Much of shifting is a matter of personal preference. There are most likely people who like that it doesn't upshift when you would like it to.
Looking for a different tune is probably the quickest way to address the concern.

Agreed. In the days between when I sent my TCU ID to EQT and receiving the TCU tune, I ran the Cobb Sport TCU tune. The Cobb was a nice improvement over stock. The EQT is way better. It shifts the way I'd shift it if I was driving it manually.

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
That sucks man.

But dude, the song in the second video... Jesus, you listen to that while you drive? Sounds like a tune you would masturbate and cry to, at the same time.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
That sucks man.

But dude, the song in the second video... Jesus, you listen to that while you drive? Sounds like a tune you would masturbate and cry to, at the same time.

Not down with the Japanese pop music?

geokilla

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI DSG
That sucks man.

I listen to a whole bunch of stuff lol. Next time I post a video, I'll make sure I'm playing some Initial D to prevent criticism :ROFLMAO:

geokilla

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI DSG

I also noticed that like the stock tune, the IE DSG tune doesn't readily downshift unless the engine is in the lug zone while coasting or light braking. Or when I'm braking on the highway, it'll downshift too much and my engine revs are sky high. This is all in D of course. I don't know if I'm being picky or if the IE tune is just not right for me. I can't get a refund back either.

I asked them if they can update the Eco mode and for whatever reason, they don't want to adjust Eco so that it behaves similar to the stock tune in terms of the shift logic, minus the hunting.