GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Intake vs TD1

Jantriis02

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI
Hello all,

my GTI has the extended powertrain warranty still, but I am interested in beginning the process of modifying the engine. The logical first step for me was to get an intake, something like the APR PEX open intake or the COBB option would be cool. However, I do not want to void any warranties by doing this. Anyone have experience with this? will an intake flash a TD1 code if its taken off before service at the dealer? This is probably a stupid question and there probably is another forum with this question in it, so any redirection or answers will be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
An intake is fine and won't void the warranty. TD1 is not something that gets flashed onto your car by parts you add. It is VW doing that if you do mods that can void the powertrain warranty.

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
An intake is fine and won't void the warranty. TD1 is not something that gets flashed onto your car by parts you add. It is VW doing that if you do mods that can void the powertrain warranty.
Even then, I think Jim of all folks is probably one of the best to show that these cars are very stout when taken care of -- I've been hesitant to move to a stage 1 flash on my '19 (definitely interfering with the powertrain warranty), BUT there are a number of high-mileage modified GTIs running around without issue. You shouldn't have an issue with an intake, though if you were to do something like a JB1/JB4 you'd want to remove that before taking the vehicle to the dealer.

NBMK7GTI

Go Kart Newbie
If it’s something easy enough to take off before a dealer visit, it’s worth it to imo. You’re just giving them a reason to give you a hard time and all of it can be avoided. I’d go jb for now to preserve the warranty.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
No, this will not void anything having an intake - worse case, they bust your nuts for whatever reason and you remove it before they will work on it...this is really on a dealer by dealer basis. TD1 is simply a flag that VW applies to your VIN if their scan tool/system detects that you have modified the ECU (tune). If you get the TD1 flag, your warranty isn't "voided" like so many like to say, it just means that they will scrutinize your warranty claims w/r to having a tune and whether that tune is the cause of the failure.

Jantriis02

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI
Thank you all for the insight. I genuinely had no idea about how the TD1 worked apparently. Happy driving yall