GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Insurance to cover manual transmission?

OldVWFan

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 GTI Sport
Go to the dealer and have him show you exactly what failed. It maybe the slave cylinder or maybe the pressure plate, but I doubt it is the clutch plate itself. The clutch plate is a wear item but if you don't drive it hard, slip the clutch, or do burn outs I doubt this is the problem. YOU NEED TO BE AT THE DEALER AND SEE ALL THE PARTS AND HAVE THE SHOW YOU WHAT FAILED! It sounds to me like one of the other two parts I mentioned might have failed and then I believe that you should have a warranty claim. Again be sure that you still have some time remaining on your warranty. You did not say what the model year was, is it a 2018 or 2019?

Raguvian

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GSW 4MO 6MT
While the OP has been avoiding the question "Do you know how to drive a clutch?", unless the OP has never driven a clutch before, I'd think it is pretty hard to kill a clutch in 3500 miles (with no other signs of damage).

I'd contact VW customer service and ask them to pay for the repair as this must be a manufacturing defect.

Where are you seeing it died in 3500 miles? I only see $3500 as the cost to replace the clutch.

OP, were you flooring it in 6th gear at low RPMs on the highway to accelerate or pass? That will roast the clutch no matter how gentle you think you are being while shifting or taking off from a stop.

Reactions: q74

Machinato

Car(s)
VW GTI
While the OP has been avoiding the question "Do you know how to drive a clutch?", unless the OP has never driven a clutch before, I'd think it is pretty hard to kill a clutch in 3500 miles (with no other signs of damage).

I'd contact VW customer service and ask them to pay for the repair as this must be a manufacturing defect.
That's a great idea. I'll do that Monday. I've driven manual transmissions for well over 53-years and have never, ever had a clutch problem. I've never "burned out" a clutch even on "hot" cars. I'll contact VW customer service. I'm going to try and convince them it had to have been a product defect to burn out in 3500 miles. Bet they won't buy it but why not go down all guns blazing? Thanks for the idea. Rob

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Where are you seeing it died in 3500 miles? I only see $3500 as the cost to replace the clutch.

OP, were you flooring it in 6th gear at low RPMs on the highway to accelerate or pass? That will roast the clutch no matter how gentle you think you are being while shifting or taking off from a stop.

"With a total of 3,490 miles"

It's literally the first sentence...

Raguvian

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GSW 4MO 6MT
"With a total of 3,490 miles"

It's literally the first sentence...

I have no excuses. 😑

Machinato

Car(s)
VW GTI
Go to the dealer and have him show you exactly what failed. It maybe the slave cylinder or maybe the pressure plate, but I doubt it is the clutch plate itself. The clutch plate is a wear item but if you don't drive it hard, slip the clutch, or do burn outs I doubt this is the problem. YOU NEED TO BE AT THE DEALER AND SEE ALL THE PARTS AND HAVE THE SHOW YOU WHAT FAILED! It sounds to me like one of the other two parts I mentioned might have failed and then I believe that you should have a warranty claim. Again be sure that you still have some time remaining on your warranty. You did not say what the model year was, is it a 2018 or 2019?
It's a 2019 but beyond 12-months. But still, 3400 miles and the clutch fails. I will take your advice though and insist they show me the parts that failed. Super idea. Thanks so much for it.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
That's a great idea. I'll do that Monday. I've driven manual transmissions for well over 53-years and have never, ever had a clutch problem. I've never "burned out" a clutch even on "hot" cars. I'll contact VW customer service. I'm going to try and convince them it had to have been a product defect to burn out in 3500 miles. Bet they won't buy it but why not go down all guns blazing? Thanks for the idea. Rob
First you have to make sure it was the clutch. If it is and if VW won't take care of it go to an indie shop and get an upgraded clutch in case you decide to mod it later.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
What you are explaining sounds more like the TOB failing with the way its was giving you grief to get in gear then so aggressively slipped in 3rd, Almost like it leaked fluid on the disc and that’s what’s caused it... even if you drive shitty and burned up the clutch it’s wouldn’t have happened so extreme where every gear the car wouldn’t work unless say the disc was fully broken.

also are they really quoting you that much?? Even dealer rates it’s should be 1600 to 1800 for the clutch and job.

cb1111

It's a 2019 but beyond 12-months. But still, 3400 miles and the clutch fails. I will take your advice though and insist they show me the parts that failed. Super idea. Thanks so much for it.
What is this 12 months you keep speaking of? If it is a 2019 then you have a 6/72 warranty.

If the clutch is actually worn based on abuse, the you'd be SOL even if you would have had the car six months.

Have them tell you exactly what went wrong, post back here and we'll suggest next steps.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
That pricing was the part that seemed most egregious to me. The nature of failure at such low miles is also curious but everyone has discussed the possible/potential causes.

Anybody here know the book time on replacing a clutch? I replaced one with a friend, neither of us had ever done it, and it took us about 8 hours (16 combined)... Including referencing DIY threads throughout. I don't know the normal labor rate for a dealer in VA but even at $200/hr (assuming $500 for the clutch) that's 15 hours book time. That's only an hour less than two noobs using vortex for instructions. If it's going to take the dealer that long might want to try a different dealer if you really want to get it done at a dealer as opposed to an independent shop.

I paid $650 for an independent shop in SC to replace my clutch with one provided in my Mk4 about 3 years ago. Ended up just under $1K all in.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
That pricing was the part that seemed most egregious to me. The nature of failure at such low miles is also curious but everyone has discussed the possible/potential causes.

Anybody here know the book time on replacing a clutch? I replaced one with a friend, neither of us had ever done it, and it took us about 8 hours (16 combined)... Including referencing DIY threads throughout. I don't know the normal labor rate for a dealer in VA but even at $200/hr (assuming $500 for the clutch) that's 15 hours book time. That's only an hour less than two noobs using vortex for instructions. If it's going to take the dealer that long might want to try a different dealer if you really want to get it done at a dealer as opposed to an independent shop.

I paid $650 for an independent shop in SC to replace my clutch with one provided in my Mk4 about 3 years ago. Ended up just under $1K all in.

Hard to know what they quoted him. But if they did the clutch and flywheel, that's easily $1,500 in parts alone through a dealer.

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
What is this 12 months you keep speaking of? If it is a 2019 then you have a 6/72 warranty.

If the clutch is actually worn based on abuse, the you'd be SOL even if you would have had the car six months.

Have them tell you exactly what went wrong, post back here and we'll suggest next steps.
The clutch is only warrantied for 1 year or 12k miles.

cb1111

The clutch is only warrantied for 1 year or 12k miles.
"wear" items are warranted for a year - unless it is abused.

It is unlikely that only the clutch failed. I suspect something else was the root cause of the failure. If that is true, then the clutch is covered too.

PRRGG1

Drag Racing Champion
Not something as simple as the clutch master or slave cylinder is it?