GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Installed JB4 now getting CEL

stevelatt

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2020 GTI S
Installed the JB4 last night and everything plugged in/hooked up fine. Turn it on the first time no check engine light. I get to my friends house down the road, turn it off and then on about 10 minutes later, check engine light on.

JB4 is giving me a code P509E and OBDeleven is giving me a code of P003600. Car is completely stock aside from JB4 and stock Airbox mod. Issue is present on Map 0, 1, & 2. Those are all I have used so far.

Didn't have any issues til I installed the JB4. Same thing happened this morning as well. Got in the car no light but then stopped at a gas station and when I turned it back on check engine light is on again. JB4 was bought second hand so I am guessing maybe the previous owner had a value set weird or something? Is there a way to set everything back to "factory"? I already updated firmware to latest version.

stevelatt

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2020 GTI S
I did unhook the battery completely before install and didn't reconnect until I have everything hooked up. I emailed George and he had me send him a photo of the AFR tap. I am getting live AFR data on my app over bluetooth so it would seem it's at least connected to the JB4. I also disconnected and reconnected the plug for the harness that has the AFR tap just in case something was loose there too. Can't drive the car until later today as I am at work but will update here along the way/when resolved in case anyone else runs into the same problem.

DrFunkalupicus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI S
I would check the wires in the harness that plugs in to the JB4 and make sure none are loose. I had a wire/pin works itself loose in mine and it caused a bunch of issues.

stevelatt

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2020 GTI S
Yea I just went out to my car and disconnected/reconnected the o2 sensor related plugs where you tap the wire I just can't go take my car for a drive cause I am at work. I am hoping that maybe that was all it needed. They seemed to be fine but I guess one of them was a little looser than the other so maybe it doesn't take much.

shovelhd

Autocross Champion
Do you have an AFR adapter harness, or did you tap the wire directly? If so, is it an eBay special? There are two versions of this harness, one for Mk7, and the other for Mk7.5.

stevelatt

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2020 GTI S
I have the wire tapped directly. Previous owner had an adapter harness but it doesn't fit my car so I clipped the wire and tapped it in. I am getting AFR data on the app on my phone so I am assuming that the tap is functional.

stevelatt

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2020 GTI S
Just took the car for a drive and check engine light and code are still persistent.

DrFunkalupicus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI S
Here is what I would do (time permitting of course). I would remove the JB4, clear the codes, and drive around for a bit and see if they come back. While it is out, I would check to make sure that all of the pins/wires in the harness that plugs in to the JB4 are tight. I had a slight mishap installing mine and I accidentally knocked a wire loose. With that loose wire, the car would idle rough as hell and it threw some CEL codes. You downloaded the most current firmware from Group 60 - VAG Gen 3 correct?

stevelatt

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2020 GTI S
Yes I got it directly though the smartphone app and did it over bluetooth. The issue was present even before the firmware update though. I will check all the connections again. It seems like it's something to do with the wiring to where the AFR tap is. That harness goes to the first o2 sensor by the turbo so I am going to recheck those again then I'll drive around bit and hopefully it fixes it. If not I will remove everything and see if it's still present. Car is still under warranty obviously being a 2020 so if I take it out and it persists then off to the dealer I go.

DrFunkalupicus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI S
Out of curiosity what color wire did you tap in to for the AFR wire? I want to say that between the Mk7 and Mk7.5 there was a change in the color of the wire

stevelatt

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2020 GTI S
The color did change. On mine I tapped into the white wire as was noted in the install manual from BMS. As noted above I am getting live AFR on the app. I don't know how that would work if the wire wasn't tapped correctly but I'm no expert on this stuff.

DrFunkalupicus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI S
Well shit...that's a bummer

stevelatt

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2020 GTI S
Well shit...that's a bummer
Yea and it seems like I'm the only person to ever have this issue cause I can't find any forums anywhere with someone else having the same problem/situation. Everyone else who has had this issue either has an older car where the sensor just fails or has an aftermarket DP. George basically said "your sensor must have gone bad" which it very well could have but it seems like a pretty crazy coincidence that the sensor failed at the same time I installed the JB4 on a car that's less than a year old with less than 4,000 miles. Not saying it couldn't happen, but it seems very unlikely the two are not related.