GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Installed a resonator delete to go along with my catted downpipe

iTsLiKeAnEgG

Ready to race!
I just got the resonator delete installed this morning and its a good pairing with my catted downpipe. Still fairly quiet in the cabin in D mode where the rpm's are typically below 3000 and the exhaust valves are closed but aggressive in S mode with the valves open especially above 3000 rpm. Under heavy throttle DSG gear changes are accompanied by a nice crackle and there is some crackling/burble on down shifts and rev down. Sounds pretty sweet with the stock muffler.

KASPER1

Go Kart Champion
Some say the resonance will drive you nuts on the freeway, I left mine on when I did my dp, lots of people have since reinstalled their oem resonator because of resonance at freeway speed complaints, guess you guys will find out.

iTsLiKeAnEgG

Ready to race!
Some say the resonance will drive you nuts on the freeway, I left mine on when I did my dp, lots of people have since reinstalled their oem resonator because of resonance at freeway speed complaints, guess you guys will find out.

In a worst case scenario the OEM resonator can be installed in 10-15 minutes. I haven't taken any long highway trips but with the muffler valves coded to auto (versus full open) it seemed very livable in D. In S/Race it was very aggressive. When I had just the catted downpipe installed I had the muffler valves coded full open for a short period and there was a lot of drone even when driving in D so I'm a proponent of keeping the valves on auto.

KASPER1

Go Kart Champion
The exhaust valves won't matter, the whole reason the resonator is there in the first place is to combat the resonance at this specific rpm. You may not be bothered by it, but you very well may in short order understand why it was there in the first place, like many others before you. Just a heads up from someone who has read multiple threads about this, you can do a search yourself to see others opinions, probably should have done it first, as then your exhaust would be less cobbled together with multiple clamps attempting to keep everything lined up/sealed up, if/when you decide to go back :)

iTsLiKeAnEgG

Ready to race!
Rest assured, plenty of research done on my end along with copious Youtube searches for audio samples. It was not a spur of the moment purchase.

Last edited:

KASPER1

Go Kart Champion
Cool, just trying to help, resonance something you'll never notice in YouTube clips. I'm just amazed how many threads there are on forums about guys doing it then going back. Never really seen another mod that's reversed more than the resonator delete mod. Just what I've noticed since going vw, myself. I don't mind loud personally, mine or someone else's exhaust but loathe exhausts that introduce resonance, maybe I'm just getting old!

iTsLiKeAnEgG

Ready to race!
I ran some errands today and took the time to test drive the car under various modes/conditions. With DCC settings set to Race/Sport and the transmission in D there was no appreciable resonance when driving on the freeway at various speeds between 50 mph and 80 mph. The loudest noise under these conditions was my tires. In S mode there was significantly more noise as the engine spent much of its time above 3k rpm. In S the exhaust note can be clearly heard when passing under overpasses or near close walls. Due to our exhaust valve setup and the behavior differences between D/S mode it really does seem like you can manage a dual personality with the exhaust note. I'll have to see how it is on a long drive but my test drive with the stereo off was fairly pleasant.