GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Indy 500 vs P Zero... Sport summer tire help

Custom441

Car(s)
2015 GTI Autobahn
It's time for a new set of summers for my GTI, and I'm torn in a couple directions. A bit of info: I live in Eastern Ontario, Canada so I run a dedicated set of winters for the snow, and I'm NOT looking for an all-season tire. I AM looking for a more sport oriented street tire that will give me better grip, and a sportier profile than the stock P7 all-seasons which can break grip quite easily. I have no immediate plans to track my car - it's still my daily and I drive 200-400km of highway per week. The car is essentially stock. I'll also be picking up some new wheels, likely 18" Konig Ampliforms.

I was initially sold on Indy 500's, but now I'm wondering how long these tires will last/perform with my weekly highway driving, and if I really need a UHP tire if I'm not tracking my car. My mechanic recommended Pirelli P Zero's since they're on sale, and after doing some homework I'm wondering if these may be a better option for me.

All said and done I'm looking for a good sport summer tire that will give me better performance for spirited road driving, have good tread life with highway driving, and be acceptable down to temps of ~7C (45F).

Indy 500? P Zero? Something else?

the

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI
I've never ran Pzeros... but after looking at google it seems like no one really has anything great to say about them. I found at least one discussion from a Camaro forum where a member was blown away by the 500s cold performance over the Pzeros. Everything I can find suggests the 500s > Pzeros. The only category Pzero wins out in is weight, coming it at 2 pounds lighter per tire. You might feel that in tread wear though. Unless your mechanic has some recent hands on experience with both tires, and some data we may not have, seems like the choice is firestone.

Malttv5

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2015 mk7 R , 2015 Po
I recently fitted Bridgestone Potenza Sport ,so far very pleased with the tyre on flat and b grade roads .In Australia were in autumn so I’ll get to see how they go with wet greasy roads .
Cheers

SouthFL_Mk7.5

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
I currently drive on Indy 500 and PZero (have been using them for almost 2 years)…

Indy 500 on my wife’s BMW 430i….
A low 300tw tire with the performance of a high 200tw tire. Good tread wear life. More than enough grip for day to day performance. Ok in the rain despite what I’ve read about it’s wet driving characteristics.

PZero on my son’s GTi and my Acura ILX….
A 220tw tire which in my opinion, given it’s time on the market, is a highly underrated tire. Stands up to track days and autocross with performance just a few ticks behind the newer 200tw tires, while retaining great day to day characteristics and decent tread life.

Can’t go wrong with either.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
Yokohama Advan Apex V601. Not a comfy tire, but tons and tons of grip at 280tw and actually has a 25,000 mi warranty. Might be overkill for you, but look it up.

tmbzip

Ready to race!
I'd also like to add that the 500s have a real stiff sidewall, the harshness when hitting bumps/potholes was VERY noticeable to me, stock suspension and wheels. The wear and grip is pretty decent though.

2nd on the General GMax RS, Achilles ATR Sport 2 actually aren't bad too if you don't plan to track and want to save some money.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Falken Azeni fk510 should be mentioned too. Ranks right up there with the Indys and Gmax. Excels in the wet too.

Ran a few sets of these. They are really good. Even my hpde instructor commented on how much grip they had, which says a lot.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
I’m glad you started this thread OP. I have basically the same wants for tires. I don’t care about treadwear since they will dry rot before they wear with a higher TW. Might as well get the grip.
Just go 200TW then. You won't regret it.
I daily RS4 and they're awesome (except in the rain, but who drives in anything but on sunny clear days)

Luva

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI SE
If you want arguably the best 300 TW class tire, I recommend the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S. They win most Max Performance Tire comparisons and dominate most every category (wet, dry, comfort, tread life). But get ready to break out the piggy bank. The PS4S is more expensive than the competition.

Sorry, I don't have much experience with lower performance tires. If you have already decided to go the winter / summer tire route, why not go all-in and get one of the best summer tires available?

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
If you want arguably the best 300 TW class tire, I recommend the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S. They win most Max Performance Tire comparisons and dominate most every category (wet, dry, comfort, tread life). But get ready to break out the piggy bank. The PS4S is more expensive than the competition.

Sorry, I don't have much experience with lower performance tires. If you have already decided to go the winter / summer tire route, why not go all-in and get one of the best summer tires available?
Discount Tire right now has $110 off a set of Michelins FYI…. 👀