GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

In the market for a new DSLR

ilubmydub

Ready to race!

TW0R

Go Kart Champion
not a plastic body, you drop a rebel, say good bye

WRONG. When I first got my XSI I it fell off the roof of my moving car :eyebulge:
And it still works like a champ.

i got a 7D, now i wish i had 5D mk2

I had a 7d, and it broke all of the time. I used the rebel more since the 7d was always at Canon.

I now have a 5d2, and haven't had a problem with it.

I forgot about the 60d. I played with one last weekend and it seemed pretty dope. Nicer to hold than a rebel because it's a little bigger, but not a beast like the 7d/5d.

ossmosisjones

For the Horde!!
Car(s)
2008 GTi
As a note of interest, the biggest difference between Nikon and Canon lenses is that Nikon lenses don't have the auto focus built into them. What this means is that as long as a Nikon lens will mount to the body, it will work - that doesn't mean it will be 100% functional though. It means that the camera will still take a picture. Nikon uses a TTL (through the lens) auto focusing system which is slower than Canon's, however it means that Nikon's lenses tend to be cheaper than Canon's. Either manufacturer is extremely good, they just tend to be better for different situations.

Canon tends to be better for photojournalism, whereas Nikon tends to perform better in landscape and portrait photography. Don't get me wrong, they both do both well, it's just a minor difference. In the end, it all boils down to personal preference.

Last month I upgraded from my Nikon D70 to a D700. If I was shopping in your price range, I'd look at Nikon's D90 or D7000, or Canon's Rebel T3i, 50D, or 60D. Go to a local camera store and physically hold one and see how you like it in your hand. That is what made me purchase my D70 nearly 7 years go. I hated how the original Rebel felt like a cheap POS.

nhbubba

CEL free until 48,398 mi
I am a Canon shooter, and a big Canon fan. But I don't agree with a lot of that.

Canon and Nikon both make quality stuff at the mid and pro levels. Both are (and can be) used extensively in just about all forms of pro shooting. Personally I actually like the look of Nikon images-straight from the camera-better than Canon. And they have a couple lens offerings that are arguably better than the Canon camp has.

But really you can't go wrong with either.

The real problem is at the entry level. As I've said, there are lesser Nikons that will not auto-focus their cheap prime lenses. This is a total deal-breaker in my book. Manual focusing a cropped sensor DSLR is not my idea of a good time. It is so bad I would consider MF only lenses unusable. And so lesser Nikons + cheap primes are an unusable combo. And access to 'good' glass like those cheap primes is one of the big reasons to go with a DSLR over a P&S.

So in my opinion the Nikon lineup starts at the mid-grade. Which means that Canon still eats Nikons lunch at the entry level. This was the case back in 2003 when I bought my original Rebel, and I think it is still true today.

I Am The Stig

Hey Now!
Car(s)
'09 Black Magic GTI
I'm in the same boat as the OP. 1st kid is on the way and we really want to upgrade our camera. I would like to keep it around $1k as well. I def want the most bang for the buck. We will be using it for video as well. How does everyone feel about this?

motorhoney

Ready to race!
What makes you want a dSLR? You want something "big and fancy" to impress your friends with, or do you actually plan on utilizing some of the features? The main reason to us a dSLR for me is the selection of excellent glass and the things that are leagues ahead of point and shoot style cameras, like the AF speed/precision, ISO performance, battery life and overall image quality.

However, I recently picked up an E-P2 and i'm loving it! It compliments my high-end shit nicely, but by no means replaces it.

Consider portability...

nhbubba

CEL free until 48,398 mi
What makes you want a dSLR?

How's the shutter lag on your average P&S these days?

That's typically another huge reason to go dSLR. Especially for parents. Nothing worse than almost grabbing that epic shot because your P&S doesn't actually fire when you press the button.

Decent glass + a modern dSLR + a big, fast flash card => spray and pray heaven for grabbing great shots of the little ones.

I Am The Stig

Hey Now!
Car(s)
'09 Black Magic GTI
What makes you want a dSLR? You want something "big and fancy" to impress your friends with, or do you actually plan on utilizing some of the features? The main reason to us a dSLR for me is the selection of excellent glass and the things that are leagues ahead of point and shoot style cameras, like the AF speed/precision, ISO performance, battery life and overall image quality.

I think the biggest reason is image quality. Followed closely behind is the speed between shots. The HD video capability is also nice. Good battery life is def a bonus, but I haven't even thought that far ahead yeat. By no means do I plan to try to become a pro, but i would like to be able to take some nice pics. I certainly won't use a full range of features everytime it comes out of the bag, but i know I will use them often.