EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
Hey guys i post something i read on vortex from a forum member from china.
maybe this explains why it is and it would be easy to source a engine from china.

"There are many reasons. I think the main problem is that Volkswagen GTI is no longer as competitive in the Chinese market as before, but at the same time, they want to cut costs. Due to China's strict environmental protection policy and emission laws (stricter than Europe), VW decided to forego the Evo4 update on locally made models (GTI, Passat, Arteon, Tiguan, and so on) and developed the ea888dkx (gen3 engine uses some evo4 parts). That means the Chinese spec GTI only has 223hp. That makes it a lot less competitive. The China GTI sells for 31k USD ( basically Autobahn trim level). However, the local manufacturer has some more enticing 2-litre turbo compacts for less than 30k USD. Such as Lynk & Co 03+ (257hp/280tq, AWD) and Trumpchi Empow R (265HP/300tq, air-to-water intercooler, 0-100kph in 5.7s). So I think that's why Volkswagen has improved some technology and comfort configurations. BUT VW also subtracted VAQ to save cost (DCC is still standard)! This is an arrogant decision.

Volkswagen has dominated the Chinese market for nearly 30 years, and for a long time they have been the only foreign manufacturer produces sports compact cars locally (Honda tried to produce type R in CKD, but failed), with loyal customers and a variety of related modified brands. Of course, GTI owners could have easily retrieved the lost ponies and installed a more powerful mechanical differential LSD. However, CLA 35 AMG and Elantra N are adjusted to 30-40k usd in China, with their LSD and all goodies. VW better do something to respond (probably not, the electric age is here, haha).
"

https://www.vwvortex.com/threads/leather-seats-with-the-gti-pattern.9541091/
and to think VW can simply update the software on their own engine to pump out non-rookie numbers lol

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
i mean
1697842460625.png

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
I may have to start stocking these things in the US and upsell them for 7-10k like VW dealerships would 💩 jk

Honestly if anyone is interested, I can get these engines for a bit cheaper shipped, per my contact overseas. She broke away from Zhongqi and started her own business. I’d just direct you to her. She’s nice..even offered to host me over in China if I were to go 🐰
can they build me a new 6spd trans lol

geokilla

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI DSG

nomunic

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7

toothofwar

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
Right? Thought I blew my DSG to the moon from wheel hopping at the track this weekend. (Need mounts really bad). Managed to run an 11.95 E.T. @127.8 mph though! Need mounts and a drag pack.. fwd probs
Damn son, git it! I ran an 11.95 @ 113 with the R. That mph is impressive!