GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Idle Hands (or the quest for a 480 mile tank)

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
finished up my last tank (normal drive) 360 miles 11.5 gallons. Car said 33.2 MPG math 31.2 this included two laps of my two lane black top stress reducer.

Lets do some Math!

if I drive my normal 12k year

idle hands speed and get 38 mpg that is 315 gallons per year @ todays price of $1.80 is $567 in gas per year......using a figure $3.00 gallon = $945 year
at normal driving and get 33 MPG that is 375 gallons per year @ $1.80 is $675 year.......at $3.00 gallon = $1125 year.

savings of $110-$180 year....nothing I'm going to do but 1x was fun.
Now to go post in the original thread for posterity

;)

Mud

8055WAGEN

Go Kart Champion
You inspired me to try to maximize my mpg on my GSW 4Motion. Usually I barely get 300 miles on a tank due to a heavy foot. Today I had my best trip average on my 30 mile commute. Don't think I'll hit 500 miles, but 480 seems within reach!

IMG_20200528_070654.jpg

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
You inspired me to try to maximize my mpg on my GSW 4Motion. Usually I barely get 300 miles on a tank due to a heavy foot. Today I had my best trip average on my 30 mile commute. Don't think I'll hit 500 miles, but 480 seems within reach!

View attachment 174795

You run a 12.60 in the quarter. That's got to be killing you to do that. 😂

8055WAGEN

Go Kart Champion
You run a 12.60 in the quarter. That's got to be killing you to do that. 😂

It took so much willpower to not stomp on the gas!
Filled up today when range hit zero. 464 miles / 13.88 gallons = 33.4 avg mpg. I did 100 miles on the highway at 72-74mph with traffic, I think that put me under 36mpg for the tank.

I'd need to average 36mpg to hit 500 miles with indicated 0 range, maybe I'll try that on the next tank. As for the tank I filled today, I'm going to burn it shooting for smiles per gallon 😀

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
13.88 gallons in what VW claims to be a 13.2 gallon tank is interesting. Does the Wagen have a bigger tank? The number is impressive for 4wd....there is a good bit of range after 0, I did 40+ but admit to having a jug/funnel during my experiment.

Mud

8055WAGEN

Go Kart Champion
13.88 gallons in what VW claims to be a 13.2 gallon tank is interesting. Does the Wagen have a bigger tank? The number is impressive for 4wd....there is a good bit of range after 0, I did 40+ but admit to having a jug/funnel during my experiment.

Mud

Yes the 4motion cars have a 14.5 gallon tank, so in that regard I get to cheat a bit on the miles per tank comparison. I believe FWD wagons have a 13.2 gallon tank.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Keep in mind folks that the displayed mpg value is about 8% high and you can adjust it using OBDEleven/VCDS. Whole tank mpgs calc'd are where it's at.

8055WAGEN

Go Kart Champion
Keep in mind folks that the displayed mpg value is about 8% high and you can adjust it using OBDEleven/VCDS. Whole tank mpgs calc'd are where it's at.

Upon initial reading, it seems I will need to compare the car's calculated mpg to my hand calculated mpg and apply a correction factor within VCDS. My car only displays average MPG 'Since Start', not for a full tank or since last reset. Am I missing something?

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
yes you can toggle between start/tank/extended period mpg's...and I did the adjustment factor on mine (cause slight OCD)

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Upon initial reading, it seems I will need to compare the car's calculated mpg to my hand calculated mpg and apply a correction factor within VCDS. My car only displays average MPG 'Since Start', not for a full tank or since last reset. Am I missing something?
Your car will display all/some of the following: since start, since refuel, and a long-term (2-3K miles...can't recall which) mpg. It can also display and an instant mpg. These are toggled on/off through your infotainment system's "car" menu under the dash display (or called something similar...can't recall of of this right now) sub-menu. Then on your dash, when you display say "since start" - you push the center button on the right side of the steering wheel controls to toggle through since start, long term, tank. You can also reset since start/long term mpg calcs in the same menu say if you want to just record the highway portion of a trip. Since start is based on time, I believe 2-3 hours so if you take a trip, go in a store, come out, it's still considered the same "trip". Here is the correction using OBDEleven:

---------------------------------------------------------------
Bring vehicle's mpg calc in-line with reality

Adaptation
Control unit: 17 Dash Board
Name: Display correction of consumptions and operating range
Values:
Old value: 100 %
New value: 108 %
--------------------------------------------------------------

8055WAGEN

Go Kart Champion
Your car will display all/some of the following: since start, since refuel, and a long-term (2-3K miles...can't recall which) mpg. It can also display and an instant mpg. These are toggled on/off through your infotainment system's "car" menu under the dash display (or called something similar...can't recall of of this right now) sub-menu. Then on your dash, when you display say "since start" - you push the center button on the right side of the steering wheel controls to toggle through since start, long term, tank. You can also reset since start/long term mpg calcs in the same menu say if you want to just record the highway portion of a trip. Since start is based on time, I believe 2-3 hours so if you take a trip, go in a store, come out, it's still considered the same "trip". Here is the correction using OBDEleven:

---------------------------------------------------------------
Bring vehicle's mpg calc in-line with reality

Adaptation
Control unit: 17 Dash Board
Name: Display correction of consumptions and operating range
Values:
Old value: 100 %
New value: 108 %
--------------------------------------------------------------

Thank You! I feel like an idiot for not knowing how to switch between since start, since refuel, and long term. Gah! Another good reason for the VCDS!

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
extended resets at 100 hrs or 10K? miles (whatever comes 1st) I find mine is via time and I'll have 3-4K miles on it. I may be off on the 10K figure it may be another number...mine always resets on time.

and as Tigeo said 107 or 108 is the number many use to get it correct. Mine is within 1 mpg long term.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
extended resets at 100 hrs or 10K? miles (whatever comes 1st) I find mine is via time and I'll have 3-4K miles on it. I may be off on the 10K figure it may be another number...mine always resets on time.

and as Tigeo said 107 or 108 is the number many use to get it correct. Mine is within 1 mpg long term.
Ah...maybe time is it vs. mileage.

YamR1rider

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
I've just driven from Tampa to Key West and back for a much needed fun long weekend. Interestingly on the way back, I found myself stuck at a very steady 50mph or so for the 120 mile US 1 stretch back to the mainland... For that whole piece the 'pooter had the mpg averaging at 42, and at one point it was looking like a 560 mile tank was possible had that steady state just gone on forever!

But of course....once I was back to dual carriageway and interstate I decided to spank it along the remaining 300 miles or so back to Tampa at 90mph and any hypermiling dreams were well and truly undone :)

Still, the average for the whole 411 mile trip came to 32mpg, which I was more than impressed with to be honest!