GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

I need new tires but the choices are overwhelming. Suggestions?

SouthFL_Mk7.5

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
The set of Firehawk Indy 500’s on my wife’s 430i has been one of the best sets of tires I’ve owned-especially at their price point.
Decent wear and longevity. Decent grip and performance. Not bad in the rain either. I’d get another set.

SteveRedGTI

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2020 GTI S
SteveRedGTI, if low noise is your primary concern, then performance oriented offerings may not scratch where you are itching. Maybe a good touring tire?

As I am sure you know, tire selection is a balancing act based on one's own personal preferences and vehicle usage. Low noise tires may have good longevity but may lack grip. Sticky tires usually do well in both wet and dry, but wear out fast. Touring tires should last long, but will scream in protest on a canyon road.

P.S. From my view, Michelin PS4S tires are basically a high performance tire that you can take to a HPDE track event in a pinch. They are "loud", sticky, amazing in wet or dry, and wear out after ~30k miles. This or any other max performance class tire is probably not the tire for someone with your priorities. Good luck in your search.
Honestly I've never had a tire as noisy as the Pirelli P7's that were original on the car. Without a commute, for sure my miles are way lower than they use to be. The ratings and reviews are incredibly subjective, some say the Michelin PS4S are quiet, you say they are Loud. To put my experience in perspective, these P7s are categorized as a grand touring all season, and they feel like ultra performance tires by way of cornering and firmness. So narrowing it down, I guess what I really want is at least the same performance, but less firm and quieter. Not sure you can get less firm in a 40 series tire, so I'll go with less noise. LOL

Further, my new Blizzaks snow tires made me grin this year. They actually handled very well, were quiet, and rode far better than these P7s.

Charlotte.:R

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R 6MT
I've been running summer tires in Charlotte exclusively for over a decade without issue. Of course, the city basically shuts down at even the slightest chance of snow, and I tell my boss I'm working from home, but I don't see why you'd want all seasons in San Diego 🤷‍♂️

Costco, Discount Tire and Tire Rack almost always have some promotion on Michelin, Continental or Bridgestone.

I'm running yesterday-tech Pilot Super Sports, and have for like the last decade.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Tire longevity is a question for you. Summers clearly work for you for the temps/conditions and everyone always recommends them but there is more to an all season than having the ability to handle a little snow...they last much longer. So look at your annual mileage, do you want to spend $1K every 1-2 years for tires? A set of UHP AS tires like the PS4 all season are fantastic and will last quite a bit longer at the expense of some of the all-out grip but still out-perform many tires on the road.

Last edited:

yakuza70

Passed Driver's Ed
Tire longevity is a question for you. Summers clearly work for you for the temps/conditions and everyone always recommends them but there is more to an all season than having the ability to handle a little snow...they last much longer. So look at your annual mileage, do you want to spend $1K every 1-2 years for tires? A set of UHP AS tires like the PS4 all season are fantastic and will last quite a bit longer at the expense of some of the all-out grip but still out-perform many tires on the road.
This! I live in the San Francisco Bay Area and while it doesn't snow here, it does get below 40 F in the winter so I bought A/S tires for the longevity and "coldish" winter temperatures (I know you in the north are laughing at 40F being cold!). After a lot of research, the two best all-seasons came down to the Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 and the Continental Extreme Contact DWS 06 plus. I went with the Continentals since I prefer a better/comfortable ride quality and they were a little bit less expensive.

SteveRedGTI

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2020 GTI S
This! I live in the San Francisco Bay Area and while it doesn't snow here, it does get below 40 F in the winter so I bought A/S tires for the longevity and "coldish" winter temperatures (I know you in the north are laughing at 40F being cold!). After a lot of research, the two best all-seasons came down to the Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 and the Continental Extreme Contact DWS 06 plus. I went with the Continentals since I prefer a better/comfortable ride quality and they were a little bit less expensive.
Those tires seem to have a lot of fans. Noise level?

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Love my pilot sport 4s tires. Can absolutely recommend. What’s crazy, the dcc set up in turns feels so damn good when it’s making its adjustments

on my wife’s gli. She has the dws06 (non plus) and they’re so damn impressive too. Went non plus cuz she wanted the softer sidewall. Steering feel isn’t great but they have great grip and stopping power. Even on top of snow.

during winter I slap on the stock wheels with the stock crappy Bridgestone all seasons

bobloblawGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
19 GTI SE 6MT
Love my pilot sport 4s tires. Can absolutely recommend. What’s crazy, the dcc set up in turns feels so damn good when it’s making its adjustments

on my wife’s gli. She has the dws06 (non plus) and they’re so damn impressive too. Went non plus cuz she wanted the softer sidewall. Steering feel isn’t great but they have great grip and stopping power. Even on top of snow.

during winter I slap on the stock wheels with the stock crappy Bridgestone all seasons
Are the non-plus DSWS06 still available anywhere? Like @SteveRedGTI I'm prioritizing noise/comfort balance over strict performance as I consider replacing my stock Potenzas @ ~14k mi

SteveRedGTI

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2020 GTI S
Obviously, I can only compare to the OEM Pirelli P7s but the DWS06+ seem to be a bit quieter with noticeably better ride quality - they can take bumps/holes/imperfections in the road better. Overall grip is much improved.
Good to know. I have those OEM Pirelli P7s and yes, they bumps like a track racer, hard and firm.

I've read a lot of reviews, and the DWS seems to come out ahead in most every aspect, including noise and comfort. But the pros that write the reviews are so beholden to their Michelin bias sometimes it's embarrassing to read them. I've found this true from way, way back. Even when beaten, they want to give their old fav a medal.

Tirerack review.

"The ExtremeContact DWS06 Plus delivered an impressive performance in the wet, leading all objective metrics and earning the highest subjective score once again. The test-leading traction was undeniable on the track, allowing our drivers to carry more speed everywhere and building confidence in the tire's abilities. The Pilot Sport All Season 4 was a step back objectively, though still very capable."

followed by,

"Even though the results were close, the Pilot Sport All Season 4 deserves credit for leading every objective metric and tying for the highest subjective score from our test drivers. Between its strong acceleration and braking traction and its balanced, confident handling up to and at the limit, it set the standard for the test, and ultimately for the category."

"

Summary

"More often than not, when we test four top-tier competitors, the results are very close. While that is the case here, it could be argued the Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 Plus distinguishes itself somewhat. With less than a tenth of a point separating the other three tires' overall scores, the Continental's three- to four-tenths gap on the group is at least worth noting. It delivers a composed, quiet experience on the road with responsive and accurate steering. Wet traction is top-notch and competitive with the best in Ultra High Performance All-Season, as is its performance in the snow and on ice. It feels confident and athletic when pushed in the dry, and our team's only small complaint is the somewhat synthetic-feeling steering."

mk6'12gti

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 Mk7.5 Gti
Stay away from Nitto Nt555 G2s they are garbage. I changed to them after having Firestone Indy500s bad choice should of stuck with another set of Firestones but I wanted to try and different tire. Conti extreme contacts dws 06 are nice but there to soft in my opinion. I went through a set of dws 06s in 1 summer.