GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

how to start your own garage?

bennylenny88

bora bora dude
Car(s)
Golf mk5 GTTDI 2.0
me and ian were talking and we thought bout opening our own garage..
just wondering what we need to open one? like what type of qualifications and stuff?

VdaWg

FIA World Rally Car Champion
hmmm...I guess being really experienced as techs/mechanics would be a really good start, if you don't have those under your belts already.

bennylenny88

bora bora dude
Car(s)
Golf mk5 GTTDI 2.0
well were thinking of doing it when we actually have money and experience.. just wanted to know how we can start learning early and seeing what we need so we can make a list.

Plyngntrffc

FIA GT Newbie
Car(s)
2006 VW GTI
EXCELLENT credit b/c u wont be able to afford all you need including a building, all the tools, capital to get going for other employees, lots and lots of marketing, go to mechanics school, business school, or hire the mechanics and yall just run it,

Biggest things:
Credit so you can get loans
Location, Location, Location
A prexisting garage, most likely cheaper than building your own
Qualified Mechanics
Some education in Business, Finance, Marketing

MHS216

Anchors Aweigh
Car(s)
UG GTI 2006
Get mad money, buy an existing garage and then pay people to run it.

Money cures everything!!:thumbsup:

bigdyno

FIA World Rally Car Newbie
Don't forget money for insurance......lots of it.

You will have to buy any machinery for your shop, depending on what the scope of work will be. Tire mounting/balancing machines, car lifts, compressors, mills and lathe, welders, presses, diagnostic equipment ( anyone know where I can get a Vag-com?lol) and on and on.

Then you have to get approval by the government, here in the land of hockey and COLD beer you need at least 50% licenced staff.

Then you need to set up accounts with parts suppliers, so a good credit rating is a must.

I understand you have manditory e-testing in the U.K., so you will need that equipment, government certification and trained employees.

I have people ask me all the time why I don't open my own shop (I am a licenced m/c mechanic) to which my answer is " I want a life" A good friend of mine has a bike shop and that is his life. It has wrecked friendships, relationships, credit and reputation along the way, but he is still plodding along. I am much happier and more importantly have more money and time to myself as a result.

But hey, good luck, there's no saying you won't do well. I would suggest you get a job in a successful shop and learn how they do things and what they have/use to get a baseline for what you should expect.

VdaWg

FIA World Rally Car Champion
hahah....you'll gain weight in an instant. If planned what is you garage going to performing? regular service and mods? Someimtes I wish I had very technical and hands on knowledge with cars, it's useful. All I can do is read my Road and Track automotive dictionary hahaha.:biggrin: And look at my engine.