GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to get Stage 2 GTI to pass OBD emissions?

SodaSnake

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2016 MK7
I purchased a used 2016 MK7 and I'm unable to pass an OBD emissions test due to O2 sensors not being ready. Trying to get it to pass.

List of mods:

- IS38 Turbo
- CTS Downpipe
- CTS Turbo-back exhaust
- Unknown ECM
- Unitronic Stage II Tune

Just want to pass this thing as cheaply as possible and not worry about it again.

Escape Hatch

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
O2 spacer and flash back to stock tune. Drive it a bit and check for readiness prior to running emissions. Not sure if Unitronic disables readiness or just the CEL. If it is just the cell then get the spacer, reset the cell and drive a bit. Validate readiness and no cell prior to scanning OBD for emissions.

Gr33nBunny

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE 6mt
I have a catless DP on the stock tune for about 40k and 2 inspections without issue. Vibrant o2 spacer has saved me from needing to bribe anyone.

Edit: I originally used the curved vibrant spacer but I've had a 42DD spacer in since last summer

Last edited:

Gr33nBunny

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE 6mt
Your state must not do the readiness test.

They do actually. I throw a CEL approx 2-3 times a year depending on how Im driving at the time. Usually clears itself pretty quickly. I also check for readiness a day or 2 beforehand to make sure I dont have any codes stored.

launchd

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2023 M3LR, 2021 A7
In almost all cases, an O2 spacer is enough to fool the O2 sensor into reading ready/pass…

The problem is the tune.

An O2 spacer + stock ECU remap should net you a pass.

AlienSP

Ready to race!
I agree with launchd. A Vibrant O2 spacer, flash back to stock, drive 100-200 miles in various conditions without pushing it (low boost) and it should pass. Mine has passed readiness for years. Two not-readys are allowed in Texas, three will fail ya.

FSTSNAL

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 DVP Spektrum R
I agree with launchd. A Vibrant O2 spacer, flash back to stock, drive 100-200 miles in various conditions without pushing it (low boost) and it should pass. Mine has passed readiness for years. Two not-readys are allowed in Texas, three will fail ya.
CA no not readys are allowed. Best bet here is run with a stock downpipe and tune or swap to this setup to pass smog.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Tip the guy doing the test $200.

My guy will overlook everything for $200, but the one thing he has no wiggle room on is OBD readiness. That requires a scan with the car plugged in. Tint, suspension, exhaust, etc... He'll turn a blind eye to all of those, but can't do anything if OBD doesn't pass readiness.

Of course, that's all state dependant.

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
My guy will overlook everything for $200, but the one thing he has no wiggle room on is OBD readiness. That requires a scan with the car plugged in. Tint, suspension, exhaust, etc... He'll turn a blind eye to all of those, but can't do anything if OBD doesn't pass readiness.

Of course, that's all state dependant.
I think the guys that it can manipulate the test somehow. I was there when my friend's twin turbo GTO got smogged. His car was on the rollers and it somehow passed the test. Some shops don't even need your car to pass. There are lots of smog shops that will pass a car...you just need a "referral" (and a couple hundos) from someone.

From what I remember...all the readiness monitors on my GTI are all set with the o2 spacer. If they just plugged in their computer and not look under the hood...I'll pass.