GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to drive faster!

dtran11

Go Kart Newbie
Can I get some tips on how to drive fast on my 2019 6MT? I don't want to really launch the car but would like to learn how to get up to speed faster. I find first gear to be very slow. Even when staying up to 5k rpm on first before shifting feels like I'm driving a Corolla. Should I shift sooner to second and run hard then? Help!

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
You'll just need to practice more by applying more throttle after full clutch engagement in 1st and roll off. You know some folks say they learn MT driving in a week's time. Honestly this is like learning an instrument and you'll have to practice at least a year getting exposed to all sorts of driving conditions to build experience (including driving many different cars) if you want to get really good at it. All cars behave differently so it's just practice and getting familar with the car.

As noted on your other thread, on my Golf-R I pull 1st gear to 4K RPM (including roll off) to get brisk acceleration. I can get the car going just as fast shifting at 3.5K rpm, but it takes more concentration on the throttle input and clutch engagement timing, so I just pull to 4K RPM as it buys me more time for the roll off and less stress on the 2nd gear syncro's. You'll get there one of these days, just practice. GL

dtran11

Go Kart Newbie
Thanks
You'll just need to practice more by applying more throttle after full clutch engagement in 1st and roll off. You know some folks say they learn MT driving in a week's time. Honestly this is like learning an instrument and you'll have to practice at least a year getting exposed to all sorts of driving conditions to build experience (including driving many different cars) if you want to get really good at it. All cars behave differently so it's just practice and getting familar with the car.

As noted on your other thread, on my Golf-R I pull 1st gear to 4K RPM (including roll off) to get brisk acceleration. I can get the car going just as fast shifting at 3.5K rpm, but it takes more concentration on the throttle input and clutch engagement timing, so I just pull to 4K RPM as it buys me more time for the roll off and less stress on the 2nd gear syncro's. You'll get there one of these days, just practice. GL
Thanks for the great pointers. What do you mean by roll off?

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
Thanks

Thanks for the great pointers. What do you mean by roll off?

When you apply throttle you depress the gas pedal.. when you release the gas pedal you want to gently release in a controlled fashion in 1st which I call rolling off the throttle (or roll off). This controls the flywheel from flinging up in RPM when you clutch-in. You tame down the flywheel's momentum to prepare it for 2nd gear's lower RPM engagement point.

dtran11

Go Kart Newbie
Also, I should get past 3k rpm before going full throttle on this turbo engine right? At what rpm can I go full throttle to get optimal acceleration?

dtran11

Go Kart Newbie
Just took my car out for some practice driving faster. I drive up to 5k rpm on 1st. It didn't feel fast yet and the engine/exhaust is loud at this point but not going anywhere. People look like I'm crazy. Anyways I try to shift into 2nd but the rev way too high it seems and I get a jerk as the revs drop to 2.5k rpm on 2nd. What am I doing wrong? I need to transition from first to second smoother while keeping boost.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Just took my car out for some practice driving faster. I drive up to 5k rpm on 1st. It didn't feel fast yet and the engine/exhaust is loud at this point but not going anywhere. People look like I'm crazy. Anyways I try to shift into 2nd but the rev way too high it seems and I get a jerk as the revs drop to 2.5k rpm on 2nd. What am I doing wrong? I need to transition from first to second smoother while keeping boost.

Either your clutch is slipping or you're bogging the engine off the line. Are you sure you're completely releasing the clutch?

dtran11

Go Kart Newbie
Either your clutch is slipping or you're bogging the engine off the line. Are you sure you're completely releasing the clutch?
Just drove again and realized I wasn't letting the clutch out fast enough. I was still babying the clutch. Now I can feel more acceleration going into second. However letting go of the clutch faster does make the car feel like it's rocking back and forth.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Just drove again and realized I wasn't letting the clutch out fast enough. I was still babying the clutch. Now I can feel more acceleration going into second. However letting go of the clutch faster does make the car feel like it's rocking back and forth.

You'll get smoother with more experience. Sounds like you were slipping the clutch before and now you're dumping it too quick. Need to find the happy medium. When you let the clutch out you need to apply enough throttle.

dtran11

Go Kart Newbie
You'll get smoother with more experience. Sounds like you were slipping the clutch before and now you're dumping it too quick. Need to find the happy medium. When you let the clutch out you need to apply enough throttle.
Ok. This brand new car is not going to last long after I'm done practicing...

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Also, I should get past 3k rpm before going full throttle on this turbo engine right? At what rpm can I go full throttle to get optimal acceleration?
Try this:

Roll off the line easy, lite throttle to 2500-3k rpm in first. Then mash the gas pedal to the floor.

Take it all the way up to 6k+ rpm in first. Don't worry about the progressive redline, you can hit 6500 rpm all day with no consequences.

At 6k+(or like 30 mph or so) drop into second. You will already be up in the higher rpm range so you can immediately mash the gas to the floor again. Take 2nd up to 6500 rpm.

Don't think about it, you've got to feel the shift points and practice. The gearbox in the manual is clunky as hell, it takes a lot of practice to get good with it.

Mike-E

Go Kart Newbie
In Chicago - join the Tri-State Sports Car Council (TSSCC) , or SCCA. After the beer virus is over, both will be offering driving classes (high speed and parking lot autocross). The best way to get fast, is with an experienced teacher and lots of wheel time. FUN too!!!
I took my first high speed autocross class with TSSCC around 1989. Since then I have held an SCCA National level driver's license, driven at the Nurburgring, Hockenheimring, an Road Atlanta.

dtran11

Go Kart Newbie
Try this:

Roll off the line easy, lite throttle to 2500-3k rpm in first. Then mash the gas pedal to the floor.

Take it all the way up to 6k+ rpm in first. Don't worry about the progressive redline, you can hit 6500 rpm all day with no consequences.

At 6k+(or like 30 mph or so) drop into second. You will already be up in the higher rpm range so you can immediately mash the gas to the floor again. Take 2nd up to 6500 rpm.

Don't think about it, you've got to feel the shift points and practice. The gearbox in the manual is clunky as hell, it takes a lot of practice to get good with it.
So getting better but I'm still having issues when dropping into second. It's not smooth and the car jerks to much. Clutch and gas timing not right yet dropping to second. Thanks for the tip