GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How much would it take for you to leave your job?

GeorgiaBII

Drag Race Newbie
I took a pay cut to work the job I have now. No regrets.

Stable employment with almost zero chance of layoff.

Excellent benefits.

Good retirement.

It would take something massive to make me give this job up.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
there is ALWAYS the chance that you will end up hating the new job just as much as the current job - maybe not right away, but it can and many times does happen.

You should always be "smart" about talking money in this situation. Leave it out of the question unless actually shown interest by the company in hiring you (after interviewing, not before) or hardpressing you for an answer, but prior to that I always state, "well, it depends on if you are interested in hiring me and I'd like talk more about the position and your company, and my future outlook there", etc - that can really impress/catch them off guard.

But in that case that you are hardpressed to give $$ numbers/requirements, you should be shooting high and being respectful about it. I would also be honest about what you currently make, as many companies now do very in depth background checks, even AFTER you are hired and if you lie about money - a substantial lie - it could cost you.

Figure for any good move, a 10-20% minimum increase is pretty much the low floor you should be looking for. Otherwise, if not about money, then whatever you feel comfortable with.

hell, I told a headhunter a while back I'd be willing to take a $5-10k paycut just to cut down on stress and get back out of management again.

Do Work Son

Go Kart Champion
Depends on what my intern would look like.

NOLA-Ron

Go Kart Champion
Turned down am opportunity for 15k more a year. It would take 20 and a senior level position to get me to leave. Or 10k and guaranteed bonuseS annually.

Why? Loyalty, seniority and job security.
You have to factor in advancement opportunities at new vs current and continued education/certification classes if applicable to your career as much as salary.

Sent from my Galaxy SIII using tapatalk witg erroes

aj_law

Go Kart Champion
There are so many variables to consider for a move like this that it would be pointless to even try to factor them in because something that might be important to one is irrelevant to somebody else.

If you want to just talk turkey and focus on just salary, it would probably take a 25% pay increase to get me to move. That's going on the unrealistic assumption that everything about the two positions is virtually the same; same perks, benefits, job responsibilities/duties, driving distance, company size and reputation, etc., etc.

Jaxper

Go Kart Champion
Turned down an offer of $5k more right out of college to do something that seemed to be more along the lines of what I wanted. It's been slow adjusting (on my side and the company's) but it's starting to fall into place.

Been here 5ish months and it's gone pretty well so far. Maybe down the road I'll look more along the lines of game development rather than insurance/corporate software development (what I'm doing now).

Shini

Go Kart Champion
Holy crap. You guys either have some high self worth or are super duper loyal to your respective companies!

SayaGTI

www.meatspin.com
20k on top of what i make a year would get me out of self employment. For reals.

colslaw87

Ready to race!
OP, I'm in a similar position. I have a good job right now, benefits etc ... I'm in my comfort zone.

I have an opportunity to switch companies and make an extra 30K-35K annually. Now the job is different, and definitely out of my comfort zone. But in the end would add a huge skill set to my resume that most people in my field don't have.

I think it depends on your family situation. At the moment, I'm young and 3 years into my career ... so moving and gaining new experiences is something I can do now, versus 10 years from now when I have kids and a family to support.

Jaxper

Go Kart Champion
OP, I'm in a similar position. I have a good job right now, benefits etc ... I'm in my comfort zone.

I have an opportunity to switch companies and make an extra 30K-35K annually. Now the job is different, and definitely out of my comfort zone. But in the end would add a huge skill set to my resume that most people in my field don't have.

I think it depends on your family situation. At the moment, I'm young and 3 years into my career ... so moving and gaining new experiences is something I can do now, versus 10 years from now when I have kids and a family to support.

That's the exact thought process I have for future me to deal with. If I find a great opportunity now I would take it, whereas 10 years down the road might be a different story.

colslaw87

Ready to race!
That's the exact thought process I have for future me to deal with. If I find a great opportunity now I would take it, whereas 10 years down the road might be a different story.

Agreed. There are people that have worked here for 10+ years. But then again, they're all 30+ years old.

2 things I've always been told ... Don't chase the money, and Never turn down an interview.

rawbdog

Go Kart Champion
Holy crap. You guys either have some high self worth or are super duper loyal to your respective companies!

well i just got my new job in March, and i am making double monthly from my old job. so i figure if im going to leave this place, which is super laid back, i make decent money and i get to be on here all the time lol, it might as well be double what i make here.