GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How much extra transmission fluid is tolerable?

brokeitagain

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI sport
Changed my transmission fluid. When filling it back up I aimed for 2.3 liters, but when the bottle lost its vacuum it looks like I put in 2.4. What's the tolerance on extra transmission oil? It drove fine right afterwards, no leaks.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Changed my transmission fluid. When filling it back up I aimed for 2.3 liters, but when the bottle lost its vacuum it looks like I put in 2.4. What's the tolerance on extra transmission oil? It drove fine right afterwards, no leaks.
That's the equivalent of 7 table spoons. You'll be fine.

brokeitagain

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI sport
Thanks. I have the newer version of the transmission without the fill plug, so I was a little stressed about getting the right amount instead of just filling til it spills.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Thats nothing. Pretty sure Jim is right. It's insignificant

Agray

Go Kart Champion
I wish the dsg was “drain and fill” easy. Like a rear diff

drain it. Replace lower plug. Fill till it spills. Close the top plug.
I’ve had my DSG serviced 4x now all at different VW/Audi Indy shops and not a single one of them actually did the level setting procedure.. it’s all been drain, fill from bottom with 4.7-5L and sent me on my way.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
I’ve had my DSG serviced 4x now all at different VW/Audi Indy shops and not a single one of them actually did the level setting procedure.. it’s all been drain, fill from bottom with 4.7-5L and sent me on my way.
That’s reassuring