GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How does the factory Golf R DSG Cooler work?

ElCheapoA3

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
8V A3 Quattro
If I understand correctly the R/S3 come with an additional auxiliary cooler for DSG cars on the driver side bumper. The A3/GTI do not.
Can someone answer/validate these two things for me?

1. A3/GTI have a standard "heat exchanger" the transfer heat from DSG->engine coolant, and is also used as a dsg fluid "heater"?

2. The R/S3 auxiliary cooler for the DSG. Does this circulate actual DSG fluid through the auxiliary radiator, or does it just further cool engine coolant before going through an engine coolant/DSG fluid heat exchanger (like the A3/GTI)?

scrllock

Autocross Champion
It's extra coolant that also passes through an oil:coolant heat exchanger on top of the DSG. No DSG fluid goes through the heat exchanger in the bumper.

On the A3/GTI the coolant runs directly through the exchanger on top of the trans without routing through the extra cooler.

ElCheapoA3

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
8V A3 Quattro
Thanks for the reply!
So on the GTI, the coolant goes Engine -> DSG Cooler -> back to main path
On the R, the coolant goes Engine -> Aux Cooler - > DSG Cooler -> back to main path

Great! So I'd assume the y-split from engine-> aux cooler already exists on the base GTI/A3. I'd need the rad, mounting brackets, and long hoses to go from the y split -> cooler -> dsg cooler.

Jachas

Ready to race!
Car(s)
A3 8V
If you want to retrofit this DSG cooler, according to ETKA, this cooler is connected with electrovalve N488 that close or open the flow to oil cooler on DSG. Apart from that, aux cooler takes place for windscreen washer tank, so you will need to relocate it to other side of car (in golf R location + different piping to headlight washer and windscreen nozzles + wiring of pumps) too + do the wiring for electrovalve to ECU and tune the soft to make a use of this valve.

Additional radiator on the passenger side is much simplier to do. Only cooler + bracket + piping + connetor with Y split on lower hose to radiator is needed. No wiring, relocating washer tank, etc.

ElCheapoA3

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
8V A3 Quattro
If you want to retrofit this DSG cooler, according to ETKA, this cooler is connected with electrovalve N488 that close or open the flow to oil cooler on DSG. Apart from that, aux cooler takes place for windscreen washer tank, so you will need to relocate it to other side of car (in golf R location + different piping to headlight washer and windscreen nozzles + wiring of pumps) too + do the wiring for electrovalve to ECU and tune the soft to make a use of this valve.

Additional radiator on the passenger side is much simplier to do. Only cooler + bracket + piping + connetor with Y split on lower hose to radiator is needed. No wiring, relocating washer tank, etc.
Thanks for the reply. It appears the electro valve might already be there on A3/GTI models based on this install guide for this "retrofit" DSG cooler:

Link to installation instructions

If the electrics are already there I might try to retrofit the lines and install 2x CSF auxiliary coolers + CSF main radiator. Does EKTA show the same spots being connected for the cooler? I'm going to dig into the diagrams some more.

Jachas

Ready to race!
Car(s)
A3 8V
Thanks for the reply. It appears the electro valve might already be there on A3/GTI models based on this install guide for this "retrofit" DSG cooler:

Check if you have this valve, because not every car has that valve AFAIK (Mine FWD A3 8V doesn't have this valve AFAIR)

Does EKTA show the same spots being connected for the cooler? I'm going to dig into the diagrams some more.

Yes, more or less. On OEM you have twice the hoses, because there is some quick connection point close to the aux. cooler (Probably to ease some types of works in engine bay) So you have 2 hoses to quick connection point (from thermostat and DSG cooler to quick connection point) and 2 more from connection point to aux cooler + different Y joint to the thermostat (+ all the OEM bracketing, hose holders etc.)

ElCheapoA3

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
8V A3 Quattro
Thanks for the post! I have a 2.0 Quattro so I *think* it should have the valve. I’ll take a look next time I can.

I’m planning to make the car into a HPDE toy in a year or two, so I’m starting to compile a parts list now.

ElCheapoA3

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
8V A3 Quattro
Yes, more or less. On OEM you have twice the hoses, because there is some quick connection point close to the aux. cooler (Probably to ease some types of works in engine bay) So you have 2 hoses to quick connection point (from thermostat and DSG cooler to quick connection point) and 2 more from connection point to aux cooler + different Y joint to the thermostat (+ all the OEM bracketing, hose holders etc.)

If you could get the part number of the hose that goes from the quick connector -> aux cooler and quick connector -> y junction it would be much appreciated. I managed to find the aux cooler side here:
https://www.audipartsca.com/v-2015-...4-gas/cooling-system--radiator-and-components

I’m having trouble with the online diagrams - the A3 and S3 have a lot of mixed diagrams on the online parts sites. Plus each module is separated.

Edit 1: This looks like it go go from the quick connect to the pump:

https://www.audipartsca.com/oem-parts/audi-connector-hose-5q0122051at?c=Zz1jb29saW5nLXN5c3RlbSZzPWhvc2VzLWFuZC1saW5lcyZsPTEwJm49QXNzZW1ibGllcyBQYWdlJmE9YXVkaSZvPXMzJnk9MjAxNSZ0PXByZXN0aWdlJmU9Mi0wbC1sNC1nYXM=

Last edited: