GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Home Theater - Off Topic

MReyes

Ready to race!
Hey do what you want with your money, just amazes me. I suppose I'm old school with that, pretty much don't buy anything I can't immediately afford. I really don't understand why you wouldn't just wait a month or two and jus get it then after saving up? :iono:

Meh, whatever. I have a 2.0 system which is a pioneer receiver paired with Sony bookshelfs and it's great for just about everything I can throw at it (and I'm an audiophile). The woofers are 8.5" I believe, so it has good enough bass for my application. Good advice above regarding where to start and build from :thumbup:

I see your point. I couldn't resist the impulse :) I know shame on me. But I guess I am smart in that regard on holding off on the tune since I know I wont have the immediate funds for a clutch if that decides to go out. I know its a crap shoot but dont want to mess with it considering the GTI is taken everywhere with the fam.

What advice are you referring to

Rockchops

Go Kart Champion
Don't know anything about your specific components but your next steps would be:

powered sub to go from 2.0 to 2.1

then center + rear speakers to go from 2.1 to 5.1

A good rule of thumb on the sub would be to make sure you get one that is roughly as good as your front speakers otherwise you're kind of wasting money. Same thing with the center channel as it is for dialogue. Rear channels are pretty much filler though so if you're going to cheap out on anything that is the place to do it.

^ this, sorry should have been more specific there

MReyes

Ready to race!
So I went on amazon and ordered it all today and I overdid haha got the polk tsi 400 and also picked up the polk center channel cs10 and they threw in the 8inch pss111 sub free! It'll be in next week maybe ill snap a picture or my set up along with a review if anyone is at all interested

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
I live in an apartment and have a pieced together 3.1 system. The sub woofer is humongous (12"), didn't realize that when I ordered it... I went w/ a larger driver bc I read it should be able to handle better range of sound even at low volume. It is tamed w/ proper receiver settings.

FYI: Yamaha receiver, KEF bookshelf speakers & center, BIC-F12 sub
I'm content.

Apexeater

Ready to race!
7.1 or dont even bother calling it a theatre. ;)

:rolleyes:

How many people have the room dimensions and shape to even properly set up a 5.1? For the OP's budget I think 5.1 will be just fine.

OP, once you get your speakers spend some time with a sound meter and balance everything out. You can get a cheap (~$30) sound meter at Radio Shack

xytbyk

Go Kart Champion
My Marantz receiver came with a mic to auto-level for surround. I was a little bit worried about it, but it did an excellent job in a funky shaped room. A lot of even sub $1k receivers have this now, which surprised me.

I spent a full day setting up my old receiver's surround sound with borrowed audio equipment when I moved into this apartment. I also had huge old Klipsch Reference floor speakers that took up half the floor space of the room.

For a sub, I have a 8" 1000-watt Velodyne minivee, and it's great. It will pound, but it's super clear and responsive at low volume for when the neighbors are home too.

veedoubleme

Go Kart Champion
I rebuilt my basement 2 years ago to accommodate a home theater. The old mid-80's setup that was in the room didn't work at all. I got lucky and my sump pump broke and flooded my basement. Insurance covered all but about $1k of my build out (not counting electronics). I did all of the work myself (framing, sheetrock, stone, electric, gas, etc). It took a couple of months to build, but damn has it been worth it.

A Samsung PN58C8000 (Samsung's top end 58" 3D Plasma) TV is mounted on a big Sanus swing arm that includes integrated speaker mounts. All 3 front channels are Definitive Technology Mythos series. I built the wall that the TV is on at a 45° angle, creating an electronics closet on the back side that's accessible through the adjacent laundry/utility room. All IR commands go through a repeater.

Here is a pic of the room before we decorated it. The TV can rotate back and go flat against the wall. It just depends on how many people are watching TV. It's normally out like this since the Ekornes chairs are amazing, and that's where we sit 90% of the time.

All wiring to the rear channels and sub (a 10" Martin Logan) go through the walls and such. The system is powered by a Denon 2313CI that I just got a month ago (the thing blows me away!). I also have a PS3, Xbox360, AppleTV, and a DIRECTV HR24. I absolutely love the setup, and especially love that ALL of electronics are hidden in the main room. The home theater equipment wasn't cheap, but it's worth it.

The funny thing is... I hardly watch TV. Maybe 4-6 hours a week. :iono:

Although it's great when I do, and I do play a lot of PS3/Xbox.

Brexin

Ready to race!
Would love a basement setup like that!

Butchered By Auto Correct Using Tapatalk 2

MReyes

Ready to race!
Sick basement!

Yea I'm in a townhome and right now so I am happy with 3.1. I'll be here for a while or at least I would like to think so haha who knows what happens once this gets all set up. Im really just excited because I am sick of trying to watch movies with the crappy tv speakers. Any step up is a big step for me.

And to the point about the sound meter. The H/K receiver I pikced up came with a Mic for that so I will see how that works out and if needed I'll go pikc up the sound meter.

MReyes

Ready to race!
Hopefully someone can help me out. Can I get away with 18 gauge speaker wires or should I stick with at least 16? My speakers at the most will be 5-7 feet away from my receiver

Apexeater

Ready to race!
I rebuilt my basement 2 years ago to accommodate a home theater. The old mid-80's setup that was in the room didn't work at all. I got lucky and my sump pump broke and flooded my basement. Insurance covered all but about $1k of my build out (not counting electronics). I did all of the work myself (framing, sheetrock, stone, electric, gas, etc). It took a couple of months to build, but damn has it been worth it.

A Samsung PN58C8000 (Samsung's top end 58" 3D Plasma) TV is mounted on a big Sanus swing arm that includes integrated speaker mounts. All 3 front channels are Definitive Technology Mythos series. I built the wall that the TV is on at a 45° angle, creating an electronics closet on the back side that's accessible through the adjacent laundry/utility room. All IR commands go through a repeater.

Here is a pic of the room before we decorated it. The TV can rotate back and go flat against the wall. It just depends on how many people are watching TV. It's normally out like this since the Ekornes chairs are amazing, and that's where we sit 90% of the time.

All wiring to the rear channels and sub (a 10" Martin Logan) go through the walls and such. The system is powered by a Denon 2313CI that I just got a month ago (the thing blows me away!). I also have a PS3, Xbox360, AppleTV, and a DIRECTV HR24. I absolutely love the setup, and especially love that ALL of electronics are hidden in the main room. The home theater equipment wasn't cheap, but it's worth it.

The funny thing is... I hardly watch TV. Maybe 4-6 hours a week. :iono:

Although it's great when I do, and I do play a lot of PS3/Xbox.

Very well done. We have similar tastes in style. When I pull down the Christmas tree I will take a picture for comparison.

Apexeater

Ready to race!
Hopefully someone can help me out. Can I get away with 18 gauge speaker wires or should I stick with at least 16? My speakers at the most will be 5-7 feet away from my receiver

Ask 10 people and you will get 10 different opinons on speaker cable, just get oxgen free cable and you should be fine with either 18 or 16. Online is your best bet for any connections. Here is where I have bought cable before: http://www.bluejeanscable.com/