GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Hitch for GTI

StealthGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Hello,

Just a little bump to say if you've ever considered an EcoHitch, I can attest to it being a good product for the Mk7: :)

It was a great day to run some junk to the dump...

My plan for the wiring connector didn't work out. I'll come up with a new plan. Until then, it tucks into the bumper nicely when it's unneeded. See more details about my install and trailer HERE.

Scott

MrMojoRisin1287

Passed Driver's Ed
A few have sent me private messages for extra pictures of my hitch/rack setup. I've had the Curt hitch and this Thule T2 rack for a few months now. Honestly zero complaints for either. The Curt hitch hangs down another inch maybe inch and a half lower than the Ecohitch, although it's much easier to install. It'll all come down to personal preference of what is more important to you, ease of install or slightly less visible.

Personally the hitch receiver is small and painted black, it's hardly visible to me so it's a non-issue for me, others might feel differently.

Attachments

• image4.JPG
    image4.JPG
    111.7 KB · Views: 878
  • image3.JPG
    image3.JPG
    133.1 KB · Views: 795

fschroeder3107

first post on here and new 2016 GTI owner. I had the idea of putting a hitch on the back for a small trailer for bringing my motorcycle to track days. Would this pose a serious issue for anything? also is there a hitch system that is sort of sunken in behind the bumper so you don't have it sticking out when the trailer is not connected? thanks for any and all help guys!

StealthGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Hello,

Post #31 above shows an EcoHitch on my GTI, which is structurally the same as a Golf. The post has a link to my install. The bicycle post above compelled me to share how I carry my bikes:

Here's a side view of the rack...

I usually just carry a single bike like this...

Scott

slipperywhenwet

Go Kart Newbie
Curt 1.25" hitch with a Thule T2 Pro on it. The hitch was the easiest possible thing to install. You don't even need to raise the rear of the car. The way that the Thule is designed cause it to tap the ground, just where the rack meets the hitch, if you're going up anything particularly steep. This is due to a skid plate being built into the rack, but, it doesn't seem to be causing any real issue.

With that said, I'm planning to switch over to a Kuat rack soon, due to its high weight loading, and some of the extra features in it.

Attachments

• IMG_20170422_113123.jpg
    IMG_20170422_113123.jpg
    444.4 KB · Views: 294
  • IMAG7567.jpg
    IMAG7567.jpg
    207.7 KB · Views: 300

j255c

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R Manual
Hello,

Post #31 above shows an EcoHitch on my GTI, which is structurally the same as a Golf. The post has a link to my install. The bicycle post above compelled me to share how I carry my bikes:

Here's a side view of the rack...

I usually just carry a single bike like this...

Scott
What cargo rack is that? Also can it fit 4 tires?

StealthGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Hello,

What cargo rack is that? Also can it fit 4 tires?
It's long-discontinued. I eventually replaced it with a Curt #18110 since it has a threaded hollow shank for anti-sway. If by "four tires" you mean for your car, then yes they'll fit. Here's an old photo that shows 225's mounted on my 48x20" tray with room to spare...

Keep in mind, though, that the load exceeds the hitch's capacity since you have to account for the weight of the rack itself. Also, that cargo is cantilevering against the hitch differently than a trailer does. I didn't consider that back then. Today, I'd put the tires inside and lighter cargo on the hitch. (y)

johnnloki

Drag Racing Champion
Hello,

It's long-discontinued. I eventually replaced it with a Curt #18110 since it has a threaded hollow shank for anti-sway. If by "four tires" you mean for your car, then yes they'll fit. Here's an old photo that shows 225's mounted on my 48x20" tray with room to spare...

Keep in mind, though, that the load exceeds the hitch's capacity since you have to account for the weight of the rack itself. Also, that cargo is cantilevering against the hitch differently than a trailer does. I didn't consider that back then. Today, I'd put the tires inside and lighter cargo on the hitch. (y)
Too funny. I just watched your vid on this exact subject yesterday. (My 6yo loves sleeping in the tent, so I'm upgrading our kayak and camping gear for a few road trips this summer, got new roof rack)

StealthGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Excellent! I started a mild conversion of my 4x6' cargo trailer about two years ago. I wasn't sure if I'd ever sleep in it; so, I hadn't been motivated to finish the last part, a fold-up wall with teardrop door. This weekend is a ham radio event known as "Field Day." I'm planning to spend the night at the venue. As a result, I made a push to finish the project. While off-topic for this thread, I'll share a few photos since you mentioned camping...

The MaxxFan, which is intended for RVs, moves so much air through my tiny trailer that 50% is still sufficient to blow quite a stream of air out of the screen opening in the teardrop door! :ROFLMAO:

FooDogg

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Alltrack S 6MT
Excellent! I started a mild conversion of my 4x6' cargo trailer about two years ago. I wasn't sure if I'd ever sleep in it; so, I hadn't been motivated to finish the last part, a fold-up wall with teardrop door. This weekend is a ham radio event known as "Field Day." I'm planning to spend the night at the venue. As a result, I made a push to finish the project. While off-topic for this thread, I'll share a few photos since you mentioned camping...

The MaxxFan, which is intended for RVs, moves so much air through my tiny trailer that 50% is still sufficient to blow quite a stream of air out of the screen opening in the teardrop door! :ROFLMAO:
Beautiful work Scott.

StealthGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Thanks!

Here are some photos from my first night in my "tiny travel trailer."

My load to get to the venue, carrying too much stuff, of course...

Here's the interior after removing excess gear and inflating the mattress...

Oddly enough, the mattress is a PERFECT fit; it even follows the contours of the rounded corners!

I added a tarp in case of light rain...

I have 32-Ah of onboard LiFePo4 battery and can back-feed the lighting circuit to give me a "porch light" for the evening...

The next morning...

Sleep was surprisingly good. I bumped the wall a few times and I found my feet pressing against the door from time to time, but none of it was unbearable. The combination of insulated walls/ceiling and the fan blocked out all outside sound. During the night, it got cool enough to turn the fan to minimum speed. With the fan noise reduction, I could hear sounds such as insects, passing cars, and a morning generator that was 100ft away. However, it all sounded far away and was minimally intrusive. For reference, the road in the background is the way in and out of the park. So, every vehicle passed within 20 feet of me and was barely noticed.

We were in a park that closes at 7pm and reopens at 7am. We had permission to stay overnight while our club was setup for our emergency comms exercise. I awoke at 7:10am which is about an hour later than usual. I'm not sure if the first cars through the gate woke me, perhaps the generator, or if it was just time. I just sort of woke up, heard some faint sounds, and saw soft light above the MaxxFan (I was in the shade). So, I don't think anything external disturbed me. (y)

Overall, I think this conversion works well. I'm 6 feet tall and may have been more comfortable in a 5x8 conversion. I think anyone under 5'11" would be quite comfortable in a similar 4x6 conversion as long as it has a rounded nose extension (my floor length is 6'2"). Regardless, it worked for me and the lighter trailer tows well behind my GTI.

Okay, that's enough OT from me. Take Care, Everyone!

FooDogg

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Alltrack S 6MT
Fwiw:
I put a 2" Ecohitch on soon after getting my 2017 Alltrack and have used it:

1. Tow a 1200# popup trailer
6984E5B3-771B-477B-BC52-502006486BA1.jpeg

2. Loaded up cargo rack
D9BEDD85-77E4-4B90-9C68-32848E58ED9D.jpeg

3. 1up Super bike rack
8B357870-622D-4ED3-B2CB-CD0CDEE672FE.jpeg

And lately tow a 1400# teardrop (replaced Curt 4pin with 7pin harness.)

54C59E7E-1D95-43FB-936F-7C1C66148409.jpeg

The Ecohitch seems to be holding up well.
You can upsize the bolts.

I'd prefer the Westy aftermarket version of OEM factory hitch but its a lot of work and no guarantee the "ears" will even bolt up to unibody.
And the swing tow ball eliminates all the other cargo options the 2" Ecohitch offers.
3684298A-46AB-4D51-B300-D8F71DEB45D8.jpeg

And if you want the anti-sway interaction from the factory connection to ECU there is quite a bit of electronics work to do thats beyond my capability- but available from The Bearded Detailers blog.

I've towed in up to 80mph interstate speed, and some pretty significant crosswinds during storms (slower of course) and except for blowing a rear car tire at speed (with semi's preventing a quick pullover natch!) I have not had much trailer sway to contend with...so the ecohitch paired with trailer brakes alone has been just fine, for me.

I'd not recommend towing more than 2000# however- except as a tug short distances, with the mk7 platform, but thats for another thread.

Last edited: