GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Hire GTD feels quicker than mine...

mds1256

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi

Long story but I currently have a hire Golf GTD as mine has been in the dealership for 3 weeks so they have given me a temporary GTD to use.

Mine currently has 800 miles on the clock (only had it 3 weeks before it went in to dealership) and when I first got it I was a little disappointed with the lack of torque/response low down the rev range. However this hire car has 10,000 miles on the clock and it feels much more responsive than mine lower down the rev range (how I thought it should be).

Now I have read something that for the 1st 1000 or so mile the Golf limits the full power? Does anyone know if this is true as I would like mine to feel as responsive as this one?

It's quite noticible too.

Avanti

Go Kart Champion
Hi

Long story but I currently have a hire Golf GTD as mine has been in the dealership for 3 weeks so they have given me a temporary GTD to use.

Mine currently has 800 miles on the clock (only had it 3 weeks before it went in to dealership) and when I first got it I was a little disappointed with the lack of torque/response low down the rev range. However this hire car has 10,000 miles on the clock and it feels much more responsive than mine lower down the rev range (how I thought it should be).

Now I have read something that for the 1st 1000 or so mile the Golf limits the full power? Does anyone know if this is true as I would like mine to feel as responsive as this one?

It's quite noticible too.

I doubt it is true, but yes a run in engine will more often than not perform better on all measures.

p4tenttoast

I'm in a similar position. My GTD is 2 weeks old with 700 miles.

When I first took delivery it felt sluggish all through the rev range. I also had an issue where under low / moderate throttle inputs, the engine seemed to go off-boost or cut power at around 2k rpm in first gear only.

In the past few days the power delivery has improved noticeably and hesitation in first gear doesn't happen every single time any more. I've read elsewhere and agree with Avanti that as the mileage racks up, performance will gradually increase with it. I don't think it's much to be concerned about.

mcmaddy

Ready to race!
Apparently the mk7 has something built in to limit full power for 1000kms. How true this is no one knows but certainly a few owners since 2013 have said the same.

pipsyp

Ready to race!
Yep....I had a 64 plate car for a few months that had 19k miles on the clock on loan from my company fleet dept to use whilst my car arrived...returned it with nearly 25k......it was a rocketship and v tractable.

Replaced with a brand new one and the new one felt v v tight and unresponsive by comparison...like chalk and cheese.

A few months on and 8.5k miles on the clock the new one is alot better and seems to just be getting better with the miles...but still not as good as the old one and wont be for a while.

pipsyp

Ready to race!
Something you will also notice is that the ESC/XDS because of the torque output is v overbearing on the GTD.....with it all switched on in 1st and 2nd gear it tends to really hold back to prevent traction loss and tramping......I find its a great deal more responsive in ESC Sport and I tend to switch it into this when driving keenly. I do actually wonder whether the car limits output in 1st and 2nd when ESC is fully enabled?

I have however noticed my Potenzas on the front perhaps only have 3/3.5mm left on them after 8.5k miles which isnt so good haha

mds1256

Passed Driver's Ed
Apparently the mk7 has something built in to limit full power for 1000kms. How true this is no one knows but certainly a few owners since 2013 have said the same.

Yeah that's what I read, I will find out when I get mine back (whenever that will be!)

mds1256

Passed Driver's Ed
Something you will also notice is that the ESC/XDS because of the torque output is v overbearing on the GTD.....with it all switched on in 1st and 2nd gear it tends to really hold back to prevent traction loss and tramping......I find its a great deal more responsive in ESC Sport and I tend to switch it into this when driving keenly. I do actually wonder whether the car limits output in 1st and 2nd when ESC is fully enabled?

I have however noticed my Potenzas on the front perhaps only have 3/3.5mm left on them after 8.5k miles which isnt so good haha

Ha, will give it ago with the ESC in sport - bit cold up here at the moment so roads are too slippery to be messing around.

s7wag

Ready to race!
Guys, if you're worried about the low-end pick up I'd suggest you try out the PedalBox plug n play on the throttle. You'll think you're driving a different car...well worth the £150 for the change in the cars characteristics.

ROBK75

Ready to race!
Guys, if you're worried about the low-end pick up I'd suggest you try out the PedalBox plug n play on the throttle. You'll think you're driving a different car...well worth the £150 for the change in the cars characteristics.

Seconded. Transforms the car and is easy to install and remove.