GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Hill Assist

acoustic_

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
I did some experimenting this AM

mine is set on quick release. There is a 2 second delay before the brakes release, but they also release as soon as you touch the gas.

I am still thinking if it is stalling it is because of lack of gas/releasing clutch too early. It does not really take any revs to make it release early just a touch on the gas pedal. I assume it looks for go pedal voltage and that triggers release.

That's how hill assist works on every vehicle manufacturer. I had it on my VA WRX and it was nice, especially when you're driving with dipshits behind you that are 1/2inch off your bumper. I've never heard of the car stalling due to this. Sounds like user error .. I've never even heard of something being wrong with hill assist to cause what he claims.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
That's how hill assist works on every vehicle manufacturer. I had it on my VA WRX and it was nice, especially when you're driving with dipshits behind you that are 1/2inch off your bumper. I've never heard of the car stalling due to this. Sounds like user error .. I've never even heard of something being wrong with hill assist to cause what he claims.
Did mine (DSG) today, off brake it holds, touch gas it releases and off you go. Should be indentical with a stick....gas pedal release. So if the person is releaseing the clutch too much without gas, that's a stall.

maxwell

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 GSW 6MT 4motion
It absolutely will stall regardless of how much gas you give it. Once it engages - based on the degree of incline - the brakes are solidly locked until it times out. No exceptions. Mine is a 2019 - perhaps you have an older model that was designed to release with gas/clutch.
This is not right.

tigeo

Autocross Champion

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI MT, PP, LP
To each his own. I thought I hated this when I first had it on the mk6 GTI. I got used to it and now I'm very much happy with it. As someone mentioned, there are times you get an ass ride right up to your bumper on a hill at a light. Like, the kind that if they can still see your license plate, they're too far from your bumper. They have to grab every little gap between your car and theirs. Or the other people I can't stand, where light turns green and you haven't moved forward yet, but the car behind you does. Like, where you going buddy if I don't go?

Sorry for long rant, but yeah I've gotten used to it and appreciate it more than hate it. I know it can be disabled, but at this point I would never want to, lol.

maxwell

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 GSW 6MT 4motion
Agreed - gas releases it when you are off the brake on the DSG. Why wouldn't it be that way?
That's exactly how it operates. If it doesn't, I suggest taking it to the dealer ASAP. You have an issue. @back2brand

EDIT: Also, if you are not blipping the throttle from a stop N-1... you are doing it wrong.