GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Help! unknown Engine Leak ? Golf 7 1.8T

Cssoz

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf 7, 2017 1.8T
Hi my fellow Golf 7owners!

• Can anyone please tell me what is this leak? I have scrapped off the burn black layer in the summer but it filled back up with "oil" looking like fluid
  • it smells like iron/blood when I use Q-tips to clean it.
  • the fluid comes out of that tiny square-ish hole and fills up that "pool" around the crust
  • I do not notice any loss of engine oil, brake fluid, maybe a bit of coolant,
  • I do see some wet spots under the water pump/thermostat housing (driver side ofc) area
  • Could anyone tell me what this may be?
Thank you!
PXL_20211130_025641896.jpg
PXL_20211130_025738710.MP.jpg
PXL_20211130_030249003.jpg

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Hi my fellow Golf 7owners!

• Can anyone please tell me what is this leak? I have scrapped off the burn black layer in the summer but it filled back up with "oil" looking like fluid
  • it smells like iron/blood when I use Q-tips to clean it.
  • the fluid comes out of that tiny square-ish hole and fills up that "pool" around the crust
  • I do not notice any loss of engine oil, brake fluid, maybe a bit of coolant,
  • I do see some wet spots under the water pump/thermostat housing (driver side ofc) area
  • Could anyone tell me what this may be?
Thank you!
View attachment 233193View attachment 233194View attachment 233196
Probably thermostat housing as you suspect especially since you said slight coolant loss.

Cssoz

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf 7, 2017 1.8T
Probably thermostat housing as you suspect especially since you said slight coolant loss.
thanks for your insights. I drove about 100km today and the coolant is back up... =/

any other ideas? I am getting the car lift up and look at next week some time but it's hard to tell even from the bottom

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
Thermostat housing leak is very common on the mk7, sometimes it's so slow that you won't notice any coolant loss. I also think it's probably that.

marlanu

That's the oil cooler ! The thermostat housing is more to the right in your photos.
It could also be an issue with the gasket of the bracket that holds the oil filter and oil cooler
Oil leak is brown/black- when "cooked" . Coolant leak is pink/white-when cooked.

Last edited:

Cssoz

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf 7, 2017 1.8T
That's the oil cooler ! The thermostat housing is more to the right in your photos.
It could also be an issue with the gasket of the bracket that holds the oil filter and oil cooler
Oil leak is brown/black- when "cooked" . Coolant leak is pink/white-when cooked.
thank you! I'll look into that. my shop guy has covid. now idk if I have it I'm in quarantine.