GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

[HELP] GTI U.S. Stock Height x Brazil Stock Height

El_Loco

Passed Driver's Ed
What's up, guys... I would really be glad if you could help me on this one.

VW has a "weird" habit of making some modifications on the cars they import to sell here in Brazil. One of them is the adaptation of ride height. As most brazilian roads are in very poor conditions, they make the cars ride higher than when they leave the factorty in Germany.

Needless to say that GTIs look kind of strange with such a big gap between the tires and the fenders, so we lower them with aftermarket springs or coilovers.

Another problem is that it seems that authorities around here have some kind of a problem with lowered cars. Actually, depending on the state, cops will do whatever they can to put your lowered car out of the streets.

So, the way to avoid problems with the law is trying to lower the car in a more OEM-like look.

Here is a before/after of my car with stock springs and then with H&R Sport springs, which I guess is little bit too low to our road standards.

So, I 'd like to know what is the height of the gap between tires and fenders on stock GTIs in the US. If it's not as high as it is here in Brazil, I guess importing and installing the stock springs sold there would be a good solution.

Could any of you guys measure the gap and tell me the results?

Thanks!

Last edited:

blazter

Ready to race!
The US and European version are the same. They ride about 15 mm lower than our version.
I'm thinking on putting some 18'' or 19'' on mine. But I'm afraid they'll look terrible without a drop.