GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Help deciding on summer wheels..

arres

Ready to race!
Car(s)
VW MK7 Golf R
Hello all,

So I'm going to see my stock 19" Cadiz wheels/tires, and thinking about what to get for next year. This is where I would like some of your suggestions.

Here's what my limits are:

Diameter: 18"

Width: 8" (with a lower offset ~32mm) 8.5" (with a higher offset ~47mm)

Price: $250-$550/wheel

Initial Thoughts: BBS CH-R, in Matte Titanium, or some Hartmann's, or maybe Replika 167's. I like the OEM look, so I'm not looking to stray too far.

Any thoughts? Currently not lowered, but do have a set of Neuspeed springs off the car, that came with it when purchased, and also considering the MSS fully adjustable.

Thanks!

Last edited:

arres

Ready to race!
Car(s)
VW MK7 Golf R
Not a good idea. Get ET45 to ET48. Lots of info on the forum why. ;)

So my knowledge could be wrong, but I thought in effect, 8.5" width with 47mm offset would be about the same as 8" width with 32mm offset -- I know ultimately 15mm is .59", so it would basically be an 8.6" wheel @ et 47mm?

But I'll try to do some more digging in case I'm way off. As I mentioned above, I know people do 10-15mm spacers with the stock wheels for the "flush" look, without issue...

AR11

Ready to race!
Changing the offset will change the scrub radius which in turn changes steering feel. There is more to offset than just fitting your fender.

arres

Ready to race!
Car(s)
VW MK7 Golf R
Changing the offset will change the scrub radius which in turn changes steering feel. There is more to offset than just fitting your fender.

Got it. If our only concern was fitting within the fenders, the calculated result of offset and width (be it higher offset, higher width or lower offset, lower width) would be basically negligible.

But when dealing with steering and the wheels themselves will potentially be "offset" from the center-line differently (be it an 8" et32 or 8.5" et47), there's will the difference will be felt, correct? And negative impacts may occur?

2015WhiteGTI

Go Kart Champion
IMHO, the last thing I'd ever want to do is spend money on wheels and have the car look "stock." If you're changing wheels, why wouldn't you want to stand out or look different? If you put a wheel on that looks very stock, then nobody will know that you did anything. You might as well just stay with stock then.

Does anyone else "need to know"? Do other people's tastes matter anyway?

AR1 is absolutely right with offset and scrub radius. I understand the wish to
have the car look little meatier, but you shouldn't overdoe anything which has
a technical relation and consequences on safety. Lower offset inevitably will
affect steering and stability.
However there's some limit due to fender clearance anyway. While with ET32
it likely will rub even with 225s, with ET48 you might have zero issues even
with 235s. This will still "look better" (wider to be precise) compared to stock.
Most prefer ET45 as a compromise and there's huge choice on wheels with
that offset both 8.0" and 8.5" width.

arres

Ready to race!
Car(s)
VW MK7 Golf R
IMHO, the last thing I'd ever want to do is spend money on wheels and have the car look "stock." If you're changing wheels, why wouldn't you want to stand out or look different? If you put a wheel on that looks very stock, then nobody will know that you did anything. You might as well just stay with stock then.

I guess by stock, staying in the German "realm". I'm coming from Subaru world, so I think there's definitely a difference in styling between the two worlds. Not say one can't blend the two..

Does anyone else "need to know"? Do other people's tastes matter anyway?

AR1 is absolutely right with offset and scrub radius. I understand the wish to
have the car look little meatier, but you shouldn't overdoe anything which has
a technical relation and consequences on safety. Lower offset inevitably will
affect steering and stability.
However there's some limit due to fender clearance anyway. While with ET32
it likely will rub even with 225s, with ET48 you might have zero issues even
with 235s. This will still "look better" (wider to be precise) compared to stock.
Most prefer ET45 as a compromise and there's huge choice on wheels with
that offset both 8.0" and 8.5" width.

I'll need to read up on scrub radius, because I'm not familiar with it. As much as I've been in the "modifiable" car world (had a Subaru for 8 years prior to the R), I don't know much about the finer details.

Ultimately, I'm just looking for some help with narrowing my search down, and also looking for input in some wheel stylings I may not be aware of, that work well with the MK7 body.

At the end of the day, I see myself going with some CH-R II's, but that is a huge wheel investment for me. But, when looking at the price tag of the car, I don't think it's fair to worry about saving a few bucks, either.

Thanks for your input!

2015WhiteGTI

Go Kart Champion
I guess by stock, staying in the German "realm". I'm coming from Subaru world, so I think there's definitely a difference in styling between the two worlds. Not say one can't blend the two.

I guess I'm the epitome of the blending of the two since I'm running Volk TE37SL on my GTI :D

I too like the BBS CH-R II, but on the BBS website they only list it in 20".
For that kind of money, I'd get the BBS RF for sure. Forged light weight wheel is so yummy!
Good-luck with your choice.

arres

Ready to race!
Car(s)
VW MK7 Golf R
I guess I'm the epitome of the blending of the two since I'm running Volk TE37SL on my GTI :D

I too like the BBS CH-R II, but on the BBS website they only list it in 20".

For that kind of money, I'd get the BBS RF for sure. Forged light weight wheel is so yummy!

Good-luck with your choice.

lol never mind. Just the CH-R's not II's. See if I can find a set for 2k new...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2015WhiteGTI

Go Kart Champion

arres

Ready to race!
Car(s)
VW MK7 Golf R
FYI, decided to go with Miro 111 Anthracites. 18x8.5, et45

Now to find VW center caps that will fit...