GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Heating with Climatronic

psygieda

Passed Driver's Ed
Have about 2700 miles and love my MK 7. Best car I ever owned.

I read and searched the manual under Climatronic controls, but cannot find the answer to my question.

When turning on the heating with AUTO button, the A/C light always comes on.

The other day it was about 38 F here in Chicago, and again when pressing the AUTO and setting temp to 70 F the A/C light was on why?
Is the A/C compressor on even though the outside temp is low? Seems strange, unless somehow it works with the heating system and controls the humidity inside the cabin.

If anyone can explain this to me I would be grateful.

Avanti

Go Kart Champion
Have about 2700 miles and love my MK 7. Best car I ever owned.

I read and searched the manual under Climatronic controls, but cannot find the answer to my question.

When turning on the heating with AUTO button, the A/C light always comes on.

The other day it was about 38 F here in Chicago, and again when pressing the AUTO and setting temp to 70 F the A/C light was on why?
Is the A/C compressor on even though the outside temp is low? Seems strange, unless somehow it works with the heating system and controls the humidity inside the cabin.

If anyone can explain this to me I would be grateful.

I don't know what the farenheit is, but the compressor works down to 4C, yes the light would remain on, to indcate that the compressor will function if required, as well as refridgerate, the air con will de humidify also.

psygieda

Passed Driver's Ed
So, should I just leave the A/C on by default or should I switch it off manually ?

Does this deteriorate my fuel consumption if I continue to drive with A/C on in the winter months?

Thanks for the reply

Avanti

Go Kart Champion
So, should I just leave the A/C on by default or should I switch it off manually ?

Does this deteriorate my fuel consumption if I continue to drive with A/C on in the winter months?

Thanks for the reply

There is a convenience consumption reader in the car display, at worst I think IIRC, it was 1/4 imperial gallon/hour.

psygieda

Passed Driver's Ed
If the car is using defrost, the AC will be on to dry out the air. If not, you would get steam on windshield

I was not using defrost at all.

Imagine this scenario:

You get in the car, outside temp is about 38F or colder, you start the car, then you press the AUTO button. As soon as you do the A/C is illuminated. You can adjust inside temp to whatever you like however the A/C is always on.
I can of course turn the A/C off, but my point is why does the A/C go on automatically?

Sorry if I am not understanding this situation. None of my previous cars had this happen. Not even my wife's 2014 Audi A4 with auto climate does that.

Avanti

Go Kart Champion
I was not using defrost at all.

Imagine this scenario:

You get in the car, outside temp is about 38F or colder, you start the car, then you press the AUTO button. As soon as you do the A/C is illuminated. You can adjust inside temp to whatever you like however the A/C is always on.
I can of course turn the A/C off, but my point is why does the A/C go on automatically?

Sorry if I am not understanding this situation. None of my previous cars had this happen. Not even my wife's 2014 Audi A4 with auto climate does that.

Perhaps, yours is not working correctly, not only the MK7 but MK 5 and MK4, if it was cold and you started the car, and had the setting on auto, then 'nothing' would happen until the engine had reached a temperature to supply warm air to the cockpit.

psygieda

Passed Driver's Ed
Perhaps, yours is not working correctly, not only the MK7 but MK 5 and MK4, if it was cold and you started the car, and had the setting on auto, then 'nothing' would happen until the engine had reached a temperature to supply warm air to the cockpit.

You are correct Avanti, nothing happens until engine warms up. I am not disputing this at all. My only concern is why A/C is on in the first place? Does everyone have the same scenario when you press AUTO when in cold weather, that is all.

Avanti

Go Kart Champion
You are correct Avanti, nothing happens until engine warms up. I am not disputing this at all. My only concern is why A/C is on in the first place? Does everyone have the same scenario when you press AUTO when in cold weather, that is all.

I dodn't know about everyone, but yes, my light is on, unless I press the button to disable the compressor, in the MK4 it was called ECON (may have been similar in the MK5 (which I did disable).

psygieda

Passed Driver's Ed
I dodn't know about everyone, but yes, my light is on, unless I press the button to disable the compressor, in the MK4 it was called ECON (may have been similar in the MK5 (which I did disable).

OK, so I guess this is normal. Cool. Do you think having the A/C on in winter helps with the air inside the cabin? Even though the compressor is disabled below as you stated 3C?

Avanti

Go Kart Champion
OK, so I guess this is normal. Cool. Do you think having the A/C on in winter helps with the air inside the cabin? Even though the compressor is disabled below as you stated 3C?

It's only disabled in the sense that it won't deliver cold air on demand, it will dehumidfy if required, I have not tried it on the MK7, but on the MK4 and MK5, you could hear the clucth operate or notice a slight change in engine speed if observant, oh and there was a very slight but noticeable loss of power.

psygieda

Passed Driver's Ed
I will try to listen a bit more next week, as the forecast calls for sub 30F weather in Chicago.
I don't believe the clutch engages at this point, but will verify and report.
Thanks Avanti

Avanti

Go Kart Champion
I will try to listen a bit more next week, as the forecast calls for sub 30F weather in Chicago.
I don't believe the clutch engages at this point, but will verify and report.
Thanks Avanti

I meant when you are stationary and it is at a temperature that it would function on demand.

CurbKiller

Please note that this is common across all VAG products and IIRC any other car with a full automated system. Nothing to worry about at all. There are safe guards in the system.

My manual is in German and I'm not up to snuff in being able to read it fully but I'm certain VW makes mention of the AC light and the issue/question you describe.

I set it to Auto and forget about it.

Cheers

P

ChrisK

Ready to race!
Please note that this is common across all VAG products and IIRC any other car with a full automated system. Nothing to worry about at all. There are safe guards in the system.

My manual is in German and I'm not up to snuff in being able to read it fully but I'm certain VW makes mention of the AC light and the issue/question you describe.

I set it to Auto and forget about it.

Cheers

P
I think that’s true as this is how my Seat Leon CC works and I assume the AC comes on just for humidity reasons however if the windows aren’t misting I turn it off manually.

I don’t know if it’s so for the Golf but the Auto settings on the Seat has 2 auto positions Auto 1 for one or two souls on board and Auto 2 for 4 or 5 persons and this seems to step up the blower speed but don’t know if there any other effects.