GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Headlight question??? Please help me understand

jmp4golfvw

Ready to race!
Hey all,
I apologize in advance for my ignorance....can anyone please help me understand the deal with the Mk7 headlights and what do I do to switch the halogens over to bi-xenons and DRL's and fogs to LED? I've read every post dealing with the topic, as well as all of the aftermarket replacement posts, but I'm still not getting it lol. Ive put the time in reading so its not lack of effort, lack of intelligence, good possibility [emoji6]

Okay so I have a 2015 Golf SEL 1.8L TSI

I have the projector headlights, but I don't have the "lighting package", (which I don't understand, why give me projectors but no HID, but also not the reflector type like most non-lighting package buyers got? Not complaining btw I love them, the self leveling, cornering light, etc) anyway, so I'm assuming because of that, I don't have the HID/Bi-Xenon bulbs in my headlights, I have the projectors but w/halogen bulbs, right? Lol not sure why this is so confusing, I'm daft but come on [emoji6]....and because I have the projectors and not the reflector type, that I don't need to do a total switch out (getting the replicas like Ed's etc) to upgrade to BI-Xenon if I'm not looking to have both "U" DRL's lit up, right? I would rather having both lit but can't justify $600+ on headlights right now.

Okay the question of the hour...what do I have to do to have what basically amounts to the lighting package: having the bi-xenon set-up, both hi and low beam? I would also like to change out any bulbs I can to LED, like the DRL's and the fog lights....help!

Thanks in advance...

P.S. I'd also like to switch out what ever taillights I can with LED's, especially the reverse lights! So if anyone knows where to get them and a list of what bulbs. Thanks again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Wastegate13

Autocross Champion
You have the lighting package. I'm not entirely sure what you are trying to accomplish. Where are you located?

jmp4golfvw

Ready to race!
You have the lighting package. I'm not entirely sure what you are trying to accomplish. Where are you located?

Haha ha ha, hence my problem., if I have projectors do I definitely then have HID's? I can not get a definitive answer, I was told I didn't have the lighting package, but had projector headlights, when I asked at the dealership....so I looked on my window sticker and there's no "lighting package" like there is on other Golfs/GTI's on the lot. See why I'm so confused lol. Im in the US Charlotte, North Carolina btw....

Gibberoni

Ready to race!
Yes, you have HID bulbs in your BiXenon projectors.

Most salesmen at dealers are idiots (no offence to those that are not), and have no idea what they are talking about. They just know enough to sell you a car. Ill never forget the first question I was asked when looking at this car: Does it have enough cup holders? You look like someone who needs more cupholders. This is after I asked about the standard and PP GTI...

eayala493

Passed Driver's Ed
When I bought my GTI, the salesmen didn't even know the lighting package existed. He even asked me to explain to him what it was and what vehicles it can be applied to.

eayala493

Passed Driver's Ed
Could it be possible that you do have halogens inside of the projectors? Many manufacturers will put halogens in the projectors of the lower end models. You should be able to tell by the color temperature. I think the stock color temp for GTI HID are 5,500k

PWGTI

My dealer knew nothing except the line, "you'll love it, it was named car of the year."
Coming from an Evo X MR I could really care less, I just wanted to compare the two and see if the bonus usability and comfort was worth the decrease in performance to me. I've honestly haven't met a car salesman who knew anything useful about their merchandise.... And I've purchase many, many cars in my time.

Gibberoni

Ready to race!
IIRC, there are different types of projectors for halogen bulbs. My brother's mazda has halogen projectors, and I think you can modify it to fit HIDs.

On our cars, they are D3S bulbs (I think) which are a really weird bulb and would make it hard to fit a halogen in there. I am sure you have HID bulbs. If the color is a yellow white and you have a semi blue cutoff line, then they are HID.

I have not heard of anyone getting halogen bulbs with their LP.

jmp4golfvw

Ready to race!
Holy shit! Are you serious? 5 1/2 month of brain damaging confusion lol! I said this so many times, "why would I have halogen bulbs inside what seems to be HID projectors?"

Okay so to clarify one last time, lol, I have bi-xenon bulbs in my HID projectors? Correct? I really appreciate someone cutting through the stupid and telling me wtf I had, lol. So then I do wonder why my window sticker doesn't say lighting package...I'm going to pull it out and do a thorough inspection [emoji6] thanks again!

P.s. Anyone list the replacement bulbs to do the LED switch on fogs, taillights, etc? Oh and are my DRL's LED?

eayala493

Passed Driver's Ed
IIRC, there are different types of projectors for halogen bulbs. My brother's mazda has halogen projectors, and I think you can modify it to fit HIDs.

On our cars, they are D3S bulbs (I think) which are a really weird bulb and would make it hard to fit a halogen in there. I am sure you have HID bulbs. If the color is a yellow white and you have a semi blue cutoff line, then they are HID.

I think the bulbs are actually D2S. I actually want to swap them out but am unsure on how to do so

Gibberoni

Ready to race!
Holy shit! Are you serious? 5 1/2 month of brain damaging confusion lol! I said this so many times, "why would I have halogen bulbs inside what seems to be HID projectors?"

Okay so to clarify one last time, lol, I have bi-xenon bulbs in my HID projectors? Correct? I really appreciate someone cutting through the stupid and telling me wtf I had, lol. So then I do wonder why my window sticker doesn't say lighting package...I'm going to pull it out and do a thorough inspection [emoji6] thanks again!

You have HID bulbs in bi-xenon projectors. HID describes the type of bulb, while bi-xenon is just a fancy way of saying you have a flap that moves up and down in the projector that switches them from low to high/full beam.

P.s. Anyone list the replacement bulbs to do the LED switch on fogs, taillights, etc? Oh and are my DRL's LED?

Check out this thread: http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4680

Yes, the DRL's are LED, look at them through a camera app on your phone and you will see them "refresh".

Hope this helps.

eayala493 said:
I think the bulbs are actually D2S. I actually want to swap them out but am unsure on how to do so
I swear I was looking up these bulbs and it said D3S, but you may totally be right. If they are in fact D2S, they there are lots of replacements out there.

jmp4golfvw

Ready to race!
Could it be possible that you do have halogens inside of the projectors? Many manufacturers will put halogens in the projectors of the lower end models. You should be able to tell by the color temperature. I think the stock color temp for GTI HID are 5,500k

That's what I've been wondering since I was told I didn't have Bi-Xenons...but I do have a SEL, not low end by any means.

Yes, you have HID bulbs in your BiXenon projectors.

Most salesmen at dealers are idiots (no offence to those that are not), and have no idea what they are talking about. They just know enough to sell you a car.

Thank you, first definitive answer lol...That's what I was thinking too, and exactly, salesmen know enough to barely keep their jobs it seems in my experience (I know that's not always the case, easy guys lol [emoji6])

I am sure you have HID bulbs. If the color is a yellow white and you have a semi blue cutoff line, then they are HID.

Yep they are like that, cutoff, etc...but like I said my sticker doesn't have the LP on it. That's where all this confusion started.

Sorry if I repeated some of this, just figured out multi-quote reply [emoji106]

Last edited:

Wastegate13

Autocross Champion
That's what I've been wondering since I was told I didn't have Bi-Xenons...but I do have a SEL, not low end by any means.

Thank you, first definitive answer lol...That's what I was thinking too, and exactly, salesmen know enough to barely keep their jobs it seems in my experience (I know that's not always the case, easy guys lol [emoji6])

Yep they are like that, cutoff, etc...but like I said my sticker doesn't have the LP on it. That's where all this confusion started.

Sorry if I repeated some of this, just figured out multi-quote reply [emoji106]

That's the first thing I told you lol.

jmp4golfvw

Ready to race!
Yeah I just inspected my window sticker line by line and nowhere does it say anything about the headlights except this
so I don't know wtf, I have a strong feeling if my car had the lighting package itd be noted and charged for, but it says nothing but automatic headlights w/ DRL" and in the options, on the right side of the sticker, where it would say "lighting package" if it was installed it says nada
I'm so damn confused....on the bright side though, when looking at my sticker I saw that I was charged for the road side assistance package but never received it. Called my service manager and he said he'd get me one next time I'm in so that's a positive I guess

HELP!

Last edited: