GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Headlight general info please

Matt_GTD99

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Golf gtd mk7 2013
63 plate GTD

Can someone give me an idiots guide to exactly which light does what in the headlight array of lights please?

also I previously posted a link about an light bend error, this has now been ‘fixed’ with a new module and some codes I’m told.. but I can figure out how cornering light works, or static lighting works.

me and are lass spent a while in the dark and wet rain last night trying all sorts but we can only really manage to get the dipped / side lights/ full beam/ and indicators to really light up.

I tried going for a drive in normal and sports with dynamic/bend light selected but nothing really changed or lit as I went round a corner.

(also I’ve read that some things don’t work in eco mode so I disabled stop start and hadn’t drove in eco drive setup)

many thoughts please smart people?

Lth0ms0n

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2013 Golf GTD
I'm not sure if this will differ internationally but, in mine...

1) The lights which illuminate when you’re indicating, or manoeuvring, are actually the most ridiculously placed (and the most likely to pop, also - I've had to replace mine a good few times but it's usually quite straight-forward) - they're the angled bulb which is mounted behind the side-lights.

2) In mine, the inner-most pair are the sidelights. I just tested mine now and they come on with the dipped beams when the automatic sensor kicks them in.

3) The final ones, on the outside, are dual-purposed. The dipped-beam is here and so are the full-beams, when you turn them on:

CB80A5E8-0181-47F3-9776-1BFB4771455D_1_201_a.jpeg

I seem to believe there is an incandescent bulb (on models with LED fog lights, like the GTI/GTD) which also lights up with indicators, when turning the wheel under a certain speed and also when reversing. I can't say that I've noticed the last time I saw my car do that - I hope that doesn't mean it's popped and not told me yet!

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion
@Lth0ms0n you can replace the static cornering lights with LED's I did that years ago and they are fine. You need to get slimline H7 LED's so that you can get the rear headlight cover on.

Also I have coded my fog light to come on as addition to the corner lights and when in reverse.

Lth0ms0n

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2013 Golf GTD
@Lth0ms0n you can replace the static cornering lights with LED's I did that years ago and they are fine. You need to get slimline H7 LED's so that you can get the rear headlight cover on.

Also I have coded my fog light to come on as addition to the corner lights and when in reverse.
Yeah I’ve seen that, I need to do the same to mine.

I’m going to have a look for LED bulbs for the front as well, it’s always annoyed me they’re incandescent when literally no other light in the headlamp is…

Can you replace the cornering light at the top of the fog lamp array with an LED one also?

Javwohl

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Carbon Steel
@Finglonga can you post a link for the static led bulbs you used. And slightly off topic can you send me the coding you did to get you front lights and turn signals act the way you have them. Did it on my first 17 no problem. But my second one has the current modular and can't remember how did it on the first on. Thanks.

cjboertjens

I have just replaced one of the D3S lightbulbs with the same standard Philips one (at NZ$175....) but noticed it is a lot less bright. The garage said it might take to "warm up" but has anyone ever experienced this? It's exactly the same as the factory fitted one.