Did the LEO's abuse their power?

• Yes

Votes: 37 55.2%
  • No

Votes: 30 44.8%

• Total voters

greasyginzo

Go Kart Champion
Owner was being a jack ass. It's on his shoulders.

Anybody that says they could have deterred the dog should put themselves in this situation. What would you do when the jack ass owner is telling the dog to help him and you have a 100+lb Rott charging you?

Sucks that the dog died but the owner could have easily just walked past and went about his business.

He's the one that created the situation regardless of how many different ways the cops could have handled it.

Where the fuck did you get that he told the dog to attack? And if thats what he wanted why would he put the dog in the car before submitting to the cops?

razr390

Go Kart Champion
So far we have two LEO's who said that the law enforcement side made some mistakes as well. In the sense that ultimately LE is held to a higher standard in situations like these, are they not?

Sent from my BlackBerry Q10 using Tapatalk 2

GTINAPLES

Ready to race!
Ok third cop should not have tried to touch the dog at all since unless you are blind AND deaf you can hear the owner say no to the dog and the dog sniffs the ground and wait until the third cop trys to grab him is when the already FREAKED OUT dog attacks. Then the officer pulls the trigger. If the third cop would have left the dog be, the dog would be alive.

If you were a kid and saw your dad getting arrested and you didn't know why you would freak out. Your dad says no it is ok I will be fine you back down. Then a cop comes up to you with a gun drawn and tries to grab your face. What would you do? See where the dog is coming from?

This third deputy made a mistake, a stupid one.

socal87

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2012 GTI, Sun/Nav
I won't lie, I've thought about being a cop. And I'm still thinking about it. And if I do, I'll make a career out of it. And once I've reached the top, you had better believe that I won't put up with any sort of bullshit like this from my officers. No unpaid leave, no suspensions...I would hang them out to dry and charge them with any and all criminal offenses they are guilty of. I believe in being professional and doing your job right.

razr390

Go Kart Champion
I won't lie, I've thought about being a cop. And I'm still thinking about it. And if I do, I'll make a career out of it. And once I've reached the top, you had better believe that I won't put up with any sort of bullshit like this from my officers. No unpaid leave, no suspensions...I would hang them out to dry and charge them with any and all criminal offenses they are guilty of. I believe in being professional and doing your job right.

So you indeed know right from wrong in any professional situation (you are a Marine recruiter), and you do believe that the death of the dog is totally not justified on the situation because there was a prospective "trigger-happy" cop in the situation when they could have professionally handled it in a different way, which would have yielded a more positive outcome?

So far that's TWO LEO's and ONE Marine

Bender1

Banned
So far we have two LEO's who said that the law enforcement side made some mistakes as well.

Personal opinions? To me this is a straight up abuse of authority.

The second quote is you from the first post. I just want to keep us on target to show how far we have come. I think we can all see this is absolutely NOT an abuse of authority.

Bender1

Banned
No, I will speak for all of us.

If you are an anti-leo person you will think an LEO farting in the dark by himself is an abuse of power so I don't consider you as a participant in this topic. If you have a well thought out structured argument as to why it would be one, then I would be happy to hear it. That said, I haven't seen one that met those requirements yet in this thread.

mustache rash

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI
No, I will speak for all of us.

If you are an anti-leo person you will think an LEO farting in the dark by himself is an abuse of power so I don't consider you as a participant in this topic. If you have a well thought out structured argument as to why it would be one, then I would be happy to hear it. That said, I haven't seen one that met those requirements yet in this thread.

I am certainly not an anti Leo person as you say. I come from a long history of NYC POs, most recently being my father.

Just because you have fantasy of being a LEO but instead took a different path for some reason does not make your opinion the only one that matters.

Just because you are a moderator on a be board does not make you the authority on this subject

greasyginzo

Go Kart Champion
I am certainly not an anti Leo person as you say. I come from a long history of NYC POs, most recently being my father.

Just because you have fantasy of being a LEO but instead took a different path for some reason does not make your opinion the only one that matters.

Just because you are a moderator on a be board does not make you the authority on this subject

This^

My father is an ex cop and would not have shot the dog. It may not be abuse of power but it's an abuse of using the gun

It was not necessary to kill the dog period end of story his life was not in danger and no amount of authority bullshit will change my mind.

Everybody who says he was right to shoot the dog tell me why the cops could not let the dog owner calm the dog down and pit him away

mustache rash

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI
And we keep ignoring that the officer recklessly discharged his weapon 4 times with numerous civilians in close proximity.

His lack of control in a stressful situation puts many people's lives in jeopardy including his fellow officers.

The discharging of the weapon was a bigger threat to loss of life then the dog ever could be

Bender1

Banned

Ok then back to this, you should be more than able to do the below (I am ignoring your other comments as they are irrelevant and off base):

If you have a well thought out structured argument as to why it would be one, then I would be happy to hear it.

My father is an ex cop and would not have shot the dog.
As is mine and he most definitely would have and would have expected his men to do the same.

It was not necessary to kill the dog period end of story his life was not in danger.
But his physical well being was. This is a dog we are talking about, not a person. I am a dog fanatic but a dogs life is < a person's well being.

Everybody who says he was right to shoot the dog tell me why the cops could not let the dog owner calm the dog down and pit him away
To me, thats not the debate. The owner was cuffed for a reason that we do not yet fully understand. From the sound of it, he has had previous confrontations so they cuffed him for safety of all involved.

Here is the difference - if you are looking at it from "what could have been done differently" there are a few things that absolutely could have changed (seems to be your point of view). If you are looking at it from "did the officer act prudently in the situation presented" the answer is absolutely he did (my point of view).

I view my point of view as "right" because we simply don't have enough information to judge why they did what they did. All we have is that instant on video where a dog that has the potential to seriously harm someone is acting aggressive. Judging on anything more than that is putting assumptions into place that cannot be proven or justified at the present time.

And we keep ignoring that the officer recklessly discharged his weapon 4 times with numerous civilians in close proximity.
This is the most compelling argument I have seen so far but from the looks of it (and its is hard to tell) he was very controlled with his firing.

greasyginzo

Go Kart Champion
Maybe if cops got jumped in they wouldn't be so scared of a little pain but most are such pussy's they feel the need to shoot dogs and continually taze non life threatening people