GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Having a hard time reading dipstick after oil change

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
2015 takes 6 qts of oil. Car is still warm from a drive earlier. I replaced filter and extracted as much as I can. Poured in 5 qts, started car briefly, then measured. Low. Duh. Added .5 qt. Still low. Added another .25 qt. Still low. Started car and revved it for a bit, maybe 10 seconds. Still low. Poured the rest in so 6 qts total. Started and revved for 10 sec. Waited a few min. IT STILL LOOKS LOW. What the F. Do I need to wait several more min for the oil to drain down to the pan or something? None of the DAP videos mention that. Or am I a dipstick dipshit?

63B7A7F3-52E1-4500-BE06-6FD7ED17FC81.jpeg

Last edited:

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
Checked it 11 min later and it’s a little bit higher now. How long do I need to wait for it to be “accurate” and if this is how it works, how do I ever know the oil level is accurate at any point I check it? 🤷

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Pull the dip-stick out of the tube, clean it off and wait 2 min before re-measuring to wait for the residual oil that’s making it difficult to read to drain down the tube.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
So as long as it’s past the halfway point it’s accurate? I expected with 6qts it would be at the top if not a little over. Seems like I’m missing something lol. (Maybe just my sense)
Anywhere on the textured area is fine.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
Pull the dip-stick out of the tube, clean it off and wait 2 min before re-measuring to wait for the residual oil that’s making it difficult to read to drain down the tube.
I’ve done that like 10 times now. The level has stopped moving and it’s at like the 80% mark now. I guess it takes 15 min or so to drain to the pan?

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
I’ve done that like 10 times now. The level has stopped moving and it’s at like the 80% mark now. I guess it takes 15 min or so to drain to the pan?
Mine never takes that long, but looking at the photo of the level above, I’d say you’re fine.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
OK I guess lesson learned: stop relying on ShopDAP videos 😒 “Pour the oil in and check the level.” O rly, ShopDAP dude? That simple? Apparently not.

kevinkar

Drag Racing Champion
OK I guess lesson learned: stop relying on ShopDAP videos 😒 “Pour the oil in and check the level.” O rly, ShopDAP dude? That simple? Apparently not.
I've been changing oil in my cars for over 40 years. It's the same each time. Run the engine for a bit to get it warmed up (but not at 212 degrees as that's pretty freakin' hot), drain the oil, refill, and measure with dipstick. Because the engine block is warm, the oil does pretty much settle down very quickly and I can see it at the proper mark on the dipstick. Then run the engine to fully warm up (yep, 212 degrees or whatever) and check for leaks. When done, let it sit for a few minutes as you clean up the garage and any oil spills then check the dipstick. As long as it's in the noted range (I like it to show halfway or closer to the upper mark or AT LEAST higher than it was when it was ready to be changed) I'm good.

Not really sure what each manufacturer intends but I like to see the level at the middle of the range. For the most part, that's what I see in all my cars.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
Why are you relying on some videos? User guide includes how to check oil level, too.
The user manual just gives you a range of acceptable levels. My confusion was that I put in 6 qts and the dipstick showed a level below the “maximum.”

Jose_Gti

Autocross Newbie
I wait like 20 min after engine hot to measure oil level. But yes, after putting the 6 Qt you should be at the top mark.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
I wait like 20 min after engine hot to measure oil level. But yes, after putting the 6 Qt you should be at the top mark.
Yeah I would think so. The manual is so vague. It says warm up to “operating temp” and wait “a few minutes.” Well the oil level at 3 min and 20 min is different lol.