GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Hatch rattle fixed

cbenjes

Go Kart Newbie
After months of hatch rattling, I finally figured out that the hatch itself was OK, but the striker was loose. It was moving and caused the hatch lid to rattle when closing and driving over bumps. I popped off the trip piece that forms the sill of the hatch, took a 13mm wrench and tightened the two nuts that secure the striker to the bottom plate. No more rattles.

90K Carbon clean at NGP is next. I am hoping for some added performance. I had the carbon cleaned off the valves on my Mk6 at 100,000 miles and there was a nice difference in power afterward. Of course, it may also mean a clutch upgrade sooner than later.

One more... Just had the whole front end repainted after a 4x8 sheet of particle board flew up and decided to kiss my front emblem in I-95 at 65 mph. The particle board shattered. I lost the front emblem, part of the grill and gained a couple of scratches, but paid for the hood and fenders to be repainted. VP Auto Collision did a great job! How long does the new paint take to out-gas before I can seal and wax it? I've heard 0 days, 30 days, 60 days.

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI

8T_BoCO

Passed Driver's Ed
After months of hatch rattling, I finally figured out that the hatch itself was OK, but the striker was loose. It was moving and caused the hatch lid to rattle when closing and driving over bumps. I popped off the trip piece that forms the sill of the hatch, took a 13mm wrench and tightened the two nuts that secure the striker to the bottom plate. No more rattles.
Thank you for posting this, cbenjes. I checked both nuts and they were, indeed, loose! My rattle sure sounded like the latch mechanism and this confirms it. Update after driving: tightened nuts = no rear hatch rattle.

Last edited:

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI MT, PP, LP

90K Carbon clean at NGP is next. I am hoping for some added performance. I had the carbon cleaned off the valves on my Mk6 at 100,000 miles and there was a nice difference in power afterward. Of course, it may also mean a clutch upgrade sooner than later.

One more... Just had the whole front end repainted after a 4x8 sheet of particle board flew up and decided to kiss my front emblem in I-95 at 65 mph. The particle board shattered. I lost the front emblem, part of the grill and gained a couple of scratches, but paid for the hood and fenders to be repainted. VP Auto Collision did a great job! How long does the new paint take to out-gas before I can seal and wax it? I've heard 0 days, 30 days, 60 days.

I think I have this going on right now. Has gotten worse as it has gotten colder which just might be coincidental. I need to check this out because it is getting more and more annoying.

SnailpowerMk7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI SE 6SPD MT

Hey man, you wouldn't happen to have a link to somewhere where this was taken apart? Just to make sure I don't break anything, lol. I took a quick gander yesterday in there. Is the trim just a snap off? No hidden screws anywhere that I need to be worried about before yanking on it?

DrFunkalupicus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI S
Hmm. I need to check this out. I have a rattle coming from the hatch now that is getting louder as it gets colder.

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI MT, PP, LP
Hmm. I need to check this out. I have a rattle coming from the hatch now that is getting louder as it gets colder.

Hey dude, I'm going to do this finally this weekend after finding a video online that gives some direction how to remove the rear sill (with as little breaking of anything as possible, lol).

You can clearly see the two nuts on the bolts that hold the latch down with the sill removed. Those apparently are the culprit in that they loosen up.

Let me know how it goes for you.

DrFunkalupicus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI S
Hey dude, I'm going to do this finally this weekend after finding a video online that gives some direction how to remove the rear sill (with as little breaking of anything as possible, lol).

You can clearly see the two nuts on the bolts that hold the latch down with the sill removed. Those apparently are the culprit in that they loosen up.

Let me know how it goes for you.
Thanks for the vid man. I will update you. I am off Friday, so I will tear apart my hatch if I have to. The sound is starting to drive me crazy...and it's so random.

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI MT, PP, LP
Thanks for the vid man. I will update you. I am off Friday, so I will tear apart my hatch if I have to. The sound is starting to drive me crazy...and it's so random.

Hey man, I just took that piece of this weekend to check the bolts. First, it was a lot easier than even looking at the guy do it in the video. I literally just dug my finger nails into the bottom of the plastic trim and pushed directly upwards from 1 side and it popped fairly easily and thankfully nothing broke. Went to the opposite side, did that and the middle comes up fairly easily after both ends are popped up.

I touched both bolts to feel for loose and nothing. I said, let me just get a socket on them just to be sure they don't have some sort of looseness my hands can't torque and still nothing. They didn't budge at all. Sooo... back to the drawing board :( No idea what is making it yet but it definitely sounds to be from the rear. Perhaps the rear seats. I'm going to lower them and drive around. See if that changes anything with the noise. I think someone posted a video indicating somewhere within the rear seats, they can develop a rattle.