GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Handbrake/autohold and auto stop start

Chris43

Go Kart Champion
I have exactly this problem. I am completely familiar with the EPB and like the system. Unfortunately, and also intermittently, when I drive off from a parked position on a hill, the handbrake doesn't hold and the car will roll back (or forward). I am seriously concerned that this fault will cause an accident and yet neither my local dealership or VW are able to come up with any solution. I feel I have an unsafe car...

This happened to me a few times when I first had the car. I put it down to my technique with the accelerator / clutch bite point. I admit its a bit alarming when it first happens

My experience is that if you are a bit slow bringing the clutch up and don't have enough RPM the car disengages the autohold before the clutch has enough grip to take up the drive, thus causing the car to roll.

I'm sorry if I'm teaching you to suck eggs but If I've a steep hill start my technique is to give it about 2000rpm then let the clutch up at a fairly rapid rate. With a manual handbrake you can feather the clutch and accelerator together till you feel the bite, this isn't possible with the EPB, you need to move the pedals differently. If this doesn't work you may well have a problem with the car.

Have you tried going somewhere quiet so you can do a few hill starts and get the feel of the system?

pcr

Ready to race!
Mine is a manual gearbox and I experimented when I got the car and concluded that the EPG is released by how far the clutch is released, nothing to do with the biting point or rpm. Holding the EPB switch up until the clutch bites as you would for a normal handbrake then releasing it will stop the car rolling backwards.

Golfdriver

Electronic Handbrake not holding

Thanks for your helpful reply! On my last visit to the dealership, the Service Manager went to great lengths to demonstrate (on a very steep hill) that there was no need to apply any acceleration since there was enough torque in a diesel engine to move off slowly and autohold to disengage smoothly. And that's how it works for me MOST of the time. When the EPB decides to malfunction, I have to rev the engine extremely highly to stop rolling back or forward...any suggestions are appreciated!

Chris43

Go Kart Champion
EPG is released by how far the clutch is released

Yes, agree with that but I didn't realise you can override it by holding the switch up.

no need to apply any acceleration since there was enough torque in a diesel engine to move off slowly and autohold to disengage smoothly.

I must try that next time...

Golfdriver

Electronic Handbrake not holding

Thanks for this helpful advice. My issue is that the local dealership's service manager went to great lengths to demonstrate on a very steep hill that it was unnecessary to accelerate at all; there was enough torque for the car to move off and release the EPB smoothly with the car moving off as expected. Unfortunately, when the brake malfunctions intermittently only the very highest revving of the engine will persuade the clutch to bite and the car to move where it's supposed to go... Most of the time it's absolutely fine, but when the lack of brake suddenly catches you unawares, you realise you are driving a very dangerous car...nightmare!