GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Handbrake and shifter boot replacement

2010GTI4me

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Autobahn
I made one of those entirely unnecessary purchases a couple weeks back. I bought the Clark plaid DSG shifter and handbrake boot replacements from EuroVerse on Etsy (they may have gone by a different name in the past). Overall, I am pretty pleased with how they turned out, though they are clearly made from seat fabric where the foam backing was scraped away.

My question is, how does everyone go about attaching them or any other custom boots to the plastic trim pieces? The handbrake boot appears to be fused or stamped to the plastic, so I won't have much choice other than cutting it off the plastic frame. I haven't looked too closely into the shifter boot, but I assume it is similar. Would stapling it to the plastic be the best choice, and if so what size staples and stapler would you recommend? Thanks in advance!

Pics to follow...

Reggie Enchilada

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
yes
Just did the install myself a couple of weeks ago. The stock handbrake boot is just lightly glued to the trim piece. Just go on YouTube and search for MK7 handbrake removal. The replacement will slip on to the handle and can just be friction fit when sandwiched in by the trim piece or you can just glue it.

The DSG boot is a PITA to deal with. Do a YouTube search for MK7 DSG boot replacement and follow along. Getting the retainer ring off the knob to release the boot is the worst part. You'll just have to work it free. Don't worry if you break one of the fingers off the bottom of the knob. It will still work just fine with 3, ask me how I know. Don't cut the metal ring when taking the knob off, just pry it open. You'll need it later when reinstalling things

2010GTI4me

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Autobahn
Just did the install myself a couple of weeks ago. The stock handbrake boot is just lightly glued to the trim piece. Just go on YouTube and search for MK7 handbrake removal. The replacement will slip on to the handle and can just be friction fit when sandwiched in by the trim piece or you can just glue it.

The DSG boot is a PITA to deal with. Do a YouTube search for MK7 DSG boot replacement and follow along. Getting the retainer ring off the knob to release the boot is the worst part. You'll just have to work it free. Don't worry if you break one of the fingers off the bottom of the knob. It will still work just fine with 3, ask me how I know. Don't cut the metal ring when taking the knob off, just pry it open. You'll need it later when reinstalling things

I'm familiar with removing both boots. I watched a few different how-to videos on YouTube prior to posting. I was looking for advice on fastening the new fabric to the plastic pieces. I don't think the new handbrake boot would hold without some sort of glue or fastener.

I ended up gluing it down in the same spots as the stock boot, which I ripped off. Here's the end result. Probably tacking the DSG boot tonight or tomorrow.

IMG_6065.jpg
IMG_6068.jpg
IMG_6069.jpg

LowSkyOrbit

Car(s)
2019 Golf SportWagen
I just got their shift boot and e-brake cover as well, but I got the beige versions to match my GSW interior. I'm hoping they go on semi-easy. I'm waiting for my custom Raceseng DSG knob to do the install.

Tooly

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2018 GTI Autobahn
Wish they made this in Alcantara with red stitching to match my Clubsport shifter & boot

Reggie Enchilada

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
yes
I'm assuming that you're talking about the DSG boot. If so, then yes I reused the clamp. Take your time when prying it open and you can easily reuse it. If you do end up having to use something else, a small hose clamp would be the best bet.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
You should be able to resuse the clamp even if you clipped it, just use needle nose pliers to bend it, there's a good amount of extra length.

2010GTI4me

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Autobahn
I think Reggie said it earlier and was right... the DSG boot was a royal pain in the ass. Taking off the clamp and black cap underneath was not fun, but I managed to do so without breaking anything. Not to mention the 15+ staples holding the factory boot in place. I ended up gluing the new boot on like the handbrake. The way all of the pieces of the DSG boot and trim fit together, the fitment was so tight I didn't feel any staples were needed.

Very happy with the finished product:

image0.jpeg
image1.jpeg
image2.jpeg
image3.jpeg

Tooly

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2018 GTI Autobahn
BFI makes an alcantara brake boot. Looks good, especially paired with the alcantara CS boot. I should clean my car up a bit and get some interior with all my alcantara bits.

Yeah but their shipping prices to Canada are ridiculous, costing almost as much as the boot itself. I refuse to support a company that gouges on shipping charges.

2010GTI4me

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Autobahn
Just found out EuroVerse now has a website and offers $10 off orders of $45+ with a coupon code I found on Facebook...
I also paid $50 for each boot on Etsy and they only cost $45 each on their website
:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

bytenik

Car(s)
2017 GTI
Yeah but their shipping prices to Canada are ridiculous, costing almost as much as the boot itself. I refuse to support a company that gouges on shipping charges.

Given that they offer free shipping within the US, I suspect there's something else going on. Import tariffs or such perhaps?